1000 competition !!

Started by frequencycentral/Slade, April 03, 2012, 01:39:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

garcho

Man, what a boring apocalypse.
  • SUPPORTER
"...and weird on top!"

Jdansti

Man, for some reason I was thinking that Thursday was the 21st. I had to live through two days of possible annihilaton.  :-[
  • SUPPORTER
R.G. Keene: EXPECT there to be errors, and defeat them...

Perrow

I was hoping the prize pedal would be presented on the 21st, in keeping with the theme :(
My stompbox wiki -> http://rumbust.net

Keep this site live and ad free, donate a dollar or twenty (and add this link to your sig)

tuckster

Quote from: garcho on December 21, 2012, 10:26:20 PM

I would love to see the faces of the people who really bought UFO tickets :icon_twisted:
  • SUPPORTER

Jdansti

Quote from: tuckster on December 22, 2012, 07:37:57 AM
Quote from: garcho on December 21, 2012, 10:26:20 PM

I would love to see the faces of the people who really bought UFO tickets :icon_twisted:

They probably just think that the UFO broke down on the way to pick them up.  Maybe they forgot to pack the jumper cables. 

It reminds me of when seniors at the high school I went to would sell freshmen "elevator keys" to the nonexistent swimming pool on the roof of one of the school buildings.
  • SUPPORTER

Vince_b

Quote from: Jdansti on December 22, 2012, 02:25:27 PM
It reminds me of when seniors at the high school I went to would sell freshmen "elevator keys" to the nonexistent swimming pool on the roof of one of the school buildings.

It's funny because we had a similar joke when I was in highschool  :icon_lol:

Jdansti

Yeah, we were all freshmen at one time, but it was fun to mess with them as an upperclassman!  We'd probably be arrested now days for some of the things we did, but we didn't hurt anyone (at least not permanently). ;)
  • SUPPORTER

Jdansti

I've moved this post from another thread because it belongs here.

There's chatter today about the lack of a prize.  There could be personal reasons why Rick AND Slade haven't delivered.  While I share everyone's unhappiness that Urs hasn't received his prize that we all paid for, given Rick and Slade's history on the forum, I'm inclined to give them the benefit of the doubt.  

Having said all that, I'm more perturbed that Rick has only communicated to us a couple of times that there are issues, and I haven't seen anything from Slade (maybe I missed it?).  Rick's last post on the forum was 25 Nov, and Slade's was 12 Dec.  I assume that they're breathing.  And those communications didn't have enough information in them to reassure us that Urs would receive his prize soon.

So Rick and Slade, I trust that there is a good reason why the prize hasn't been shipped to Urs.  This not only affects Urs, but also all of the contestants who in good faith paid for the prize. It's time to man up and admit what the problem is.  

If there's a personal problem in your lives that is embarrassing, just say so.  We don't need details.  If there's a problem between the two of you, let us know.  If the partnership has dissolved or if it's a matter of procrastination, own up to it and do what's necessary to get the thing to Urs.  Whatever the problem, tell us when he can expect to have it.

If the problem is something that could drag the wait out indefinitely, say so, and we'll figure out some way to deal with it.

There is a saying, " A man's word is his bond".  A bond is a guarantee of performance of a contract or obligation.  Your word is valuable because behind it is your integrity. The purpose of giving it is so that you deliver exactly what you promise.  I have faith that you guys will live up to your word, but if you can't, at least admit that you failed.

BTW, I'm saying this in public and not in a PM because it involves all of the contestants.
  • SUPPORTER

Govmnt_Lacky

Well said John  :)

I have made quite a few remarks regarding the prize pedal. Trust in the fact that they ALL have been posted as a comical means to get the exact result that John is mentioning above.

I also believe there are good reasons for the pedal not showing and if that is the case then fine... so be it!

HOWEVER........

Keep in mind that several members put in their hard earned money to not only try to win that pedal BUT, also to pay for its construction. I do not think it is asking TOO much to actually see it and/or to get some form of explanation as to why it is SO LONG overdue. I am also not expecting an in-depth explanation but, I would like to know when it can be expected.

I know that both prize providers have their respective businesses and business should come first but, I think it is about time to get back to this commitment. I have seen a few offerings from Slade in the pictures section so I know that he is still working on pedal builds. Rick had been on here sporatically so I know he is doing well.

In the end... I just want to see what I COULD HAVE won as a means of loser's closure  ::)
A Veteran is someone who, at one point in his or her life, wrote a blank check made payable to The United States of America
for an amount of 'up to and including my life.'

Jdansti

^We're on the same page.

I hope that no one takes my comments as meaning that the entry fees are not important. I'm sure that none of us drive down the street throwing $10 bills out of the window. ;)
  • SUPPORTER

Govmnt_Lacky

I am more concerned with the fact that THIS competitions ending will contaminate future competitions  :icon_cry:

This is why the people concerned with running the Turkey Day competition established that ALL prizes would be offered at no expense to the entrants AND that the actual entry fees would be serving the dual purpose of PRIZE and DIYstomp store funding. WIN/WIN for all and the only concern was that the actual competition was conducted "above reproach."

