Possible to turn a Supa Trem (Tremulator) into a basic Ring Modulator?

Started by midwayfair, March 26, 2013, 05:48:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

midwayfair

I know in something like the tremulus lune that there's a way to just shrink a cap in the feedback loop of the LFO's op amp to bring the LFO into the audio range. Is there a similar simple method in something like this? I have a friend who's bugging me about ring modulators, and he'd rather add it on a switch to something that's already on his board. I just vcan't figure out what sets the maximum speed in this LFO.
My band, Midway Fair: www.midwayfair.org. Myself's music and things I make: www.jonpattonmusic.com. DIY pedal demos: www.youtube.com/jonspatton. PCBs of my Bearhug Compressor and Cardinal Harmonic Tremolo are available from http://www.1776effects.com!

JohnForeman

Jon,
not trying to hijack your thread, but i have a supa trem.  do you think it would be possible to put a vibrato mod on it that works like your blue warbler?
-John

midwayfair

Quote from: JohnForeman on March 26, 2013, 07:24:16 PM
Jon,
not trying to hijack your thread, but i have a supa trem.  do you think it would be possible to put a vibrato mod on it that works like your blue warbler?
-John

Not really sure.

~arph was working on a version of the blue warbler using an op amp, you could try to find his design to see how it's done there. I don't remember where he posted the first draft, though.
My band, Midway Fair: www.midwayfair.org. Myself's music and things I make: www.jonpattonmusic.com. DIY pedal demos: www.youtube.com/jonspatton. PCBs of my Bearhug Compressor and Cardinal Harmonic Tremolo are available from http://www.1776effects.com!

Paul Marossy

The ring modulators I have worked on use an MC1495 IC chip. I don't think you're ever going to get a ring modulator without the addition of that IC chip or something else that does the same thing. Look at the Maestro Ring Modulator schematic.

slacker

I think making the 2.2uF cap smaller will make the LFO go faster, hard to tell from that schematic. A LED/LDR combo probably won't do much at audio frequencies though, an LDR is too slow to switch on and off that fast.

Jazznoise

As has been said, most optocoupler based AM circuits roll off pretty steep after about 30 Hz, you'll hear the modulation index drop extremely quickly.

Opto-Fets are, by the spec sheet, a much better option. Haven't ever tried them myself, though.
Expressway To Yr Null

midwayfair

Quote from: slacker on March 27, 2013, 10:02:23 AMA LED/LDR combo probably won't do much at audio frequencies though, an LDR is too slow to switch on and off that fast.

You're right, I hadn't thought of that! I'll relay the bad news.

I just hope he doesn't find out about the Ring Stinger and ask me to build one. :P

Jazznoise: Optofets have a tendency to distort in situations like what's shown in the schematic. I've been trying to get them to work for quite a while now. :)

Jazznoise

Reading up I'm seeing crazy figures, one particular person claiming they tend to distort after about 100mV of signal. I'm thinking that an active feedback path could be a cheeky solution to this (set up a non inverting amp, take the output and feed a max of 100mv through the Opto, then amplifty it with an inverting stage by something around ten and send it to the non-inverting amps input). It's abit crazy, but it might work. Balanced feedback pre-amps do something similar, but with no VCR element.

Have you found any difference when the signal has been DC offset?
Expressway To Yr Null

midwayfair

Quote from: Jazznoise on March 27, 2013, 10:43:21 AM
Reading up I'm seeing crazy figures, one particular person claiming they tend to distort after about 100mV of signal. I'm thinking that an active feedback path could be a cheeky solution to this (set up a non inverting amp, take the output and feed a max of 100mv through the Opto, then amplifty it with an inverting stage by something around ten and send it to the non-inverting amps input). It's abit crazy, but it might work. Balanced feedback pre-amps do something similar, but with no VCR element.

Have you found any difference when the signal has been DC offset?

In Ray Ring's opto-FET squeezer, he simply uses a DC shunt to prevent the distortion. It works great -- the problem is that it's basically a bypass, and bypassing the variable resistance element in a tremolo ... well ... equals no tremolo. Maybe we should start a new thread and pick the community's brain.

But apparently the H11F1 is on a path to obsolescence anyway. I don't know how much effort is worth being expended over it unless there's an SMD part.

Jazznoise

I'm game if you're game.

Well the part was reintroduced recently, and there are surface mount versions. That aside, bizarre design challanges are the closest thing I have to soduku - I can never find my pens. Anyway, here's the possible idea I just brainstormed there. Signals upto 1V should be fine, over 1V and they'll begin clipping the Opto Fet.

Expressway To Yr Null