BLACK FOREST High Gain Preamp - Based on the Bogner Uberschall

Started by J0K3RX, September 01, 2012, 02:49:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

scuzzphut

J0K3RX - I'm looking at the LEDs and wondering if the single LED off the 3PDT is redundant because of the dual colour one.

I'm thinking that I switch the 9V through the 3PDT to R23.

Unless - were you thinking that the 2 colour would always show the mode, regardless of whether the pedal is engaged or not ?  So that you can see what mode it's in before you stomp into boost mode and drown out the drum solo ?? (might not be a bad thing.....)

J0K3RX

Quote from: scuzzphut on September 18, 2012, 05:51:12 PM
J0K3RX - I'm looking at the LEDs and wondering if the single LED off the 3PDT is redundant because of the dual colour one.

I'm thinking that I switch the 9V through the 3PDT to R23.

Unless - were you thinking that the 2 colour would always show the mode, regardless of whether the pedal is engaged or not ?  So that you can see what mode it's in before you stomp into boost mode and drown out the drum solo ?? (might not be a bad thing.....)

Yeah, there are a few options you can do... I just did it this way because of simplicity. The 3PDT tells you if the pedal is engaged or in bypass mode and the boost switch which is independent lets you know if you are in high gain mode or lower gain mode. The gain/boost switch is really just a gain boost, it does not increase the volume... You can try whatever configuration you like :icon_wink: Share here what you come up with?
Doesn't matter what you did to get it... If it sounds good, then it is good!

pakrat

Definitely a good idea but..... if you are using this as a preamp as I am planning to, then it would always be on anyway. The dual led will always let you know what mode you're in.

J0K3RX

Quote from: pakrat on September 18, 2012, 06:50:26 PM

Definitely a good idea but..... if you are using this as a preamp as I am planning to, then it would always be on anyway. The dual led will always let you know what mode you're in.

I was going to make a 3 channel, Lead - Rhythm - Clean :icon_mrgreen: Might want a bigger enclosure though! Good news is you can just use 2 stages bypassing the rest for the clean channel... Bad news is you will probably want to add some extra pots :icon_frown: but, would be cool huh!? maybe later :-\

pakrat

A 3 channel would be sick! I just happen to have a 1790s that would be perfect for that  :icon_wink:

J0K3RX

Quote from: pakrat on September 19, 2012, 02:35:47 PM
A 3 channel would be sick! I just happen to have a 1790s that would be perfect for that  :icon_wink:

Let me draw it up for ya :icon_mrgreen: I'm not gonna test it cause I am busy doing some other stuff so you will be the pioneer on this one... I am sure it will work. Plus I don't have a bunch of extra pots to spare right now...

pakrat

Sweet.... I'll build it both ways and do some testing before boxing it up. I might have to build 2 of these now  :icon_evil:

J0K3RX

Here is a less metal sound I recorded real fast before I stick it in a box... still pretty heavy but toned down a bit. Sh!tty playing, timing horrible but if I run a Superior Drummer it kills my CPU... It's already killing my CPU just running a cab sim and slight delay! :icon_frown: Computer SUCKS!!!

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/11178619/Dragon%20Attack2.mp3

pakrat

Sounded great to me man. Toned down? It still sounds heavy as hell with a rich bottom end. I can't wait for my parts to show up and have this project kick all my others off the bench! And your playing was great too.

J0K3RX

Quote from: pakrat on September 22, 2012, 11:19:03 AM
Sounded great to me man. Toned down? It still sounds heavy as hell with a rich bottom end. I can't wait for my parts to show up and have this project kick all my others off the bench! And your playing was great too.

Ha ha.. Thanks man!

Here's my box.. what a pain in the @ss! Oh and I re-named it as you can see... :icon_rolleyes:

pakrat

That looks great, nice and dark  :icon_evil: Is that decals on that?

pakrat

I just did my first waterslide on a tubescreamer, and I thought I'd never say this, but etching is much easier for me! I did manage to get a great buffed surface, but the decal curled when I installed the nuts for switches etc... Now I know for next time to cut the holes in the decal BEFORE the clear. All in all it came out nice, and now I'm under the gun to finish boxing it before a gig tonight.

J0K3RX

Quote from: pakrat on September 22, 2012, 12:22:58 PM
I just did my first waterslide on a tubescreamer, and I thought I'd never say this, but etching is much easier for me! I did manage to get a great buffed surface, but the decal curled when I installed the nuts for switches etc... Now I know for next time to cut the holes in the decal BEFORE the clear. All in all it came out nice, and now I'm under the gun to finish boxing it before a gig tonight.

I need to get those water slide decals! Thanks for the tip about the holes!! I used photo paper and transferred the image on with toner and then clear coated over the toner. As soon as the clear coat goes over the toner it turns black. After it dried I turned it face down and painted the sides flat black. Then after that dried I turned it back face up and clear coated the whole thing again.. Works pretty good except I burned the F__K outa my finger tips while I was ironing the stupid toner image on the top!!! :icon_evil:

pakrat

Yeah, never enjoyed the ironing much.... I love results though, so I keep going. Of course I box this thing up and it doesn't work. I first had it hooked up to a beavis box, awesome for trying stuff out. Box it up... no go. I guess I don't get to use my shiny new tube screamer for the show  :icon_sad:

pakrat

Well duh, I had in and out from the board reversed. Funny how the stupid things can trip you up.....

vendettav

check my music HERE

Shredtastic psycho metal!

Maik

Quote from: J0K3RX on September 22, 2012, 12:40:43 PM
I need to get those water slide decals!

Hey JOK3RX, check out decals for ceramic. You have to put them into an oven and the decal will burn in. You can drill the box after finishing and the decal will NOT come up.

http://www.pearl.de/a-VM5726-2421.shtml

J0K3RX

Quote from: Maik on September 24, 2012, 09:52:22 AM
Quote from: J0K3RX on September 22, 2012, 12:40:43 PM
I need to get those water slide decals!

Hey JOK3RX, check out decals for ceramic. You have to put them into an oven and the decal will burn in. You can drill the box after finishing and the decal will NOT come up.

http://www.pearl.de/a-VM5726-2421.shtml

Thanks Maik! I am gonna have to look for those on ebay! I live in the US :icon_rolleyes:

pakrat

@Maik Have you actually tried baking one of those onto an enclosure? I'd like to try that myself since I have learned I hate waterslides.....

pakrat

And I decided to post this while I wait for the parts to arrive....

Muhahahahaaaa........