Ultra Flanger minus LFO?

Started by Puguglybonehead, June 28, 2012, 06:12:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Puguglybonehead

Seeing as the Ultra Flanger is a recurring topic here, I thought I'd ask about this. I would like to build the Ultra flanger, minus the LFO, so that the "manual" pot could be used for a treadle. (mounted in a cheap wah enclosure) I'm not sure how to proceed though.

I've looked at the schematic: http://www.hollis.co.uk/john/ultraflanger3.jpg

But now, I'm not sure, how much of the circuitry attached to the LFO to remove. I was going to try to remove everything from the "sweep" pot, all the way over to the zener diode. Would I need to use a different value of pot for the "manual" to use it with a treadle?

pinkjimiphoton

you'd probably like it better just putting the speed pot in a treadle...without the lfo, all you'll get is a static double that won't really flange. for flanging to work, you need to un-synch two identical signals. moving the delay time by a couple ms with a treadle won't do anything, because the delay is so short moving your foot it will always be caught up, or very nearly so.

but...if you just make it control the lfo speed, you can go from virtually no sweep to full speed, from thick slow flange to bubbling ponds of neptune.

jmo. peace
  • SUPPORTER
"When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace."
Slava Ukraini!
"try whacking the bejesus outta it and see if it works again"....
~Jack Darr

slacker

Remove the sweep pot and everything to the left of it. Connect the left hand side of the 100k that was connected to the sweep pot to +9 volts. The manual pot will now control the delay time, you might need to play with the 100k and 39k resistor values to get the range of delay times where you want them.

What I would do instead though is build the whole thing, with the manual or sweep pot connected to your Wah treadle and then add a switch that shorts out the 100n cap in the LFO, that will stop the LFO and the manual or sweep pot will then control the delay time. That gives you your "filter matrix" effects plus you've still got a flanger.

Puguglybonehead

Thanks for the replies! OK, that is the section I'd thought to leave out. People have been complaining about the LFO in this pedal 'ticking' and such anyways. I always wanted a foot-controlled sweep, (for both a flanger and a phaser) but pedals that offer it are rare and expensive for some reason. I dunno. I really only like an LFO for tremolo or maybe vibrato. I find an LFO rarely sweeps in a way that's musically useful to me. Hopefully this will work. Beats paying $550 for a Tychobrae PedalFlanger re-issue.

oldschoolanalog

Quote from: Puguglybonehead on June 29, 2012, 04:54:54 PMI find an LFO rarely sweeps in a way that's musically useful to me.
Ever try an A/DA flanger?
Mystery lounge. No tables, chairs or waiters here. In fact, we're all quite alone.

Puguglybonehead

If I can get through building this successfully, then I might attempt an A/DA clone some time. They do some sounds that make an Electric Mistress sound 'tame'. Earlier on the list would be trying to add a TZF board to this. I like the TZF sound. (like Foxrox samples I've heard) Not so crazy about the metallic nails-on-chalkboard sounds that seem to come out of so many analog flangers, though. Just not my thing.

Mark Hammer