My home-made Beavis Board!

Started by mwynwood, May 16, 2012, 07:53:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mwynwood

Hi everyone,
I just had to share, because I'm pretty excited about it... my home-made Beavis Board!

haha I know it's probably not that exciting... but it represents the next step of my journey along the path of 'DIY Guitar Effects' addiction... mourn for me...

The whole thing cost about $20
Marcus Wynwood
My Build Blog
MarcusGuitar.com

Tony Forestiere

Very tidy work.  8) That should get the creative juices flowing.
"Duct tape is like the Force. It has a light side and a dark side, and it holds the universe together." Carl Zwanzig
"Whoso neglects learning in his youth, loses the past and is dead for the future." Euripides
"Friends don't let friends use Windows." Me

Perrow

Got to build me one of those.

Nice work.
My stompbox wiki -> http://rumbust.net

Keep this site live and ad free, donate a dollar or twenty (and add this link to your sig)

Bill Mountain

That looks sweet.  I really need to make one of these.  My bread board is a rats nest before I even start plugging in components!

gtr2

cool!

Better start planning for an additional breadboard on that.  They fill up fast  ;D

Josh

davent

Like your use of the speaker terminals, great idea!

dave
"If you always do what you always did- you always get what you always got." - Unknown
https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/photobucket-hotlink-fix/kegnjbncdcliihbemealioapbifiaedg

J0K3RX

Very nice! I see somebody is a Radio Shack junkie besides myself :icon_wink:
Doesn't matter what you did to get it... If it sounds good, then it is good!

deadastronaut

sound to light?.... ;)

cool, but i'd need 4-5 of these.... :icon_wink:

i use a 3pdt toggle for true bypass with led...they are really cheap...worth it to hear 'exactly' what your fx will be like...any pop etc... ;)
https://www.youtube.com/user/100roberthenry
https://deadastronaut.wixsite.com/effects

chasm reverb/tremshifter/faze filter/abductor II delay/timestream reverb/dreamtime delay/skinwalker hi gain dist/black triangle OD/ nano drums/space patrol fuzz//

Jdansti

Wow!  You're breadboard is longer than mine! I have breadboard envy!

Seriously- nice job. That will take you a long way. I noticed a couple of things in your photos. First, you might want to install a fuse holder on your black box and use a fuse that's rated less than your PS's maximum current. Wire in inline with the positive side of your power jack. This will protect your PS should you accidentally cause a short on your breadboard.

Also, is that a small incandescent bulb across your power jack or an LED?  If it is an LED, you'll need a resistor in line with it to limit the current.

Good luck and have fun with it!
  • SUPPORTER
R.G. Keene: EXPECT there to be errors, and defeat them...

mwynwood

Quote from: davent on May 17, 2012, 06:34:34 PM
Like your use of the speaker terminals, great idea!
Thanks Dave, I had the idea when browsing the electronics shop...

Quote from: deadastronaut on May 18, 2012, 04:30:04 AM
sound to light?.... ;)
cool, but i'd need 4-5 of these.... :icon_wink:
i use a 3pdt toggle for true bypass with led...they are really cheap...worth it to hear 'exactly' what your fx will be like...any pop etc... ;)
haha yeah "sound to light" well spotted! :) great idea about the 3PDT, I might just do that!

Quote from: Jdansti on May 18, 2012, 05:01:57 AM
Wow!  You're breadboard is longer than mine! I have breadboard envy!

Seriously- nice job. That will take you a long way. I noticed a couple of things in your photos. First, you might want to install a fuse holder on your black box and use a fuse that's rated less than your PS's maximum current. Wire in inline with the positive side of your power jack. This will protect your PS should you accidentally cause a short on your breadboard.

Also, is that a small incandescent bulb across your power jack or an LED?  If it is an LED, you'll need a resistor in line with it to limit the current.

Good luck and have fun with it!
Excellent idea about the fuse! I mostly use a normal Boss power supply - 1.5A or 200mA or something like that. What sort of fuse would I use?
And yeah, that's a little incandescent bulb I had laying around. Works well.
Marcus Wynwood
My Build Blog
MarcusGuitar.com

Jdansti

Re: the fuse, hopefully I haven't recommended something for which I can't give you the right answer!  Here's what I know:  Normally, fuses are used to protect the house wiring (i.e., prevent burning down the house :o); however in this case, we also want to protect the battery or PS from an accidental short circuit on the breadboard. Several things to consider are wire size, maximum load, and the output current rating of the PS.

-Most circuits you are going build draw less than 100mA.

-If you are using the Boss PSA-120S, its output current is rated at 500mA.

-I assume that you are using wire somewhere around 20-24AWG.

Given the above, my opinion is that a 250-400mA fuse would protect the PS and wire (assuming 500mA output rating and 20-24AWG wire) without constantly blowing due to the current draw of your circuits.

Perhaps R.G. or PRR will review my suggetion and give us their expert opinion.
  • SUPPORTER
R.G. Keene: EXPECT there to be errors, and defeat them...

ambulancevoice

someones been to jaycar :D i work for jaycar so i immediately recognised all those parts :D
Open Your Mouth, Heres Your Money