Small Bear 5mm LED bezel

Started by sonicnuance, July 01, 2012, 01:38:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sonicnuance

I have tried but cannot get the LED and plastic "stopper" to fit in the Bezel.  Are the components supposed to lock tight?  I feel like the top of the LED is just too wide to push to the top of the Bezel and make room for the stopper.

What am I doing wrong?

Thanks

newperson

The little plastic holders are supposed to be tight.  Usually they will snap shut, but the drilled hole really decides the fit.  It is too small the plastic holder will bend and go into it, but it will not allow enough room for the diode to fit. 

Also I am guessing you bought the correct size diode for the holder size. 

You might point to the product you bought so people can have a visual of what is going on.  They make a few different type of holders.

sonicnuance

Quote from: newperson on July 01, 2012, 05:31:16 AM
The little plastic holders are supposed to be tight.  Usually they will snap shut, but the drilled hole really decides the fit.  It is too small the plastic holder will bend and go into it, but it will not allow enough room for the diode to fit. 

Also I am guessing you bought the correct size diode for the holder size. 

You might point to the product you bought so people can have a visual of what is going on.  They make a few different type of holders.

Thanks newsperson - good points

Here is the part I am using with a standard 5mm LED:

http://www.smallbearelec.com/servlet/Detail?no=94

mremic01

Quote from: sonicnuance on July 01, 2012, 01:38:55 AM
I have tried but cannot get the LED and plastic "stopper" to fit in the Bezel.  Are the components supposed to lock tight?  I feel like the top of the LED is just too wide to push to the top of the Bezel and make room for the stopper.

What am I doing wrong?

Thanks

It sounds like you've got the kind with the whitish/clear plastic thing that the LED sits on, and then you push it into the bezel. Does that sound right? These are the ones I use: http://www.taydaelectronics.com/5mm-bezel-led-holder-chrome-metal.html

When I first tried using those, I was trying to put the plastic stopper piece in backwards. The LED's leads go through the holes in the stopper, but from the open side, not the flat side. Think of it as sticking the LES on top of a cup. Then the stopper can slide into the bezel and get a snug fit. It might also be that you've got a 3mm bezel if the LED can't fit in it. There should be plenty of room for the LED, and the stopper is what keeps it in there.
Nyt brenhin gwir, gwr y mae reit idaw dywedut 'y brenhin wyf i'.

nosamiam

I've never gotten an LED to go all the way in one of those bezels. When I first used them, I expected the top of the lens to be near the top of the bezel. I don't think it is meant to. It is supposed to be recessed quite a bit.

And the stopper sometimes goes only a little more than halfway in. It should stay put though.

I've found that LEDs from some manufacturers fit a little better than others though.