THE ENGINEER'S THUMB... At last, a better compressor!

Started by merlinb, April 21, 2012, 10:17:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

micmac1

Quote from: merlinb on January 18, 2024, 10:43:08 AM
Quote from: micmac1 on January 16, 2024, 06:27:39 PMIt says that I should read 3.9V on pin 14 of U1 (TL074). I do measure 3.9V, but after a few seconds it goes up to a little bit over 8V.
Possibly that is only happening because your voltmeter is attached, allowing current to leak through the transistor while the opamp is desperately trying to turn it off.

Hello merlin, thanks for the reply!

In the meantime I got myself a better multimeter (UT61E+) with 10M input impedance. Wanted to buy one anyway and this was as good an occasion as any. My old one had only 1M. But still, after four seconds it veers from 3.9V to ~8V :)

I have a PedalPCB Thumb Sucker as well and on its equivalent pin 7 I measure a steady 3.9V, it never goes higher. I think the Thumb Sucker is somewhere between ET version 2 and version 3.

So I'm still wondering what this is about, whether it's due to my assembling of the pedal or due to any changes between the different ET versions. Did you (or anybody else here) build a version 4 ET and measure a steady 3.9V on pin 14?

I still have 2 PCBs left, so I think I'll build this again and check if my 2nd attempt behaves differently.

Thanks!
Seb

micmac1

Hi all,

I finished my second ET4. Still same measurement on pin 14, it's 3.9V when compressing and then it goes up to a little over 8V when idle. I don't think I did anything wrong. I went with the build instructions provided, leaving out the compression LED and jumpering R23 and the LED. Seems to be how it is.

I'll leave it at that. The ET4s are identical to my older ET"2.5" pedal, except that the ET4s have two knobs less and the signal sounds maybe a hair "fresher" coming out of the ET4s. They all work like a boss :)

Posted some pics here: Link to musikding forum post

Have a great day!
Seb

merlinb

Quote from: micmac1 on January 31, 2024, 01:26:27 PMI finished my second ET4. Still same measurement on pin 14, it's 3.9V when compressing and then it goes up to a little over 8V when idle.
OK I just dug out my ET and checked. It does exactly the same thing you describe! And I've just noticed why: in earlier issues I included a diode in the feedback loop of that opamp, but I was pushed for space and removed it from Iss.4. It's not really a problem, but you could always add it if it bothers you.

micmac1

Thank you merlin for the confirmation!

I'm not bothered by this. I was bothered by this when finishing my first ET4, because the build PDF mentioned a steady 3.9V and I didn't see that on my build. So I thought I must have done something wrong.

Maybe, if you can find the time, can you please update the build PDF accordingly, so that builders don't start chasing a non-issue (like I did).

Thanks again! Have a great day!

Seb

DrAlx

BC327 has absolute max rating of -5V for Vbe. So even with pin 14 going high, the BE voltage appears to keep within limits for that part.
But I'm using 2N5087 as the PNP in my ETv4 build, and that has a lower max rating of -3V for Vbe. So the BE voltage limit of the 2N5087 is exceeded when my ET is idle.  My build has so far seemed to survive without that protection diode across the BE junction, but I don't know if the 2N5087 has been damaged as a result. I reckon the diode across the BE junction should probably be included as in the earlier ET versions.

merlinb

Quote from: DrAlx on February 01, 2024, 05:37:11 PMBC327 has absolute max rating of -5V for Vbe. So even with pin 14 going high, the BE voltage appears to keep within limits for that part.
The reverse Vbe rating I think is related to the Zener behaviour of the b-e junction, so the max quoted on the datasheet probably assumes a supply that could dump dangerous levels of current into it, which the ET cannot do. But yeah, the diode is a good fail safe.

PRR

Quote from: DrAlx on February 01, 2024, 05:37:11 PMBE voltage limit of the 2N5087 is exceeded when

Then it comes to the maximum current. Current is limited by the 1k resistor and available voltage, say 5mA. The gain junctions in small devices often stand 10mA(*), tho the 2N5087 does not say that.

While I think it is OK, it does seem like the diode is a Very Good Idea.

(*) Up to a point, breakdown is not fatal to the major transistor parameters. However even slight breakdown can spoil self-hiss and offset voltage parameters. in The Thumb, neither is critical.
  • SUPPORTER