Silk Screening...what kind of paint?

Started by Canucker, July 13, 2012, 01:29:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Canucker

Ok so I searched for silk screening threads and read 6 of them before I just decided to start yet another one. What kind of paint do people use for this? I've been screen printing since grade eleven (21 years) but have only ever done paper or textile (band shirts by the ton)...never did any work with metal....I did some wishful thinking and even screened some circuit boards before etching them...would have worked amazingly had the paint held in the bath longer then the first two minutes.....So what kind of paints are best to do metal enclosures?

runmikeyrun

I used Nazdar 3000 (i think) years ago for enclosures.  It worked awesome, but technically needs a UV dryer to cure the ink.  The only thing that really worked was a few 8 hour days outside in bright sunlight.  I tried fluorescent and black lights to no avail.  It also was solvent clean up only, which sucks.  I think it was $30 for a quart too :(

The other, way easier and cheaper option was standard speedball poster ink from the art store, and then a couple of coats of clear coat.  Water clean up too. 

I'm sure if you call an art supply store you can find something that will work.
Bassist for Foul Spirits
Head tinkerer at Torch Effects
Instagram: @torcheffects

Dislikes: old women

Canucker

Thanks for the awesome answer....stupid uv driers! I've been using the speedball stuff or equivalent all these years so really I'm just an awesome armature as opposed to an average professional  ;D

newperson

try enamel.  you might have to thin it or thicken (let it dry a bit) depending on your screen number.  also try 300+ screens.  i have had good luck with this method.  this will also be much cheaper than the nazdar.  make sure to have all the cleaners ready to clean your screen. 

Earthscum

I use Nazdar 7000 series lacquer, but would recommend Enamel. So far, though, the lacquer has been standing up very well, even on raw aluminum.

Gotta add... Enamel cleaners and materials are nasty as hell. Lacquer only requires lacquer thinner to clean stuff, and before it's cured (and sometime afterwards) it is quite susceptible to strong Alcohol, i.e. you can wipe a fresh screw-up off with alcohol instead of lacquer thinner. It's easy to maintain, and you can just use Retarder to thin it (highly recommended for ANY ink!).

I haven't checked into any of Nazdar's enviro inks yet, but reports sound promising. Midwest Sign was really pumping on the stuff a while back (now they're pushing the "direct-to-garment" printers... <drool>)
Give a man Fuzz, and he'll jam for a day... teach a man how to make a Fuzz and he'll never jam again!

http://www.facebook.com/Earthscum

notneb

Want to do some screening myself.  Nazdar seems to be the go-to but I don't want to spend $40 bucks for a quart of something to experiment with. :o What about the enamel?  Is there an ink i can get our do i need to use paint and thicken it up?  If so,  what does one use to thicken with? And is there something to clean the screen with that won't take the emulsion off? 
Life's too short to deal with crappy tone.