Wooly Mammoth sounds like mangy platypus

Started by Colonel Angus, June 15, 2012, 04:31:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Colonel Angus

What gives? I built a Furry Sabertooth... actually two - one from Bean's schemo and one from this layout :

Thing friggin sounds like shyte! The pinch is really really pinched , there is no sustain whatsoever and it just sounds like a farty blown out speaker.

Now don't get me wrong, I listened to lots of sound clips and know that this thing sounds like poop on purpose. But this isn't right. The pinch control is glitchy, when you turn the knob the gating goes all over the place but always has a sustain free "thunk". The fuzz control is all whack too, going from no fuzz at all 0% to slight ( I mean slight) at 50% through 75% then at 98% percent it goes to like a transistor melting fuzz that is 3 times louder than the other positions.

Such a simple design, I thought it would be a breeze and make the bass man in my band very happy (Loves his ROG ginger, but needs moar fuzzs). No dice.

The only deviation I have employed is using a revlog "c" pot for the pinch (still 500k) and a 10k "B" for the fuzz with a 6.8k resistor paralleled. I've tried a couple 2n3904s and a couple 2n5088s, same problems.

Could it be the C pot ? I plan to fiddle with, but was hoping that someone else may have successfully tamed this issue.

Sorry, I'm needy today
Quote from: frequencycentral on June 16, 2012, 12:59:15 PM
Why should you not have 90o angles? Do the electrons bunch up in the corners?

Mark Hammer

I built one and I kinda like it.  The "pinch" control changes the character of the fuzz on mine, but it never really gates.  It can get a little bit blitchy, but no more than that.  I didn't tweak a single thing, either.

iccaros

mangy platypus would be a great pedal name