My new circuit - "1983 Fuzz" Old School Atari type fuzz

Started by timd, April 09, 2012, 04:21:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

timd

Quote from: nobodysweasel on January 05, 2013, 01:41:10 AM
The schematic I posted worked fine for me, and sounded a whole lot like the sound clips/video posted.  I used the regular version of the 555 (not cmos).  I'd like to see someone else try to confirm it.  It should be pretty quick to throw on the breadboard (just 2 chips and cap).

I've been meaning to mess with the 556 version, but I don't have a 556 on hand.  I might have to try using 2 555's when I've got some time.
I won't be around my stuff for another day or so, so I can't try your layout or work on mine. Can you or anyone else who breadboards yours post a soundclip or video? Thanks.

timd

Alright - I've spent a bunch of time on this update. 556 chip is really overkill here - you don't need a dual timer. A 555 will work just fine. The cap to ground is upped to a 22nf. That capacitor needs to be in place or else: 1. The pot doesn't work  2. The sound is more of a huge distortion (also good!) but not the old school super slammin' consoletastic thing I'm trying to get right. Connection points also changed for the 555. Let me know what you think. I'm do a sound clip or video if any wants one.

petey twofinger

new camera ?

either way it looks good , so close up there too , good job .

it really does clean up with noise towards the end there . the beginning , wow , lotsa hiss .
im learning , we'll thats what i keep telling myself

timd

Yeah - I was doing a lot more videos and treated myself to a new camera. The pot of the 1983 has some range and can get pretty nasty (noise) at one extreme. You're right - it cleans up toward the end of the video when I'm messing around with that pot.

nobodysweasel

Thanks for following through with this.  I guess I sort of had a different idea of how this should sound, based on your latest video.  The earlier sound samples were a bit more clean.  Anyways, I'm glad it got to a point that you're happy with it, but I think I'll keep tweaking until it hits what I'm shooting for.  Thanks for the inspiration.

timd

Hey - No problem. Let me know what you come up with! Did you hear it clean up toward the end of the video? It starts out really noisy, but gets alot better when you turn the pot clockwise.

Nyklus

somebody mentioned Using a higher cap to ground for a bassier sound earlier in this thread,
I just wonder if you could two cap of if this would create some sort of problem for the circuit, or if there'd be a crazy volume jump.
also im not such a fan of that hiss but kudos fir thattone at the. those harmonies are fantastic

timd

I haven't tried the bigger cap, but I should soon. Also, I didn't use 100 uf cap power supply filter. That could reduce the hiss. Also, a different size pot/housing the circuit could reduce it as well.

Nyklus

I don't have  many parts handy so whatever you findout
what ever variables you ind work please post. I'm interested in building this, it's so simple.

kodiakklub

Uoki-Toki

duck_arse

this is an odd thread. I started on this page, then went back to pages 1 and 2. did anyone see the whacking big short pin9 to ground on the first version?

I think the output cap is being wired wrong as well. @ nobodysweasel - if you turn the cap w/ positive poining to the 555, and add a largish value resistor, 100k ~ 1M to ground from the minus of the cap, it will then know what it is supposed to be doing, charge-wise. and in the circuit kodiak posted just above, C1 is backwards, as the pot references one end to ground.
You hold the small basket while I strain the gnat.

timd

Wow...this is a blast from the past. I still have the original pedal I made with the 556 chip, and I was messing with it recently. It is buggy though. On certain knob settings, it cuts out and doesn't play well with other pedals. If any drive is placed before it, its too much for the 1983 to handle, and it cuts out. Any thoughts are welcome, as I might try to redesign a working 1983 fuzz.

duck_arse

can you show us a circuit diagram as you built?
You hold the small basket while I strain the gnat.