Wondering how to quiet stuff down on the breadboard

Started by Earthscum, June 27, 2012, 11:22:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Earthscum

A recent thread reminded me to ask about this. Basically, I'm getting spikes through my power rails from a CD4013. I've done ungodly amounts of caps all over the place to no avail. It shows up at the rails. I have tried dropping small caps, large tankers, everything.

Normally, I don't think about it much because I know once it's on a board, I've laid it out to minimize all this. However, breadboard is totally different, and I've run across several issues from low-gain circuits that spontaneously oscillate to who knows how many other issues.

What are some techniques for getting a clean layout on a board? Especially with CMOS... I've read quite a few docs on this (not on breadboard, but in "design for audio" aspect) and still have yet to find something amid the pages of explanations of why it happens about how to actually alleviate it (although they do seem to give clues if you can understand enough of what you're reading).

One question in particular (besides just general tips or whatnot) is how to run the power wiring. I have THIS BOARD. I run  positive and negative wire from the lugs to the leftmost rails, and jump the rest across the power supply end. The negative leads all spider into the "common rail". I've tried parallel and serial positive leads with no particular results that I could make out. Is there a better, or "proper", way to run these? Is this a chunk of my problem, perhaps, or just the entire nature of the breadboard?
Give a man Fuzz, and he'll jam for a day... teach a man how to make a Fuzz and he'll never jam again!

http://www.facebook.com/Earthscum

ORK

You tied the metallic backsheet of the board to ground?

Perrow

Quote from: Earthscum on June 27, 2012, 11:22:23 PM
A recent thread reminded me to ask about this. Basically, I'm getting spikes through my power rails from a CD4013. I've done ungodly amounts of caps all over the place to no avail. It shows up at the rails. I have tried dropping small caps, large tankers, everything.

Tried placing a smallish resistor between the Vcc and the offending component + caps?
My stompbox wiki -> http://rumbust.net

Keep this site live and ad free, donate a dollar or twenty (and add this link to your sig)

darron

Quote from: ORK on June 28, 2012, 03:06:35 AM
You tied the metallic backsheet of the board to ground?

+1. might seem obvious but if you miss it makes a MASSIVE difference...
Blood, Sweat & Flux. Pedals made with lasers and real wires!

Earthscum

Quote from: darron on June 28, 2012, 08:56:21 AM
Quote from: ORK on June 28, 2012, 03:06:35 AM
You tied the metallic backsheet of the board to ground

+1. might seem obvious but if you miss it makes a MASSIVE difference...
damn. It didn't even cross my mind. I'll scrape paint and pull the isolation bushings off the bananna jack and give it a shot. I will probably be posting a facepalm of some sort as well. Thanks guys.
Give a man Fuzz, and he'll jam for a day... teach a man how to make a Fuzz and he'll never jam again!

http://www.facebook.com/Earthscum