Sans Amp GT2 Lion's Roar

Started by Athin, October 06, 2003, 02:33:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Athin

Well @ least the topic will be interesting. This probably will turn out 2 B a silly question but whatnot be it. I've built a SinAmp as on tonepad.com got all the parts allmost right (instead of the BC413B i've got a BC413C and I'm also using TL072CP's) rest the same. Anywayz, when I turn it on all I get is a sound that can be compared to... a lion's roar and the overdriven guitar somewhere in the far background. I don't think this is b-cause I didn't put the bugger into an iron box. I've chceked the board, but since I don't have 2 much time on my hands I was wondering if someone has already experienced a problem like this and knows @ least part of the solution to hthe great puzzle of SOUND.

TIA.
DIY XOR die.

bwanasonic

My Tech 21 GT2 used to make some really strange growling and UFO/synth noises originating from a dirty drive pot. I even wrote Tech 21 to see if there was a way to reliably reproduce some of these sounds. I'm not sure what part of the circuitry was making the sounds ( they went away when I sprayed some DeOxit in the drive pot), but I'm not suprised you have lions in yours! Good luck - there's a reason tonepad calls the difficulty level of that build INSANE.

Kerry M

Athin

I know why the roar kicks in :oops: . Discovered it just 5 mins ago. When the batt goes weaker the "roar" kicks in. That's all. Basically. But the fun part is that I can control the tone of the roar with the switches on the stompbox and on the guitar !!. Any suggestions as for what to look for first?
DIY XOR die.

Arno van der Heijden

Check the pinout of your transistor against the layout. I believe the pinout on the layout is reversed from the bc413.

Mobster

Actually...yes and no. If you make yor own board, then, dont
forget to "mirror" the layout before etching. Okay, i guess, its
too late now  :) , in such a case you either place the transistor
and the ops ON the "copper-side"- but remember, in this case
soldering will become more dirty and less reliable - or place
the elements on the other side - in that case, you need to rota-
te the transistor and..."invert" all op-pins....;-), thats fun........

If unsure, look at Sans Amp GT-2 pics at tonepad.

Nice day to you all !