Ibanez TS808 True By Pass mod info ...

Started by HOTTUBES, June 30, 2012, 12:14:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

HOTTUBES

Does anyone have a good link to the wiring layout for the TrueByPass of a 808 Overdrive Pro using a 3PDT .

Thanks for any help !!

HOTTUBES

HOTTUBES

HOTTUBES

I'm thinking this link would work , the switching should be the same in the TS9 as the 808 !!!

http://www.premierguitar.com/archive/monthly/pedal_power/0704.htm

R.G.

A really good question is why you'd want to permanently modify (some would say "disfigure") a working example of that pedal, which is desirable.

Why not either (a) make one of the zillions of clones or (b) make an external true bypass box?

Or, go read: http://geofex.com/Article_Folders/bosstech.pdf which shows you how to insert a small DPDT relay inside the pedal and work with the existing enclosure and footswitch so you don't have to maim the box?
R.G.

In response to the questions in the forum - PCB Layout for Musical Effects is available from The Book Patch. Search "PCB Layout" and it ought to appear.

HOTTUBES

Well .... its a reissue unit from 2005 , according to the serial # , to my knowledge these are not all that desirable or rare .

The Ibanez stomp switch in these ones un-threads leaving a perfect hole to install the 3PDT , so no drilling required !

I have kept all the old parts in a small bag just in case i ever want to put it back to " Stock"

I see your point though , if it was a vintage unit , then i would leave it alone ....

R.G.

And in any case, it's yours (presumably...  :icon_biggrin:) so you have the perfect right to do whatever you like with it, including totally destroying it.

It's just that we get a long of people with BUMS - Blind Urge to Mod Syndrome, so the first thing to do is to stop and think.

The article I posted the link to also includes how to force the internal flipflop/jfet stuff to be always on and let something external do the switching.
R.G.

In response to the questions in the forum - PCB Layout for Musical Effects is available from The Book Patch. Search "PCB Layout" and it ought to appear.

HOTTUBES

May i ask why you feel that doing a True bypass to this pedal is " Totally destroying it "
I have seen this mod done to many pedals , and to many players this is MUST etc .

I do not have your BUMS condition , as you so put it ... If i'm going into a pedal , there is
a reason , and its generally a flaw from mass production or the super high end components
that Boss & Ibanez use have failed or are just giving poor performance in general .

Thanks for the link by the way !!!

R.G.

Quote from: HOTTUBES on July 02, 2012, 10:53:01 PM
May i ask why you feel that doing a True bypass to this pedal is " Totally destroying it "
Yes, you may.

And, your having done so, I'd answer "That's not what I said." I said that the pedal is yours, you have total control over what gets done to it: paint it purple, have it bronzed, hit it with a sledge hammer or put it in a museum. It's entirely up to you. Your choice.

As a bit of background I actually have (rarely!) totally destroyed pedals which offended me in some way. Sometimes it's cathartic. Just me, the pedal, and a hammer.  :icon_biggrin:  See "Widlarizing". Smart guy, that. I miss him.

QuoteI have seen this mod done to many pedals , and to many players this is MUST etc .
Yes, I've seen that done to many pedals, too. And I've heard many players say that true bypass is a must. I have additional opinions about bypassing in general, and some technical reasons behind the opinions that lead me to think that true bypass is neither a must nor a cure for whatever the problem is or was. but that's just me.

QuoteI do not have your BUMS condition , as you so put it ...
OK.

Again, read what I wrote. I didn't say you had it - only that we get a lot of people who do, and so I was counseling thinking about the situation.

R.G.