dod pedals...where to get restoration parts?

Started by pinkjimiphoton, April 19, 2012, 12:17:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pinkjimiphoton

didn't realize dod's were no longer made, and i've been getting a plethora of them lately in barter for stuff i've built.

but...where do i get parts for them? is it even possible to find?

i can bid on ebay on broken ones of course, but the ocd part of me will wanna fix them, too.

any suggestions? ;)

i need mainly the nuts to hold the pots down, maybe some knobs, and a backplate or two...i don't care about the battery door, they were so poorly designed they'll just get lost again anyways.

:D

leads appreciated!!

• SUPPORTER
"When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace."
Slava Ukraini!
"try whacking the bejesus outta it and see if it works again"....
~Jack Darr

Earthscum

DOD site has a store. I would link but I am mobile. I gots me an EQ B that needs slide pots but they never answered back about which ones I need so it sits.
Give a man Fuzz, and he'll jam for a day... teach a man how to make a Fuzz and he'll never jam again!

http://www.facebook.com/Earthscum

pinkjimiphoton

i tried that already...the "e-commerce site" or whatever 404's.

also tried mailing tech support...no reply yet (the wind howls in the distance...)

gotta feed my addiction...lol. i never considered dod pedals as useful, but finding some of 'em sound really good...tho most of their distortions all sound kinda similar to me.

the collection keeps growing.

i need a backplate and knobs for a classic tube i got going out of some junk i got for one of my inexact klones.

but i got a pds1002 delay, and THOSE were fun...and it needs knobs and nuts mostly. those things grounded funny, it was one of the pots if memory serves...

right now if i plug it in, i get b+ to d1, and it all stops at the 7805...dead.
i'magonna try and replace it and see if the circuit juices. i figure, if there's no voltage anywhere after a component, and voltage before it odds are that parts cooked.

wow, i think i just channelled jack darr for a moment. i mean, i'm a hack and an idiot with this stuff, but it sure seems logical.

unless something beyond it drew enough current to blow the little sucker out.

trying to learn here, so, the more dead dod's the better i guess. ;)
  • SUPPORTER
Slava Ukraini!
~Jack Darr

Earthscum

If you ever come across an FX-17 wah, I'll be willing to make some kind of trade. I wanna get my hands on another 1 or 2... They're actually pretty useful pedals, and sound great when you convert it to all LP instead of the resonant peak.
Give a man Fuzz, and he'll jam for a day... teach a man how to make a Fuzz and he'll never jam again!

pinkjimiphoton

i actually loved the wah in those...and they were cool!! maybe we should clone one dave  :icon_mrgreen:
  • SUPPORTER
Slava Ukraini!
~Jack Darr

DougH

I just got a DOD Milk Box compressor from craigslist. It is really an awesome compressor pedal. Much prefer it over my old CS2. The high expansion control keeps it from sounding muddy and it can sound very natural.

I also got an old DOD 270(?) A/B box from the guy for $10. Very durable box. Completely passive- 1 switch, 3 jacks. Switches the common to A or B and grounds the other one. For the price it's not worth building myself. Lots of fun switching between 2 amps.

I have some other DOD stuff that is fair to midllin' but these 2 are pretty useful.
"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you."

zombiwoof

The DOD site used to have a parts store, it only had certain parts like pots, switches, etc. (no battery doors or replacement bottom plates), but it has now been deleted on the site.  I sent an email to DOD/Digitech and they said they still have some of those parts, but you have to contact them by phone or email to buy the parts now.  Your best bet for some of the parts that can't be found is buying broken DOD pedals from Ebay and getting the parts you need from those.

As for the Milk Box comp that someone mentioned, it is a great comp and very under-rated.  With the numerous controls, you can dial in just about any type of compression you want with it.  I have quite a few comp pedals, and it rates right up there with the best of them.

