BC109 Question

Started by Ofek Deitch, June 20, 2012, 11:27:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ofek Deitch

Hi :)
Is it okay to solder BC109s straight onto the breadboard?

Thanks!
Ofek ;D

Govmnt_Lacky

Personally... I wouldn't solder ANYTHING to a breadboard!  :icon_eek:

Kinda defeats the purpose doesn't it?  ::)
A Veteran is someone who, at one point in his or her life, wrote a blank check made payable to The United States of America
for an amount of 'up to and including my life.'

Ofek Deitch

Ohh not a breadboard.. a perfboard.. :)

digi2t

As with soldering any transistor to a board, use a heatsink clip, and be careful on how much heat you apply.
  • SUPPORTER
Dead End FX
http://www.deadendfx.com/

Asian Icemen rise again...
http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=903467

"My ears don't distinguish good from great.  It's a blessing, really." EBK

nocentelli

If you're worried about damaging them with heat, they seem pretty resilient. I've built dozens of circuits with them (they're my favourite for fuzz), and on several occasions I have needed to desolder and been pretty heavy-handed with the heat to point at which the metal cap was roasting hot, and they always seem to work afterwards.

Obviously, don't be cavalier but I wouldn't worry too much. There are good reasons to use sockets, but if I'm certain I'm putting it in the right place, and am equally certain I won't want to swap them out, I never use sockets.
Quote from: kayceesqueeze on the back and never open it up again

Ofek Deitch

Thanks!

By the way - I'm building a Fuzz Face right now, and it's my favorite fuzz transistor too.. ;D

Mark Hammer

Traditionally, one would be recommended to use a heat sink that looked much like an alligator clip.  Attach the clip to the lead you are soldering, or across all 3, and solder away.  The clip would help to dissipate the heat before it travels all the way up to whatever is encapsulated in the epoxy.

CynicalMan

I do what Mark suggested, but instead of an alligator clip I use a hemostat as a heatsink:

Hemostats are small surgical forceps that are used to clamp blood vessels. They lock together, so you just clamp them on the transistor pins (on the component side of the board), then solder. They're also great for grabbing and manipulating small components or wires. Hobby or surplus stores often sell them.

electrosonic

A small pair of pliers with and elastic around the handles can serve the same purpose.

Andrew.
  • SUPPORTER

gritz

Quote from: CynicalMan on June 20, 2012, 02:50:40 PM
I do what Mark suggested, but instead of an alligator clip I use a hemostat as a heatsink:

Hemostats are small surgical forceps that are used to clamp blood vessels. They lock together, so you just clamp them on the transistor pins (on the component side of the board), then solder. They're also great for grabbing and manipulating small components or wires. Hobby or surplus stores often sell them.

Good idea. And just the thing to make unwanted guests feel nervous.  ;D