Technical Question about wiring a true bypass looper switch

Started by texwest, June 16, 2012, 12:49:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

texwest

I'm new to the board and have just started building pedals.  Here's an interesting question.  

I have seen two ways to wire the switch on a true bypass looper. One of them grounds the hot of the send jack when the bypassing the loop and the other one doesn't.

This pic shows two methods of wiring the switch

http://www.singlecoil.com/tb-strip/images/single_loop.gif

The first example shows the hot of the send jack going to ground, when the signal is bypassing straight thru the switch.

The second example does not ground the hot of the Send wire but leaves it connecting to nothing.

I have an anologman true bypass looper that is wired like the first example. And he seems to know what he is doing, so I'm wondering if it is important to wire it this way. Does it avoid things like hum or ground loops, etc.

Here's another pic of the hot of the send wire going to ground.

http://www.singlecoil.com/tb-strip/images/dia1.gif

R.G.

Quote from: texwest on June 16, 2012, 12:49:39 PM
I have an anologman true bypass looper that is wired like the first example. And he seems to know what he is doing, so I'm wondering if it is important to wire it this way. Does it avoid things like hum or ground loops, etc.
Grounding the send when bypassed fixes a problem that some pedals have, others don't. Some pedals make noise or oscillate when their inputs are open, and some of those make enough noise on their outputs, power, and/or ground lines to couple that noise into other pedals.

It has little or no effect on hum (unless the hum comes from open-input pickup) and no effect on ground loops at all.
R.G.

In response to the questions in the forum - PCB Layout for Musical Effects is available from The Book Patch. Search "PCB Layout" and it ought to appear.

texwest

OK it seems like I should ground that input.   Is there a  reason not too?

R.G.

Quote from: texwest on June 17, 2012, 04:04:38 PM
OK it seems like I should ground that input.   Is there a  reason not too?
No reason not to for the bypass switch and pedal's sake. There may be other things outside the switch and pedal that need alternate wirings, but that's another story. True bypass is true bypass, for better or worse.
R.G.

In response to the questions in the forum - PCB Layout for Musical Effects is available from The Book Patch. Search "PCB Layout" and it ought to appear.