Fuzz Face help!!!

Started by soupbone, June 25, 2012, 11:52:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

soupbone

I'm trying to build a friend of mine an original Dallas-Arbiter Fuzz Face(as close to original as possible) with AC128 trannies.I took his Dunlop Re-issue and took everything out,and building it wiring everything point-to-point on a radio shack perfboard.I used Dragonfly's layout for the build;http://www.aronnelson.com/gallery/main.php/v/DRAGONFLY-LAYOUTS_0/album18/album151/DALLAS_ARBITER_FUZZ_FACE_GERMANIUM_PERF.gif.html  The problem I'm having is the wiring.I added a d.c. jack and I'm using a spdt switch like the original.Does anybody have any diagrams of how this should be wired?I'm having a hard time with this simple circuit!  :D Any help would be greatly appreciated!

hooya

soupbone

Quote from: hooya on June 26, 2012, 12:12:03 AM
Will this help:

http://www.tonepad.com/project.asp?id=35

?

Basic offboard wiring diagrams.
I've seen this one.The only problem is they don't show a wiring diagram for a spdt.I know the single lug on the spdt switch is the "effected input"(I think),and the other 2 are?I don't know :-[

Colonel Angus

What is the SPDT for ?

I use this diagram for wiring, it has pretty pictures for to help my low iq  :)
Quote from: frequencycentral on June 16, 2012, 12:59:15 PM
Why should you not have 90o angles? Do the electrons bunch up in the corners?

markeebee

Colonel Angus

Big talk from a man holding the tone sucking master - big muff pi  ;D ;D ;D

soupbone

hooya

Quote from: soupbone on June 26, 2012, 06:02:52 PM
Quote from: markeebee on June 26, 2012, 05:03:42 PM
From Geofex:

Ok cool!So,The 2 other lugs are out's.Thanks!

Input goes to the in of the circuit and to one outer lug of the jack.
Center lug of jack goes to output
Other outer lug goes to the Out of the FX board.

And yeah, it will suck tone because it's always sending the signal to a loading circuit, even in bypass. So the bypass signal is pretty crappy.

Colonel Angus

Oh, the switch is for bypass... :icon_eek: You probably should reconsider that. There is no real benefit to wiring the circuit this way, and you will lose tone and signal. Consider wiring your fuzz face for true bypass, so when the effect is disengaged it is completely removed from the signal chain.

soupbone

Quote from: Colonel Angus on June 27, 2012, 08:36:34 AM
Oh, the switch is for bypass... :icon_eek: You probably should reconsider that. There is no real benefit to wiring the circuit this way, and you will lose tone and signal. Consider wiring your fuzz face for true bypass, so when the effect is disengaged it is completely removed from the signal chain.
Yep,I'm going too.I was going to wire it like the original way with the spdt switch,but i though about and decided to go ahead and wire with a dpdt switch instead.Don't need the tone suckage :icon_biggrin:

Colonel Angus