Simple tremolo pedal

Started by caprotesta, May 29, 2012, 03:50:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

caprotesta

Hi everybody.

This is my first post to the message board, so please bear with me, and I apologize in advance if I do not follow protocol.

I'm a total newbie, and want to build a simple tremolo pedal. I found a tutorial online that looks promising (it's simple, I already have all the components listed, etc.) Here is the link to the project:

http://www.instructables.com/id/Make-Your-Own-Tremolo-Effects-Pedal/

Does this schematic look doable? Are there any glaring mistakes or trouble areas? A 4.7k resistor is listed in the bill of materials, but I only see 470 resistors on the schematic. As far as the 555 timer is concerned, the tutorial lists a 555CN, and I have a 555P. Will either work?

I'm thinking that I'm going to build this on a breadboard prior to doing any PCB etching/soldering/etc. What would be the best way to build/test this? Could I build out the amplifier portion of the circuit first, then verify that it's working, and then build out the timer portion? Or vice versa?

Thank you for any/all help!

smallbearelec

Notice the one response that mentioned "distorted guitar and a ticking sound"? That's exactly what I would expect from this arrangement. The LM386 is meant to drive a small speaker, not a high-impedance guitar amp input. And while the CMOS version of the 555 has been used successfully to generate a modulating waveform, it will cause ticking in your output unless the surrounding circuit design and layout are just right.

If you simply want a demonstration of a tremolo effect, OK, build this. If you want to wind up with a gig-worthy, good-sounding, purpose-designed pedal, pick a better design. Someone here will probably refer you to the EA Trem. That's fairly simple and known to sound good, and I think some sites offer it as a kit.

Regards
SD

midwayfair

Urg, yeah. I remember seeing that thing a while ago. There are better tremolos, including chip-based ones, that are just plain better designs.

The EA Tremolo is probably the best way to go for a beginner tremolo project. It's dead simple, and all the parts are easy and cheap to obtain. You can build one on a breadboard for probably $5-10 depending on where you source parts from. It's been endlessly modded and explored, so there's lots to do with it once you get the basic circuit running.

The Tremulus Lune, despite the large number of knobs and two ICs, is also a pretty simple circuit when all's said and done. It was one of the first pedals I got working.

But if you're breadboarding, I'd go with the EA simply because it's easier to breadboard transistors than ICs.
My band, Midway Fair: www.midwayfair.org. Myself's music and things I make: www.jonpattonmusic.com. DIY pedal demos: www.youtube.com/jonspatton. PCBs of my Bearhug Compressor and Cardinal Harmonic Tremolo are available from http://www.1776effects.com!

caprotesta

Thanks for the advice! I'll give the EA Tremolo a whirl...

Joe