the simplest speaker simulation

Started by vendettav, August 23, 2012, 05:39:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

vendettav

Not a cab simulation guys, just a speaker simulation so that it doesnt sound like sand coming out :P
I'd also want it to keep VERY simple.

Thanks
check my music HERE

Shredtastic psycho metal!

artifus

try a cap to ground on the output to cut some highs maybe

Ben N

Just a cap will give a very shallow (and therefore un-speaker-like) slope. A first- or, better, second-order filter would get you a more speaker-esque high-end roll-off, for the cost of an extra cap and two resistors. Something along the order of this:

This was intended as a line-out circuit for an amp, so you wouldn't need the 680R shunt for stompbox use (or 250v ratings) but that's the basic idea--to get a fairly sharp rolloff above 6khz or so. For the math to tweak your filters, I'd just google filters.
  • SUPPORTER

vendettav

thanks Ben so from what I get, I just build that, the input is the circle marked speaker and the outputs are on the right... the 680 resistor is also eliminated? That's as simple as it could get, I'll try it tonight, thanks
check my music HERE

Ben N

Not entirely sure if you need to do anything with those values, so I suggest reading up on simple 1st & 2nd order filters. This wont give you the mid-notch typical of mny speakers, but it will get you in the ballpark for the high-end rolloff, I think. Some reading:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Low-pass_filter
http://www.electronics-tutorials.ws/filter/filter_2.html

If you look up the frequency response chart for the speaker you are trying to approximate, by using the formula in the second article you should be able to get at least the lo-pass function right. Any more than that and you probably need to go active.
  • SUPPORTER

Johan

DON'T PANIC

vendettav

Quote from: Johan on August 27, 2012, 10:06:32 AM
some simple designes here to ponder... http://www.diystompboxes.com/smfforum/index.php?topic=73342.0
J

thanks guys I actually tried building that thing you posted above Ben and it didn't work. I ended up blatantly sticking a .005uF cap to the ground without any additional resistors and it seems like working fine with my FRFR speaker :P

i'll bookmark the passive speaker sim thread just in case tho thanks :D ^
check my music HERE

Satchmoedie

Can you block the phantom power with coupling caps? Do you ever use any inductors in your filters? It looks better than what some twit did to an Estey Magnatone M10. Wow! I guess it was supposed to be a DI out (unbalanced). Either way the amp is now a working M-10A with added gain in stages 1&2 of the preamp. The VDRs in the amp are worth more than I paid for the amp.  :icon_biggrin: It had been chopped into a head, but all the trim, corners, badging, etc was there! I added two 1960s Jensen P12Rs, and it is now a combo amp again. I will have to try this with the extra holes left in the M10.