Use that real estate!!

Started by Mark Hammer, June 26, 2012, 07:16:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mark Hammer

I picked up an older Morley Wah/Volume for five bucks last week.  The wah is not as soulful as the one I made with a wonderful old inductor, but the shutter-and-photocell system is intriguing, and easily tweakable.  The unit has a wah and volume pedal function, selectable via a stompswitch.  It also has WADS of empty space.

So, I did the only thing I could do: I drilled some holes and made use of it.  I removed the hole plug at the front of the pedal (which, I gather was used to select other function, using the same basic chassis in other models), and put a hole on either side of it.  I had a perfed Muff Fuzz clone sitting around (the thing wrapped in masking tape), so I wired up the Gain and Volume pots for the Muff, and installed them on each side of the stompswitch.  I now have a fuzz/wah/volume pedal.....and there's still plenty of space left. (Note: these use a pair of 9V batteries in series, so I'm running the Muff Fuzz on 18V and it sounds alright).  It's hardwired such that its fuzz into wah; not what blues fanatics do (preferring wah into distortion), but when fuzz-wahs were the terrain of mind-expansion, fuzz-into-wah was de rigeur.

Hit the stompswitch at the side, and you flip from whatever you had on (wah or fuzz+wah) to simple volume pot.  I'm going to have to tweak the height of the fuzz stompswitch a wee bit. But the treadle works fine without accidentally resulting in fuzz engagement.

Gievn that drilling the holes was easier than I thought it would be, I may well stick something else i there, like a wah resonance and/or range switch.

If you have space, kids, fill it up with something useful!!

digi2t

Me likey long time!!  :icon_mrgreen:

Could we get an alter-ego video? "Smart Pedal Tricks, starring Mauve Marky Hammer"

:icon_lol:

Dino
  • SUPPORTER
Dead End FX
http://www.deadendfx.com/

Asian Icemen rise again...
http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=903467

"My ears don't distinguish good from great.  It's a blessing, really." EBK