Author Topic: How do I connect the potentiometer to the the breadboard?  (Read 20836 times)

mt244

How do I connect the potentiometer to the the breadboard?
« on: August 28, 2012, 07:39:54 AM »
im not too sure what wires to use as my normal jumper wires cant connect to the potentiometer. Also I dont want to do any soldering just yet hence im starting of with the breadboard first.

Sorry complete noob here.

Thanks Guys

artifus

Re: How do I connect the potentiometer to the the breadboard?
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2012, 07:44:22 AM »
some pot pins will fit right into breadboard sockets as they are designed for pcb/stripboard mounting. or you could use crocodile clips.

mt244

« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2012, 07:52:56 AM »
some pot pins will fit right into breadboard sockets as they are designed for pcb/stripboard mounting. or you could use crocodile clips.

So I could connect the pot to the breadboard like this?

http://luckylarry.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2009/07/arduino-Pot-motor.JPG

Also how would I then connect the jacks to the breadboard with soldering anything?

artifus

« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2012, 07:58:06 AM »
yes, just like that. some jack sockets are designed for pcb mounting too, but will take up valuable breadboard real estate. if you don't have any yet croc clips can be very useful and are worth getting. you may call them alligator clips.

mt244

« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2012, 08:15:26 AM »
yes, just like that. some jack sockets are designed for pcb mounting too, but will take up valuable breadboard real estate. if you don't have any yet croc clips can be very useful and are worth getting. you may call them alligator clips.

ah great thanks, the pot fits into the breadboard just fine :) Hmmm, i Dont happen to have any alligator clips at the moment, any other alternatives?

artifus

« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2012, 08:23:26 AM »
anything conductive that will provide a secure mechanical connection - paper clip? or just strip your wire, wrap around the terminal and secure with electrical tape. as long as an electrical connection is made signal will flow. use your imagination and whatever you have at hand. have fun!

mt244

« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2012, 08:31:32 AM »
anything conductive that will provide a secure mechanical connection - paper clip? or just strip your wire, wrap around the terminal and secure with electrical tape. as long as an electrical connection is made signal will flow. use your imagination and whatever you have at hand. have fun!

ah lovely thanks. one last question ( I sorta doubt that) but on the schematic aron says mount the 47uF capactitor onto the potentiometer. how do I go about doing that? can I just connect it in series?

artifus

« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2012, 08:34:22 AM »
i'm not familiar with the schematic but just plug it into the breadboard as close to the pot as possible.

diydave

« Reply #8 on: August 28, 2012, 08:50:28 AM »
I have some pots with solid wire soldered to them.
And I also use this:

It's an IC-socket on which I've soldered solid wire. And you can plug in any kind of pot you want.
That way, you can use diffent pots without having to keep them appart for breadboarding because of the solid wires you've solderd on.
The diameter of de solid wire is 0.75 mm▓ (common electrical wire you find in the hardware stores)

Thecomedian

« Reply #9 on: December 21, 2012, 08:49:55 PM »
I once used tin foil covering the pins of my computer's PSU, with tin foil stuck individually into the power strip, alligator clips connecting them, back when I was younger and lost my PSU cable. You can use anything for connecting things. Many things are safer than certain other things.

For pots to breadboards I simply solder wire to the pots and stick the other end of wire into where I need it, although I'd prefer a more robust mechanical solution.
If I can solve the problem for someone else, I've learned valuable skill and information that pays me back for helping someone else.

Jdansti

« Reply #10 on: December 21, 2012, 10:15:36 PM »
I stick cut off component leads in the breadboard and attach alligator clip leads between the cut off lead and the pot or jack lugs. The things to watch out for are accidentally yanking the cut off lead out of the breadboard and the alligator clips on the pots shorting against adjacent lugs or each other.

Small Bear and others have alligator leads for about 3 times less than Radio Shack.

http://www.smallbearelec.com/servlet/Detail?no=986
R.G. Keene: EXPECT there to be errors, and defeat them...