Aria OD10 jrc4558d mod it or use it for the cb mic ?

Started by petey twofinger, June 10, 2012, 02:40:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

petey twofinger

i dug out this old (1983 ? ) aria od10 and popped the back off , the chip is a 4558D jrc , i am hnot sure but i did read another version of this device had a 4559 chip in it , but i could be mistaken .

i am not really that thrilled with the pedal , any one have any suggestions ?

coud swapping the chip help much ?

i doubt it ?

mods ?

hmmm , prolly better off using it for the cb mic .
im learning , we'll thats what i keep telling myself

Mark Hammer

Leave it as is.  It is hard to imagine the company had a reason to use any other obscure chip.

petey twofinger

i figured as much , i was kinda hoping someone would have figured out ANYTHING better than the stock sound for this circuit . thanks !
im learning , we'll thats what i keep telling myself

Mark Hammer

There are limits to modding.  Sometimes, it takes little to radically change or repurpose a pedal.  Sometimes the changes are simply making what it already does a little better tuned.  I think this falls into the latter category.

roseblood11

First mod: Replace the 4558 with a current production IC of the same type. It won't change anything, but you can sell the old IC to idiots who want a real superduper mojo vintage Tube Screamer IC.  ;D

Changing the filtering of the pedal will have much more influence on the sound, but you have to find/draw a schematic first.
Or play around with the clipping diodes...

But first, check if this is a collectors item! Maybe it's better to sell the pedal and build s.th. similar from scratch. I suppose, that it's a variation of the OD-1 / Tube Screamer anyway.