Author Topic: Query with stereo jack?  (Read 3038 times)

mt244

Query with stereo jack?
« on: September 01, 2012, 07:53:40 AM »
http://api.ning.com/files/pC43EdqPXHaiIOPZ46*SddftlxQqtaULR5EVj6*9KfgShhB9*64E*ubCL6AN*l-HBeedHnQ3feKJpuvYUuNW4gdd-r6IsGk7/monostereo.JPG?width=721

Hi, my stereo jacks both look something like the one above. I know the pinout for them however they have them on each side of the jack. does it matter which side I use?

artifus

Re: Query with stereo jack?
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2012, 08:29:24 AM »
can't see your image, but yes. the socket may be used as a switch and when you insert a jack plug you will be either making or breaking a connection between the two sides. if you have a continuity tester (an led, resistor and battery will do) insert a jack plug and probe the jack tip and the sockets connection to find which side to use.

bluebunny

Re: Query with stereo jack?
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2012, 10:00:59 AM »
Hi, my stereo jacks both look something like the one above. I know the pinout for them however they have them on each side of the jack. does it matter which side I use?

Make your connections to the pins on the far side of your picture.  They connect to the jack when it's inserted (as you can see in the rightmost example).  As artifus guessed, the pins on the near side are for switching (normalising).
  • SUPPORTER
Ohm's Law - much like Coles Law, but with less cabbage...