programmable FX Switcher CMOS, reduce audio pop noise.

Started by gecko_blaster, May 22, 2012, 12:15:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gecko_blaster

Hi guys,

Right I've nearly finished the schematic for my programmable FX switcher. I based it around the same functionality as the octa-switch 2. i.e it has 8 programmable banks controlled via dip switches and will control the amp channel. I'm concerned about audio popping being loud though and was hoping to get some advice. To give an idea on the thinking of the schematic, it's basically 9 momentary switches wired into a 16 bit latching chip, each switch changes which latch is active (probably an SN54BT16373A TTL chip). I can now do 2 options with this, either use each latch output to control a DPST relay (for cost it'll probably be a DPDT relay but will just take 1 of the legs back down to ground,  has the be 2 pole as 1 pole for before amp signal and 1 pole for after amp) once relay closes it will engage the audio signals for that effects bank. OR should I use each latch to close the switch on something like a TS12A4415, again similar to the relays but this will be cheaper and faster operation and also contains break-before-make. All effects are wired in parallel. The First 2 banks are wired in parallel to the direct line input (before amp) and the last 6 banks are wired in parallel to the FX loop circuit (after amp).

So, question is.... CMOS TS12A4415 for audio signal switching or DPST relay? Or can anybody recommend a better solution for switching the audio signal, I have seen the FSA2269TS but I'm worried this won't be able to accommodate the guitars signal as it's made for mobile phones etc.?

Once finished I will be posting the schematic and PCB layout with components needed to build this.

Thanks