Axis Face squeal when guitar is off

Started by mnordbye, May 30, 2012, 01:01:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mnordbye

I'm breadboarding a fuzz face variant at the moment, the http://fuzzcentral.ssguitar.com/axisface.php off of Fuzz Central. It sounds wicked actually, the first fuzz face that I like!

One problem though. There's a continuous squeal/high beep sound when I turn the guitars volume control all the way down, and the attack trimpot is at 100%.

Is this a known problem with this type of circuit? If so, are there any circuit blocks etc. which are useful in cutting out this noise? Or is it just the breadboard which makes it noisy?

I tried to search for a solution, but the answers I found greatly varied.

Long time since my last post now, good to be back!

Regards,
Magnus Nordbye
General tone addict
Deaf Audio at Facebook

joegagan

this problem is common with Si ff circs.
try lowering the gain of Q1 with a 500 ohm trimmer between Q1 e and ground.
my life is a tribute to the the great men and women who held this country together when the world was in trouble. my debt cannot be repaid, but i will do my best.

mnordbye

Thanks Joe. I actually couldn't make it squeal when I turned it on to try this time, so the breadboard wiring may be a cause too. But your tip is very helpful, I think it makes the circuit a bit smoother.

Magnus
General tone addict
Deaf Audio at Facebook

kaycee

Most likley won't happen when you box it up. But, you can also try a low value resistor in series before the input cap, 1 - 10k and a 10pf cap to ground, that will cut any radio signals as well.