Rehousing - easy to do?

Started by kenyanscott, August 12, 2017, 05:40:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

kenyanscott

Hi guys I have the following three pedals

EHX - holy grail (old style)
EHX - pulsar (old large box style)
EHX - big muff

They all run off the phono style power supply and are all basically cumbersome boxes.

Is it easy to rehouse in smaller boxes and change the power supply type to that of the type boss use to it's easier to use a power bank or daisy chain?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

EBK

It will all come down to how large the circuit boards are.
  • SUPPORTER
Technical difficulties.  Please stand by.

R.G.

Unfortunately, "easy" is not a term that has a specific meaning. It only has meaning relative to YOUR  current state of skill, experience, and tooling. If your only tools are normal pliers, a file, and a #2 Phillips screwdriver, and what you've read on the internet in the last two weeks, it's not going to be easy. If you have years of electronics construction experience, and a well-equipped tool bench with both electronic and mechanical tools, it will be much easier.

I find the electronics parts very easey, but the mechanical construction and adaptation much harder. To me, it would be easier to use daisy chaining and perhaps changing out the power jack. As an alternative, rebuilding the circuits in some smaller PCB would be easy - for me.

For you, "easy" is highly specific to your skill and experience. I guess one way to answer your question is for you to open up your boxes and look at the PCBs and wiring. If you don't immediately see how you would do the transplants, then no, it's not going to be easy.
R.G.

In response to the questions in the forum - PCB Layout for Musical Effects is available from The Book Patch. Search "PCB Layout" and it ought to appear.