not another diy splitter thread

Started by Carnegie Fool, April 25, 2012, 08:05:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Carnegie Fool

hello the good people DIYstompboxes.com

i am looking to build a stereo splitter so i can plug my guitar into both an amp and my sound card/computer at the same time. i record songs using line6 software so i don't need to record the amp but i do have problems with latency and would like to be able to crank the amp, and mute the guitar track when recording.

i want to maintain the sustain, tone and volume i get from my guitar, so i figure hacking up an old lead wiring another lead to the end of it wouldn't quite cut the mustard.

in addition (this parts very optional, depending skill and cost) i have always wanted to traditional style switcher for an old amp i have with 2 inputs(clean, dist) so i was thinking of attempting to put it all in one and have a little toggle switch to change the modes

thanks for your time.

p.s. i better add this is going to be my first attempt of building a pedal, i have done soldering before and i understand a little bit of what transformers are and that jazz

Carnegie Fool

sorry just read the "ask for schematics here www.blahblahblah.com(not the actual link)"

i'll re post this in that thread but any information that you guys have on this ideal pedal of mine would be great

thanks

waltk

I made a special-purpose splitter similar to what you're describing. It has:

1 mono guitar input
1 "effects loop" (an output and an input)
1 amp output
1 stereo recording output

I designed it as a recording interface so I could play guitar and hear it through my amp, and at the same time record it.  Here's the odd thing about it - the stereo recording output uses one channel  for the guitar-with-effect signal, and one channel for the guitar-without-effect signal.  Why would anyone want this?  Here are a few uses for it:

A-B the effect on playback and hear the sample with/without an effect.  This is cool because you can get a direct apples-to-apples comparison even for a subtle effect.  You just swing the stereo balance left and right on playback.

Mix the straight guitar with the effect.

Make a video (and add the recording as the soundtrack) to demo the effect.

Do digital post-processing on the un-effected signal to see what it takes to match the effect.

Depending on what you use to record it, I guess you could even compare wave-forms by playing it back through an o-scope (haven't actually tried this).

Carnegie Fool

wow that's actually a really cool idea, that would work really well with one of those tech 21 amp sim pedals.

have you got a schematic of it, i world definitively consider making that

thanks for the responses

runmikeyrun

http://www.muzique.com/lab/splitter.htm

This is a great splitter, completely transparent and works with bass and guitar.  Use this schem, just eliminate the lowest leg of the circuit (not needed, it's a 3rd output).

Bassist for Foul Spirits
Head tinkerer at Torch Effects
Instagram: @torcheffects

Dislikes: old women

waltk

There's an extra A/B switch on the layout that isn't represented on the schematic