Question - Building a curve tracer

Started by Electron Tornado, January 07, 2024, 06:20:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Electron Tornado

I'm building a curve tracer based on an octopus circuit, but with a sin wave generator to give variable frequencies.

Here is a question - what voltages would be most useful for the sin wave signal? Voltages of 1V and 100mV would be useful. Any others?

• SUPPORTER
"Corn meal, gun powder, ham hocks, and guitar strings"

Who is John Galt?

GibsonGM

I don't know, but I'd like to see the circuit to adapt an octopus into a curve tracer...
  • SUPPORTER
MXR Dist +, TS9/808, Easyvibe, Big Muff Pi, Blues Breaker, Guv'nor.  MOSFace, MOS Boost,  BJT boosts - LPB-2, buffers, Phuncgnosis, FF, Orange Sunshine & others, Bazz Fuss, Tonemender, Little Gem, Orange Squeezer, Ruby Tuby, filters, octaves, trems...

merlinb

Quote from: Electron Tornado on January 07, 2024, 06:20:15 PMHere is a question - what voltages would be most useful for the sin wave signal? Voltages of 1V and 100mV would be useful.   
Why not use a pot so you can have any amplitude of sine?

GibsonGM

Quote from: PRR on January 07, 2024, 06:49:54 PM
Quote from: GibsonGM on January 07, 2024, 06:37:54 PMto adapt an octopus

https://www.nutsvolts.com/magazine/article/build-an-oscilloscope-octopus

Thanks, Paul...I have an octopus....curious how you'd take that and build what the OP is trying to do, variable frequency and so on.  Thus far doing it manually on paper (for tubes) has worked out fine tho.
  • SUPPORTER
MXR Dist +, TS9/808, Easyvibe, Big Muff Pi, Blues Breaker, Guv'nor.  MOSFace, MOS Boost,  BJT boosts - LPB-2, buffers, Phuncgnosis, FF, Orange Sunshine & others, Bazz Fuss, Tonemender, Little Gem, Orange Squeezer, Ruby Tuby, filters, octaves, trems...

Electron Tornado

Quote from: merlinb on January 08, 2024, 05:02:19 AM
Quote from: Electron Tornado on January 07, 2024, 06:20:15 PMHere is a question - what voltages would be most useful for the sin wave signal? Voltages of 1V and 100mV would be useful.   
Why not use a pot so you can have any amplitude of sine?

I thought of that, but it doesn't seem that there needs to be that fine of a control over the test voltages. Examples I've seen use whatever voltage they get from the AC transformer secondary as their max test voltage with a voltage divider selecting a few different voltages.

• SUPPORTER

Who is John Galt?

Electron Tornado

Quote from: GibsonGM on January 08, 2024, 07:23:12 AMThanks, Paul...I have an octopus....curious how you'd take that and build what the OP is trying to do, variable frequency and so on.  Thus far doing it manually on paper (for tubes) has worked out fine tho.

With a simple octopus, you are limited to a single test frequency of 50/60Hz. The Huntron Tracker has more than one frequency available. An octopus is just a sine wave at a certain (or selectable) voltage with current limiting. So, why not use a sine wave oscillator with variable frequency? That might be more useful when testing reactive components. My question on test voltage may just come down to what is the max voltage I really need? That drives the power supply design as well as how much the sine wave needs to be amplified.

From what I've read of other octopus designs, the max voltage is probably not terribly critical, though I would like to know if there is a recommended maximum.
  • SUPPORTER

Who is John Galt?