Carbon Composition Resistors

Started by hazefuzz, July 17, 2012, 09:11:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hazefuzz

Someone know where I can buy them?

Thanks

I'm french, sorry for mistakes

Brossman

Try goodwill/craiglist, but thats a far stretch.

Ebay is always good for electronics odds and ends.

Estate sales, especially of old ham radio folks, hobbyists, or radio/tv repairfolk, might be a potential goldmine.

Best of luck!
Gear: Epi Les Paul (archtop) w/ 490R in the neck, and SD '59N in the bridge; Silvertone 1484 w/ a WGS G15C

Still a tubey noobie. Been doing this a while, and still can't figure much out, smh.

R.G.

An interesting question is why you want them.
R.G.

In response to the questions in the forum - PCB Layout for Musical Effects is available from The Book Patch. Search "PCB Layout" and it ought to appear.

davent

"If you always do what you always did- you always get what you always got." - Unknown
https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/photobucket-hotlink-fix/kegnjbncdcliihbemealioapbifiaedg

reverberation66

"an interesting question is why you want them"...what kind of stupid response is that?  that wasn't the question, the question was where to find them...

hazefuzz

Quote from: R.G. on July 17, 2012, 10:01:14 PM
An interesting question is why you want them.
I try to buld an vintage specs big muff so I try to be as true as the original ( but with some mod of course :icon_wink: )

Quote from: davent on July 17, 2012, 10:08:35 PM
You can find the magic mojo at, Mouser, Digikey, Just Radios...
So if I understand you not a big fan of carbon comp :D
but seriously 95% of projects I made are with metal film
but like I said, I try to build a vintage stompbox

I found this: http://tubedepot.com/r-30bj500.html

Thanks for help,

I'm french, sorry for mistakes

defaced

QuoteSo if I understand you not a big fan of carbon comp Cheesy
Actually, I think he's being serious.  You can find CCs at Mouser - I've priced them because I wanted to do some experimentation with them in tube amps.
-Mike

davent

Have some in my Mouser cart as they were suggested for a few spots in a power supply i'm putting together. Suggested because they're non-inductive. Also tried some in the PI of my 18watt but seem to prefer the 18 with metal films there, aural memory is but a blip.

dave
"If you always do what you always did- you always get what you always got." - Unknown
https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/photobucket-hotlink-fix/kegnjbncdcliihbemealioapbifiaedg

sgmezei

I have also purchased them from Mouser.

R.G.

The question was serious, and only slightly veiled.

It really was intended to ask what the motivation was to get them. CCs are much more available than they once were, largely due to the unending clamor from the boutique side that CC has some kind of mystical tone enhancement. They do, under certain highly specific conditions add a certain soft distortion. These conditions do not occur in stompboxes.
So if the intent was to get magic tone mojo in a 9V powered pedal, the requester would be disappointed or have to make it up in his head. 

There are some prices to be paid for CC use; some of this is monetary, as they are now more expensive than carbon film or metal film, not the cheapest thing available like they were in the 50s and 60s. Also, they have excess noise above their thermal noise, which is a price of another kind, as well as wider tolerances.

If someone knows the issues and wants to experiment, that's great. I'm a big fan of trying slightly crazy stuff just because. I'm not a fan of believing the advertising hype put out by much of the audio industry, and I try to dissipate that where possible with a whiff of 90% pure truth.

The answer - "I try to buld an vintage specs big muff so I try to be as true as the original" - was OK, indicating that there was some understanding that this was not going to be super tone medicine, and also that there was some pure experimentation going on. "Vintage specs big muff" is largely a contradiction in terms, as EH was known to build muffs out of whatever was cheap at the surplus stores back in the day; there are many variations on the vintage big muff, even when it was made by EH. And with the tolerances of parts then, "vintage specs" often meant "hole you could drive a truck through". In some ways it's like wanting to find chestnut trees so you can plant a vintage forest in Pennsylvania; but still an OK thing to do if one knows what one is getting into.

And having been through that, when I have an application where CC is an advantage, I buy mine through Mouser.
R.G.

In response to the questions in the forum - PCB Layout for Musical Effects is available from The Book Patch. Search "PCB Layout" and it ought to appear.

digi2t

Quote from: reverberation66 on July 17, 2012, 10:27:39 PM
"an interesting question is why you want them"...what kind of stupid response is that?  that wasn't the question, the question was where to find them...

Hmmm.... is that.... a bridge, I smell burning?
  • SUPPORTER
Dead End FX
http://www.deadendfx.com/

Asian Icemen rise again...
http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=903467

"My ears don't distinguish good from great.  It's a blessing, really." EBK

mth5044

You can get them at Tayda electronics.

Pyr0

Quote from: mth5044 on July 19, 2012, 12:45:25 AM
You can get them at Tayda electronics.
I don't think so, they only stock the carbon film variety, not the old carbon composition type.

mth5044