how do i increase collector voltage?

Started by plexi12000, August 27, 2015, 08:39:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

plexi12000

hi dudes..... decided to tinker w/ a fuzz i made and didn't like.  one of the collectors is at 3v.  i'd like to get it up between 4 and 5v.

I need to "double check" my thinking before i tear into it!  -lol

if i want more voltage reaching the Q collector.....then i need less of a voltage drop across the collector R?

Therefore, i would decrease the value of the coll. resistor?  Is that correct?   Thank you!

R.G.

You can:
1. leave the collector current the same but decrease the value of the collector resistor
or
2. leave the collector resistor the same but decrease the current through the collector by changing the conditions on the base, or emitter, or both.
R.G.

In response to the questions in the forum - PCB Layout for Musical Effects is available from The Book Patch. Search "PCB Layout" and it ought to appear.

plexi12000

thanks RG!  that's interesting..... so, in other words, i could instead change the emitter or base resistors?

if you wouldn't mind me asking.....(because i know you're an electronics master! -lol).....what would you do? or don't it really matter?

LightSoundGeometry

I Have learned to use a variable resistor on the collector. for example, the rangemaster has a 10K going to 9+ from collector ,  so I use a 10K trimmer pot to adjust voltage in place of the 10K fixed resistor . i was able to go from like 7.8 volts to 3-4 volts ..it will go lower but craps out the circuit.

R.G.

It depends on the whole rest of the circuit what would work best.

For instance, if the transistor is separated from other stuff by capacitors before the base and after the collector, you can muck with it separately. If it's directly (i.e. no capacitors breaking the DC path) coupled to other transistors, what you do to this transistor may/can affect the others' operating point, or their operation may make it hard to change the action on this one.

The devil is in the details.
R.G.

In response to the questions in the forum - PCB Layout for Musical Effects is available from The Book Patch. Search "PCB Layout" and it ought to appear.