What Kind of Pot/ stompswitch

Started by The Rocket From The Tombs, June 10, 2012, 11:55:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Rocket From The Tombs

I'm building a Gcb 95 wah wah, can someone tell me the names of the pot and switch I'd need for it? I saw a few different ones on mammoth, so I'm not really sure which ones to buy. Thanks!

Mike Burgundy

Any DPDT or 3PDT footswitch will do. Pots are different - you'll want a specific one, including the gear. See https://www.smallbearelec.com/home.html

I'm going to do true bypass but, I probably won't be adding an LED light, will I still need a 3PDT switch or can I use a DPDT?

Tony Forestiere

Without an LED indicator, A DPDT will be fine.
"Duct tape is like the Force. It has a light side and a dark side, and it holds the universe together." Carl Zwanzig
"Whoso neglects learning in his youth, loses the past and is dead for the future." Euripides
"Friends don't let friends use Windows." Me

joegagan

i didn't see any wah pots at the mammoth site. i wouldn't recommend using any of the pots that aren't heavy duty for wah. i have arteffect icar type, dunlop hotpotz1 and hotpotz2 available if you would like.
my life is a tribute to the the great men and women who held this country together when the world was in trouble. my debt cannot be repaid, but i will do my best.

Thanks but, I don't have a paypal account to pay you. Would this one work: http://www.opentip.com/Musical-Instruments/Potentiometer-Wah-Pot-p-1621204.html     Also does the pot effect tone at all?

joegagan

yes, different pots will effect tone and feel. some have a rapid ramp( hotpotz), some people like it because they can get that rapid quack. others prefer ICAR taper, early vox wahs had this taper. a more gradual ramp that some players prefer to use the expression range more accurately. some icar repros are approx 180k, which tends to make the voicing a tiny bit lower.

the dunlop Hendrix wah at some points used a 470k, which moved the voicing slightly lower again. these were avaialble in hoitpotz 2 configuration, which is a very durable wah pot.

best all around pot for tone and durablity IMO is the dunlop hotpotz2 in normal 100k. these are getting pricey, 20 or more on ebay.

the pot you linked to is a very good price, looks similar to the CTS or CTs knockoff propot and other chinese wah pots. if you regularly clean the trace with contact cleaner, it may last OK. i have found these style pots generally get scratchy pretty fast, but some people report good results with regular cleaning.

my life is a tribute to the the great men and women who held this country together when the world was in trouble. my debt cannot be repaid, but i will do my best.

joegagan

one more thing about the pot you linked. it is sold by ce distribution, but their website does not list what the taper is, some of these types of sellers sell linear pots as wah pots. linear does not work well in a wah. try to find out before you buy.

Hey, thanks for all this help man, I think I'm gonna go with either the Dunlop Hot potz II or the ICAR Taper. Also, regarding the footswitch would I want a Momentary or Latching DPDT switch?

joegagan