BLACK FOREST High Gain Preamp - Based on the Bogner Uberschall

Started by J0K3RX, September 01, 2012, 02:49:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hari

Hello, I have a plan to build high gain distortion pedal again  :) ( I've build sansamp GT2, Metalzone (bought a kit), Shredmaster, etc).

I just want to make sure myself :

The latest Black Forest PCB layout is on page 12, (?)

ENGL on page 16 post#304... Post#307 for the latest PCB transfer

and I'll keep reading this topic

:icon_smile:

peace...

stormbringer79

yeah. Those are the versions which i have built, can confirm both as working. :)

Maik

jymaze

Stormbringer,

Do you prefer the Engl of the Black Forest overall? I will build one someday, but only one of them so I have to choose wisely. I know Jok3rx tends to prefer the Engl. I am more a lead type of guy, but i of course enjoy chuncky rhythm :icon_evil:

pakrat

Quote from: jymaze on March 28, 2013, 08:35:38 AM
Stormbringer,

Do you prefer the Engl of the Black Forest overall? I will build one someday, but only one of them so I have to choose wisely. I know Jok3rx tends to prefer the Engl. I am more a lead type of guy, but i of course enjoy chuncky rhythm :icon_evil:
I think the Black Forest still has some noise issues to be worked out. I can't comment on the Engl since I haven't built it yet, but I've heard it's nice and plan to build it soon. My Black Forest has noise at the moment but it sounds great otherwise and the lead tone is really good!
Here is my BF just finished last night:

jymaze

J0K3RX

Sorry... contents of post has been deleted!

Moderator.. Oh moderator..... Helloooo? Please oh please would you delete my post!? :'(  
Doesn't matter what you did to get it... If it sounds good, then it is good!

stormbringer79

Well, i built the black forest with noise gate option, and it's virtually silent using my 7-string with active pickups. I havent added noise gate and boxed the Engl yet, so far it hums a little more.

Right now i'm using the Black forest as my main dist, but i plan to use the engl aswell. I will use the black forest for heavy riffs, and the Engl for Leads. But both pedal does both parts very good. It's just my personal preference.

I would recommend Building both actually, they are far from expensive, and doesnt really take any time to build.

Unfortunately i didn't have the Black forest when we recorded our album or i would have used it, but we're gonna record a new song soon, and i will use both pedals when reamping. :)

pakrat

@stormbringer which version of the Black Forest did you build please?

J0K3RX

Quote from: stormbringer79 on March 29, 2013, 10:24:00 AM
Well, i built the black forest with noise gate option, and it's virtually silent using my 7-string with active pickups. I havent added noise gate and boxed the Engl yet, so far it hums a little more.

Right now i'm using the Black forest as my main dist, but i plan to use the engl aswell. I will use the black forest for heavy riffs, and the Engl for Leads. But both pedal does both parts very good. It's just my personal preference.

I would recommend Building both actually, they are far from expensive, and doesnt really take any time to build.

Unfortunately i didn't have the Black forest when we recorded our album or i would have used it, but we're gonna record a new song soon, and i will use both pedals when reamping. :)

Can you tell us which version you made, parts/values used etc...?

I think I am gonna start over from the beginning and go from there... See where it went wrong? It worked up until shortly after the 5th gain stage was added. If I remember it worked after the 5th stage but something I did after that started the hum. I don't think I ever tried to back out of it and go back to the way it was right after the 5th stage...

stormbringer79

I made the 4.1 Version, used your layout, but on perfboard, i did however move the tonestack cap-section down below the rest to make the board a little less wide to fit in my box.

All resistors spot on values, Metal Film 0.6W except for the 1.5k, which are 2 series carbon to obtain the right value, All capacitors are panasonic EQCB, PC12 or Wima MKS2, also, the pf range i used only ceramic for C3, rest are Panasonic EQCB or WIMA FKP2 (polyprophene).

Shielded wires In, out and to gain pot. It is in series with my delay in the box aswell though, not true bypass as i want the trail-feature, but just a jfet switch it's passing through, so not coloring anything really.

J0K3RX

Quote from: stormbringer79 on March 30, 2013, 01:14:35 PM
I made the 4.1 Version, used your layout, but on perfboard, i did however move the tonestack cap-section down below the rest to make the board a little less wide to fit in my box.

All resistors spot on values, Metal Film 0.6W except for the 1.5k, which are 2 series carbon to obtain the right value, All capacitors are panasonic EQCB, PC12 or Wima MKS2, also, the pf range i used only ceramic for C3, rest are Panasonic EQCB or WIMA FKP2 (polyprophene).

Shielded wires In, out and to gain pot. It is in series with my delay in the box aswell though, not true bypass as i want the trail-feature, but just a jfet switch it's passing through, so not coloring anything really.

That's great man, really appreciate you giving that info!! Not sure what your magic is but I am really glad it works for you!!! Could you post a sound clip and or some gut shots maybe? I have another BF with on-board pots but minus the extra jfet/5th gain stage... Maybe I will make it optional where you can add it or leave it out if you want. Might post it today if I get a chance... Thanks again for your help!!

pakrat

I already had shielded wire for input so I just put shielded wire in for output and gain pot and still have noise. The only difference between my and stormbringer's build now is poly caps instead of the ceramics and relocating the tone stack.

pakrat

Correction.... mt noise levels have dropped after closing the box. It's definitely better than before!

@stormbringer Is your build completely noise free??

stormbringer79

I will record some samples. Although my pedal is currently in our rehearsal studio, will bring it home monday and record.

It is very silent using my seven string. But that guitar have great pickups. Active emg's. It does hum some on my other guitars. I run it with noise gate set to max.

pakrat

I run mine with emg81's also, and with gate at max but still have a little noise. It's not too bad though and the pedal sounds great! Thanks for the info stormbringer.

jymaze

If you guy have noise with your active pickups, I will have ten times as much with my passive DiMarzio's!

pakrat

I just ran a test for you jymaze. I tried 3 different guitars with different passive pickups and it squeals like crazy with gain turned passed 4 on all of them. I tried duncan distortion, dimarzio x2n, and a bare knuckles warpig. Active Emg's have no squeal....

jymaze

Thanks for the test Pakrat, that is what I thought...