Some neovibe tone questions.

Started by nonameputs, June 07, 2012, 08:06:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

nonameputs

I just finished my neovibe and everything seems to be working, but I am having some possible issues.  I say possible because I'm not sure if they are issues or the circuit doing what it's designed to do.

First of all, there seems to be a pretty intense cut in bass response when the effect is on.  It still has a pretty deep throb, but overall it sounds a little thin.  What can I do about this, or is that how it's supposed to sound?

Secondly, when I turn down the speed knob the lamp never gets to full brightness.  With the light shield off, if I turn the depth all the way down I can adjust the brightness of the lamp with the speed pot.  Again, not sure if it's supposed to do this but it is annoying to have to turn up the depth when at slower rates.  Any ideas?

Jaicen_solo

A big low frequency cut is not normal as far as I know, check your caps in the signal path. Have you modded the input section for higher impedance?

A quirk of the Univibe LFO is that the amplitude increases with speed, as R.G. suggests, it's possibly an attempt to compensate for the bulbs decreasing sensitivity at higher LFO speeds. Your bulb will have less difference from light to dark at lower speeds.
In a nutshell, that's normal, they all do that. I've been thinking that I'd like to work out a way to cap the max brightness independant of frequency, but I don't have any real ideas how to do that yet.

Sounds to me like you've encountered an effect from a long time ago that does things differently to how modern players expect.

nonameputs

Yeah, I did some research and found that the speed knob is supposed to do that.  And after playing the thing a little more last night I don't think there is much of a bass cut as there is a slight volume cut and a treble boost.  Most people seem to think the univibe has a rather dark sound, but mine is quite a bit brighter than the bypassed sound.  Maybe that's something that was designed into the circuit for the neovibe...  Anyway, I'm going to tinker around with upping the output a bit and see if that helps.

nonameputs

Figured i should put some pics up...

lonewolf

I see you used true bypass... I own a real univibe and wired my clone to short the bulb...sounds better to me that way and no volume drop issues...

nonameputs

Quote from: lonewolf on June 09, 2012, 10:11:08 AM
I see you used true bypass... I own a real univibe and wired my clone to short the bulb...sounds better to me that way and no volume drop issues...

I have been thinking about trying that and seeing how I like it.  I love the way it sounds when I run this thing into my big muff on a low gain... super sexy.