Noob's question on Fuzz Face problem

Started by Chilly, June 04, 2012, 10:00:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chilly

Hi all, apologies if my problem sounds a little noobish, but just finished building a Synthrotek Fuzz Face clone which is only my second DIY pedal after a GGG Bluesbreaker last year, and I am having a problem with it.

Basically, in bypassed mode (pedal switched off) I am getting a clean signal to the amp fine. However, when I switch the pedal on, the LED comes on but there is no sound. If I crank the level pot all the way up I just about get some sound but it's very faint and not at all fuzzy!

I have attached a couple of pics - I built it out of a case because I wanted to check it worked before I went to the trouble of mounting it all up. Also, you may spot a couple of slightly messy solders on there, but they seems to have made contact fine so I presume they're not the problem.

Any help from you bunch of seasoned pros would be much appreciated.

Thanks!

Govmnt_Lacky

1) Go to this link and follow the directions closely: http://www.diystompboxes.com/smfforum/index.php?topic=29816.0

2) Repost here with the results.

3) Fix your build  ;D

Simple.... Easy....  ;)
A Veteran is someone who, at one point in his or her life, wrote a blank check made payable to The United States of America
for an amount of 'up to and including my life.'

JRB

Not to insult you but looking at the pictures I would look at the solder joints first looks as if the R and S joint on right aren't connected same goes for pin 1 of the level.

Chilly

Quote from: JRB on June 04, 2012, 10:29:05 AM
Not to insult you but looking at the pictures I would look at the solder joints first looks as if the R and S joint on right aren't connected same goes for pin 1 of the level.

No offence taken! Resoldered those ones you pointed out and now ready to do the de-bug as suggested.

Quick question, how much of the board do I need to check the voltages across? Should I post literally every connection?

Attached is as decent a pic of the board as I could find...

Thanks!

R.G.

Read "Debugging; what to do when it doesn't work"

Generally, active device pins and power supply voltages are enough to tell. More may be necessary to actually pinpoint the trouble after that.
R.G.

In response to the questions in the forum - PCB Layout for Musical Effects is available from The Book Patch. Search "PCB Layout" and it ought to appear.

Jdansti

Here's a great video on soldering. Follow the instructions and you'll be a master solderer.  :)

• SUPPORTER
R.G. Keene: EXPECT there to be errors, and defeat them...