True bypass not true bypassing

Started by timd, May 15, 2012, 06:31:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

timd

I have had issues with true bypass in the past. I have made an APC/Mims Oscillator into a guitar pedal and an AM/FM radio into a guitar pedal - both with true bypass. The issue with both is that I can hear the signal (though with a lower volume) with bypassed. I thought true bypass was an all or nothing deal. Any thoughts?

kodiakklub

what schematic are you using for the TB?

kodiakklub

grounded input true bypass. as simple as it can get.

Jdansti

Quote from: timd on May 15, 2012, 09:35:49 PM
This one:

http://www.sabrotone.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/01/TrueBypassWiring.jpg

It looks to me like the drawing is using the enclosure to provide a ground path between the input and output jacks. You might want to try a jumper between the two ground lugs on the jacks. If the bleed-through goes away, you probably don't have one or both jacks well grounded to the enclosure.
  • SUPPORTER
R.G. Keene: EXPECT there to be errors, and defeat them...

timd

Does the fact that these circuits are a source of sound themselves also matter in some way????

timd

Quote from: Jdansti on May 15, 2012, 09:57:08 PM
Quote from: timd on May 15, 2012, 09:35:49 PM
This one:

http://www.sabrotone.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/01/TrueBypassWiring.jpg

It looks to me like the drawing is using the enclosure to provide a ground path between the input and output jacks. You might want to try a jumper between the two ground lugs on the jacks. If the bleed-through goes away, you probably don't have one or both jacks well grounded to the enclosure.

I will try this and report back!

timd

Jdansti - You rock because your help fixed the issue and made my day! You're right - the bypass I linked was counting on the case to connect the inputs. Because of the size of the radio circuit I was working with, I bought a plastic case. Last time I checked, plastic doesn't really conduct...Thanks again!

Jdansti

Glad you got it going!  It always helps to have another set of eyes look at something. I'd be lost at work without other people reviewing my work!
  • SUPPORTER
R.G. Keene: EXPECT there to be errors, and defeat them...

petey twofinger

Quote from: kodiakklub on May 15, 2012, 07:10:53 PM
what schematic are you using for the TB?

Quote from: kodiakklub on May 15, 2012, 08:05:00 PM

grounded input true bypass. as simple as it can get.

forgot to switch accounts did we ?

oopsies !

:D
im learning , we'll thats what i keep telling myself