I would LOVE, LOVE, LOVE to see more competitions here and I just hope that this one will be closed out so future prospective entrants will not enter a new competition thinking "Why pay an entry fee and slave over a new pedal when I will never get to win and/or see any prize?"
A Veteran is someone who, at one point in his or her life, wrote a blank check made payable to The United States of America

Jdansti

• SUPPORTER

deadastronaut

just to  say,  i'd be willing to do an etch for Urs prize if slade/ricks too busy.

i know rick does etching too...but i thought i'd offer...  :)
https://www.youtube.com/user/100roberthenry
https://deadastronaut.wixsite.com/effects

chasm reverb/tremshifter/faze filter/abductor II delay/timestream reverb/dreamtime delay/skinwalker hi gain dist/black triangle OD/ nano drums/space patrol fuzz//

Jdansti

^ Very nice of you to offer. Let's hope that won't be necessary.  :)
  • SUPPORTER

Haddock

Hello together,

3 weeks ago i sent a pm to Rick and i get no answer. Its a shame that the competition ends this way and I'm no longer expecting the price! I'm sick of waiting! Im happy about the sympathy of you guys and this is what it really makes worth it!

Thank you.

Merry chrismas and all the best in 2013

Greetings from Switzerland
Urs

Jdansti

You're a good guy, Urs. You haven't uttered one disparaging remark about Rick or Slade, although I don't think that any of us would fault you if you did.

Thank you for the greetings and I hope that you and your family have a joyous Christmas and a happy new year.

All the best from the great state of Texas!
John
  • SUPPORTER

frequencycentral

The end of the world has been and gone.

For reasons best known to Slade, he no longer wished to be a part of this. Which leaves it on me. Great. What if I also wished no longer to be part of this? The whole situation has been quite demoralising for me personally. I had hoped he would reconsider and recant, but it doesn't look like that is going to happen.

Rob (deadastronaut) has stepped up and offered to etch the enclosure for the prize - superb! Massive respect to Rob. I've sent him a PM accepting his help. I'll also be sending a Paypal money request to Slade so I can pass on his share of the build cost to Rob.

So, why should I not just bite the bullet and build the thing myself?

1. It is entirely appropriate that the prize should be a group effort, as was the original intent.
2. My synth/pedal business has skyrocketted this year. I have to put my distributers first if I want my business to continue.
3. I'm personally not too keen on getting sh*t on. This has been a frigging PITA fiasco all round.

That's it, I have nothing else to say. PMs regarding this will not be answered (except you Rob!). Urs will get his prize.
http://www.frequencycentral.co.uk/

Questo è il fiore del partigiano morto per la libertà!

Govmnt_Lacky

@Rick

Thank you for stepping up and explaining the situation. It is a shame that you had to bear the brunt of the work and stress with regards to the prize. It is also a shame that the competition has gotten to this point.

You should know that you have backup here  ;)

An earlier extension of a hand in need of help would have been graciously accepted by your fellow forumites for sure. I would have certainly tried  ;D

It is good to hear about your synth business doing well. Hope you have a prosperous new year.

Definitely a huge "good on ya'" to Rob for offering the assist.

Perrow

There's a saying in Sweden that "everything has an end, except the sausage, it has two", only fitting then that d'Astro would step up for the second ending of this competition ;D
My stompbox wiki -> http://rumbust.net

Keep this site live and ad free, donate a dollar or twenty (and add this link to your sig)

Jdansti

Rick,

Thank you for responding and putting it all out there. Thank you also for deciding to honor your your commitment. 

Quote from: frequencycentral on December 24, 2012, 07:30:17 AM
For reasons best known to Slade, he no longer wished to be a part of this. Which leaves it on me. Great. What if I also wished no longer to be part of this? The whole situation has been quite demoralising for me personally. I had hoped he would reconsider and recant, but it doesn't look like that is going to happen.

I understand how having the whole effort thrust upon you was unfair and demoralizing; however, you should have let us know long before now.  If Slade decided to go back on his word, then he has thrown away his integrity. Why would you want to do that too?

Rob (deadastronaut) has stepped up and offered to etch the enclosure for the prize - superb! Massive respect to Rob. I've sent him a PM accepting his help. I'll also be sending a Paypal money request to Slade so I can pass on his share of the build cost to Rob.

Thank you Rob!!!  Thank you Rick for accepting his help.

So, why should I not just bite the bullet and build the thing myself?

1. It is entirely appropriate that the prize should be a group effort, as was the original intent.

When it became a solo effort, you should have let us know. The group would have understood and we could have figured out a solution.

2. My synth/pedal business has skyrocketted this year. I have to put my distributers first if I want my business to continue.

Congratulations on your business. I've been a customer of yours and you have first rate stuff. Communication is an important aspect of doing business. Your lack of communication tainted your business's image.

3. I'm personally not too keen on getting sh*t on. This has been a frigging PITA fiasco all round.

Sometimes honoring your word is a PITA.  No one wants you to be sh*t on.  You should have let us know sooner. 

Thanks again for honoring your word.
---------------------
To Slade:   
If everything Rick said is true, you are a scoundrel and you have no integrity.  Let us know if there's some reason to believe otherwise.
  • SUPPORTER