String Ringer build.

Started by digi2t, April 20, 2012, 09:44:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Govmnt_Lacky

Quote from: Bucket on December 15, 2021, 01:01:14 PM
Hm, now I'm even more confused  :o

The PDFs (1.2 and 1.3) both clearly list a 1k trimmer on the BOM and on the layout and it doesn't look like either of the trimmers you linked would fit. Am I looking at something different?

Cannot see your pics on my computer however, I am looking at the Dead End FX build doc for the String Ringer right now (updated 24 November 2018) and in the BOM it lists TRIM 1 as 5K and TRIM2 as 100K for the main board. It lists TRIM-B1 as 100K for the daughter board. All 3 of them are going to require the 3296W form factor.

Are we talking about the same pedal build? From the same site??
A Veteran is someone who, at one point in his or her life, wrote a blank check made payable to The United States of America
for an amount of 'up to and including my life.'

Bucket

Quote from: Govmnt_Lacky on December 15, 2021, 02:37:20 PM
Quote from: Bucket on December 15, 2021, 01:01:14 PM
Hm, now I'm even more confused  :o

The PDFs (1.2 and 1.3) both clearly list a 1k trimmer on the BOM and on the layout and it doesn't look like either of the trimmers you linked would fit. Am I looking at something different?

Cannot see your pics on my computer however, I am looking at the Dead End FX build doc for the String Ringer right now (updated 24 November 2018) and in the BOM it lists TRIM 1 as 5K and TRIM2 as 100K for the main board. It lists TRIM-B1 as 100K for the daughter board. All 3 of them are going to require the 3296W form factor.

Are we talking about the same pedal build? From the same site??

We are looking at two different PDFs! I was looking at the two that had been posted here in this thread (v1.2 & v1.3). Of course I should have checked the Deadend page! Apologies for the confusion, now to start over on this shopping list...

soldersqueeze

I have been going through some old boxes that haven't been opened in years and I found a bit of a relic...

This was etched a long while back and predates the dead end FX board by a few years. The traces have oxidised a little, but only to the point where it's a bit of a matte finish, nothing damaging or worrying.
So begins an old fashioned string ringer build!
I'm using 1m for R64, 464r resistors in place of 460r resistors, a VTL5C3 with a 5k trimmer and 680r resistor, and a UC3611 array in place of D5-D8.
Does that sound like a decent plan to those who have built this version? It doesn't line up exactly with the deadend BOM but I've stuck with the 1.3 BOM as my guide.
Any input warmly welcomed.

pacealot

Over fourteen months later and I finally completed my build from the most recent DEFX boards, and I can't really answer soldersqueeze's questions, other than that I used the components as listed in the most recent build document from 2018 and everything works just as it seems it ought to (I didn't bother searching for 460Ω or similarly arcane or non-existent resistors and subbed in ordinary 470Ω ones instead to no ill effect).

However, my concerns about the installation of the transformers were warranted, as their chassis indeed can't be mounted to the daughterboard and do need to be proactively insulated from the connecting terminals which are directly under them or else they will short them together and the circuit won't work correctly. In this instance, a double layer of electrical tape under each transformer worked fine, and thus far the component leads seem to be strong enough to hold the trafos in place. But it is the only weak area of the PCB design, and perhaps a small note on the subject in the build doc might help (relative) newbies around my level (in my case, new at least to this level of assembly). It stands out because all the other components are clearly marked on the PCB and so nearly impossible to install incorrectly that even I got them right! I even considered designing and etching a custom alternative daughterboard, but I decided to persevere with what came with to save time, mental energy and additional frustration.

Otherwise, what a remarkable and ridiculous pedal! My friend for whom I built it played Wurlitzer piano through it when I first gave it to him, and he never got the same sound twice all evening...
"When a man assumes, he makes an ass out of some part of you and me."