THE ENGINEER'S THUMB... At last, a better compressor!

Started by merlinb, April 21, 2012, 10:17:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

samhay

Quote from: tombaker on September 16, 2014, 06:15:03 AM
Will a charge pump do any good?
A max1044 voltage doubler specifically.
I searched the thread and can only find a mention of it from midwayfair early on but no follow up.
The IC and transistor datasheets will allow it but what other considerations should I be taking into account?
Thanks

http://www.diystompboxes.com/smfforum/index.php?topic=97123.msg912480#msg912480
I'm a refugee of the great dropbox purge of '17.
Project details (schematics, layouts, etc) are slowly being added here: http://samdump.wordpress.com

tombaker

Blue Box, Harmonic Perculator, Brian May Treble Boost, Klon Vero, Fuzz Face Germ/Sili, Echo Base Delay, CS-3 Monte Allums Mod, JLM 1290 Mic Pres, JLM Mono Mic Pres, Engineer's Thumb, A/B/C & A/B boxes, Tiny Giant Amp, Microamp

merlinb

Higher / bipolar rail voltages are not directly applicable to this circuit. It is optimised for 9V. With more voltage the circuit needs modifying to ensure the OTA can't be burnt out by excessive control current. The end result is that this doesn't really buy you any extra headroom, because you have to turn the gain up proportionally to get the same level of comrpession as with the stock 9V circuit. This might be suitable for studio applications, but not direct guitar use.

tombaker

Quote from: merlinb on September 16, 2014, 10:43:36 AM
Higher / bipolar rail voltages are not directly applicable to this circuit. It is optimised for 9V. With more voltage the circuit needs modifying to ensure the OTA can't be burnt out by excessive control current. The end result is that this doesn't really buy you any extra headroom, because you have to turn the gain up proportionally to get the same level of comrpession as with the stock 9V circuit. This might be suitable for studio applications, but not direct guitar use.

Hey Merlin,
Thanks for addressing that. I have the ET installed in a small DI box in front of a transformer and I use it between my soft synths and the FOH desk at live gigs.
It helps to keep the different synth/piano/organ patches closer in loudness and the transformer smooths out some of the nasty high frequencies from the computer.
But I still run it off a 9V onespot along with my guitar pedals.
Blue Box, Harmonic Perculator, Brian May Treble Boost, Klon Vero, Fuzz Face Germ/Sili, Echo Base Delay, CS-3 Monte Allums Mod, JLM 1290 Mic Pres, JLM Mono Mic Pres, Engineer's Thumb, A/B/C & A/B boxes, Tiny Giant Amp, Microamp

Cozybuilder

Finally got around to finishing mine- thanks Merlin for a superb circuit design. This build uses 16mm Alpha pots, ΒΌ watt resistors (except the LED 22K), follows the original schematic.

Obligatory gut shot

What's under the card

Some people drink from the fountain of knowledge, others just gargle.

mth5044

Nicely done! You are indeed a cozy builder. That's tight.

Merlin - I'm not familiar with studio type compressors and whatnot - what does a gain reduction meter indicate? A real time level of compression?

duck_arse

I see letraset, just as I remember it ^. nice work, cozy, I like the thumb-print.
You hold the small basket while I strain the gnat.

orangepit

Cozybuilder

Some people drink from the fountain of knowledge, others just gargle.

orangepit

Thanks. It's funny how we both envisioned our future pedals as yellow with a black thumbprint on it  8)

merlinb

Quote from: mth5044 on September 29, 2014, 09:57:00 AM
I'm not familiar with studio type compressors and whatnot - what does a gain reduction meter indicate? A real time level of compression?
Yes, it shows by how much the signal has been squashed compared with what it would have been without the compressor working. It allows you to see when the compressor is actually doing something!

Cozybuilder- it's sooo tiny!  ;D

bloxstompboxes

Gotta ask a dumb question here. I see there is a 10M resistor at the input going to gnd. It's in the usual pull-down position. Any reason why so high a value? i have none of these and neither does smallbear. I haven't wired this up yet as i need to order the NJM13600D. Seems a 1 meg would be fine. I went ahead and put in the largest I have, a 4.7M. Just wondering.

Floor-mat at the front entrance to my former place of employment. Oh... the irony.

samhay

A 4M7 will work just fine as an input pulldown resistor.
I suspect that Merlin specs a 10M as it is an order of magnitude bigger than the input bias resistor. It can thus be largely ignored in determining the input impedance, which is ~ 1M - a fairly common modern standard.
I'm a refugee of the great dropbox purge of '17.
Project details (schematics, layouts, etc) are slowly being added here: http://samdump.wordpress.com

bloxstompboxes

Floor-mat at the front entrance to my former place of employment. Oh... the irony.

merlinb

Quote from: wacko on May 09, 2015, 03:20:02 PM
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/57831278/TheEngineersThumbGTI.pdf
Are these still available? Dropbox says the file is not found :(
I have fixed the PDF link, but I can't seem to find the bitmap at the moment...

bloxstompboxes

I have my own layout available if necessary. Might be larger and not as tidy, but it works.

wacko

Quote from: merlinb on May 10, 2015, 11:25:12 AM
Quote from: wacko on May 09, 2015, 03:20:02 PM
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/57831278/TheEngineersThumbGTI.pdf
Are these still available? Dropbox says the file is not found :(
I have fixed the PDF link, but I can't seem to find the bitmap at the moment...

That is great, thank you!!!

Was the bitmap the same black&white mask that's in the pdf?

merlinb

Quote from: wacko on May 10, 2015, 01:06:06 PM
Was the bitmap the same black&white mask that's in the pdf?
Yes the very same.