Al

pinkjimiphoton

i really liked the milkbox. i'm watching the old fx90 analog delay on evilbay right now. but...i gotta rat shack reverb, which sounds almost the same. ;)

thanks for the advice...i'll try calling them. hope they don't rape me too bad.  :icon_mrgreen:
  • SUPPORTER
Slava Ukraini!
~Jack Darr

Earthscum

Quote from: pinkjimiphoton on April 19, 2012, 01:25:56 PM
i actually loved the wah in those...and they were cool!! maybe we should clone one dave  :icon_mrgreen:

got schematics in hand, I'll crank up the scope tonight and start probing the PWM and see what it's gonna take to convert it to run off of a linear wah pot (that should enable us to keep the 5V out without smoothing kinks from a taper pot, and they aren't exactly scarce). I really think the single OTA (apparently I do not have the schematic here, CA3080) is gonna be the biggest part.,,,,

pinkjimiphoton

well, i have ca3080's....

;)

do it up!! that would be cool to build one of them, i have a couple spare crybaby shells at the moment!! ;)

what i really liked was that you could do a control voltage with them... i could put one in a wah and switch between the wah/ and volume...and i bet i could still get the 0-5v control voltage from a secondary jack  to control say the expression input on my old me5.

:D
  • SUPPORTER
Slava Ukraini!
~Jack Darr

Earthscum

CV is definitely awesome. I gotta hit storage and pull out the Boss ME. I forgot you can run exp in.
The other parts I can think of are the typical DOD stuff like CD 4007 switching, and the filter is LM13600.

pinkjimiphoton

i'll order whatever i don't have already bro. cool!
  • SUPPORTER
Slava Ukraini!
~Jack Darr

Steve Mavronis

I got these 1" diameter knobs from Small Bear Electronics. They are exactly like the old DOD knobs. Looks great on my YJM308 Overdrive and 250 clone!

http://www.smallbearelec.com/servlet/Detail?no=739

Black Fluted Silver Center Lge, Dot Index
SKU: 0808B
Guitar > Neo-Classic 741 Overdrive > Boss NS2 Noise Suppressor > DOD BiFET Boost 410 > VHT Special 6 Ultra Combo Amp Input > Amp Send > MXR Carbon Copy Analog Delay > Boss RC3 Loop Station > Amp Return

pinkjimiphoton

• SUPPORTER
Slava Ukraini!
~Jack Darr

pinkjimiphoton

heard from dod...

they don't have parts, or offer any support.

no surprise here. ;)
  • SUPPORTER
Slava Ukraini!
~Jack Darr

Earthscum

Did you ask if we can clone their stuff without getting sued?  :icon_mrgreen: (I'm sure someone would've been sued by now if they were concerned). Making some FX-17 boxes would be really easy. Hard part would be finding the spring steel needed for the variable cap, but the rest is simple folded aluminum, plastic sheet, felt friction pad, and a hardened steel rod.

pinkjimiphoton

hoo boy, we better farm it out to china. ;)

i'm thinking as long as it works, it would rock...even if (SACRILEGE!!) it ends up in ...yet another crybaby shell.

;)

as for sewage...sheesh, it ain't like we're selling the damned things. :D
  • SUPPORTER
Slava Ukraini!
~Jack Darr

Ronan

A pot could be used to generate the CV in a standard shell. The wah section of the FX-17 is a fairly simple circuit, low component count, the sound clips sound very good to me.

pinkjimiphoton

i was thinking it wouldn't be too hard to implement, ian...

dumb question, can ya still do a control voltage with optos tho?

it'd be cool to not have a pot to get scratchy. the original was pretty ingenuous, i thought, the way it was implemented.

i think they could be built outta rat shack metal project boxes like i often use...but i don't  know if those things would stand up very well in a wah style pedal, which is a shame, cuz
it's just about the right size and everything. all somebody would have to do is trim down the back side of the bottom part, if that makes any sense.

they are great pedals, and wicked useful!!
  • SUPPORTER
Slava Ukraini!
~Jack Darr

Earthscum

I gotta bread board it, but I think the CV can be controlled with a pot without any scratchy. I've been mulling numbers all day, and just ran the o-scope (oscillator on the thing runs at 1.06MHz!). It's hard to get a probe into where I need AND rock the treadle, but I think I gots a handle on it. Gonna toss up a thread about it maybe tonight or tomorrow morning. Got it down to eliminating the cmos switching, will use a DPDT stomp and DPDT toggle and keep the original scheme. I also have the LP mod (SPDT toggle) to throw at it.  :icon_biggrin: