My new circuit - "1983 Fuzz" Old School Atari type fuzz

Started by timd, April 09, 2012, 04:21:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

timd

Here is my first circuit. I named it 1983 fuzz because it reminded me of the sounds of Atari/Colecovision from the early 80's. I prototyped it on a breadboard, then wired up a permanent copy and it works great!

rutabaga bob

Life is just a series of obstacles preventing you from taking a nap...

"I can't resist a filter" - Kipper

petey twofinger

im learning , we'll thats what i keep telling myself

alex_spaceman

timd

That's hilarious - I never though of that. My first CPU had a 486sx in it...sound clip coming very soon!

timd

Here it is!

The last few seconds of the clip really show the old school quality I love about the pedal.

http://soundcloud.com/tim-diederich/1983-fuzz-sample

timd

Oh, if you plan on making one, the 100 ohm resistor from the power supply might not be needed. On a breadboard, it worked fine without it. Once I soldered my circuit, it kept crashing on me about 5-10 seconds in. I added the 100 ohm or so (I think I settled on an 80) resistor, and it worked fine. Weird.

nobodysweasel

All of a sudden I feel like a 5 year old playing video games again.  I'll have to give this one a shot one of these days.

timd

Please do! Let me know how the build turns out - its fun and pretty easy! Also, if anyone has any suggestions, please let me know!

blooze_man

Big Muff, Trotsky Drive, Little Angel, Valvecaster, Whisker Biscuit, Smash Drive, Green Ringer, Fuzz Face, Rangemaster, LPB1, Bazz Fuss/Buzz Box, Radioshack Fuzz, Blue Box, Fuzzrite, Tonepad Wah, EH Pulsar, NPN Tonebender, Torn's Peaker...

petey twofinger

one of those sounds was similar to the 2600 game "raiders of the lost ark" , the noise you get when indy dies .

thanks for sharing this , at some point , when i get time this is goin on a breadboard .

timd

That's great stuff Petey. I finally completed a circuit I was proud enough to share, and the sharing/helping nature of this forum is tremendous. You should build the 386 Fuzz. I cannot stop playing mine and now the bass player in my band wants one too - it sounds great with guitar or bass.

petey twofinger

thanks for sharing that man .

i actually have a 556 chip or two here , and the 386's as well .

its on the list , i want something like that just for "fun" . circuits like this get extra bonus points from me cause they are exactly the opposite than the typical attitude of " i need a pedal to nail the sound of my dimed marshul" .... "sustain for days ? " you'll be lucky to squeeze an 1/8th note out of this sucker  :icon_cool:  :icon_lol:

timd

Yeah, when it comes to circuits, I can often be "against the grain" in my search for new and bizarre sounds. That's one of the reasons DIY pedals really got me going in the first place. Because of demand, major pedal manufacturers don't waste thier money making "fun" or "strange" pedals. You can do what you please if you do it yourself though....to an extent.

stonerbox

There is nothing more to be said or to be done tonight, so hand me over my violin and let us try to forget for half an hour the miserable weather and the still more miserable ways of our fellowmen. - Holmes

petey twofinger

OT , but yesterday i accidentally "figured out" how to mimic the "Pac Man" death rattle , using a sustainiac , high hain distorion and the whammy bar . i lolled .

seriously OT , i read in an adrian belew interview he said when he was a kid he saw Maury Ampsterdam on the tonight show goofing off doing sound effects with a cello . he said he did seagulls and something else . that is so awesome .

Ultrakd

Guitars: Ibanez S570DXQM
Amps:  Peavey ValveKing 112, Roland 15XL
Pedals: Big Muff w/ Tone & Wicker, Original Crybaby w/Modifications, BYOC Overdrive 2, Danelectro Cool Cat Chorus, Boss PH-3, Wave Breaker Tremolo,

Colonel Angus

That sounds rad! I just ordered some dual timers too
Quote from: frequencycentral on June 16, 2012, 12:59:15 PM
Why should you not have 90o angles? Do the electrons bunch up in the corners?

timd

Let me know how the build turns out! I had an idea about adding another 556 chip in the design with 2 more pots, but I don't know if the signal will reach that far. I might have to add another 386 too.  Any suggestions?

I'll be making/posting a youtube video of the finished in the painted case version hopefully early next week.