BLACK FOREST High Gain Preamp - Based on the Bogner Uberschall

Started by J0K3RX, September 01, 2012, 02:49:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

J0K3RX

Ok, first off... What is it with guys named Sergey??? Are they all bad@sses?

Now, let me start by saying that I owned the SS-30 and I could not get this sound! It sounded great but I could not get THIS SOUND... I even went so far as to match the knob setting from this video and not even close... There are many factors in play here! Number 1. My name isn't Sergey and that is probably the biggest factor! :icon_lol: Number 2. I don't have a Tube Cake power amp running into a custom cab with some weird hairless egyptian looking sphinx cat sitting on top with a SM57 perfectly placed running into some totally magically tweaked DAW, and wood floors, of course... Number 3. I don't own a $5000.00 Suhr custom guitar which is irrelevant at this point since my name is not Sergey... Are you getting what I am trying to say here?? :icon_lol:

Doesn't matter what you did to get it... If it sounds good, then it is good!

J0K3RX

Did somebody say variac?  :icon_mrgreen:

Must have been the high gain voices in my head :icon_twisted:

Not to get yer hopes up but if this works it will open up a can of high gain whoop@ss!!! :icon_twisted:

Don't worry... daughter board is coming

hari

my second post for this threat

I already etched Blacker Forest 4 stages PCB, and I have few questions:

1. can I use 2k2 instead of 2k4 ?
2. Any relpacement for bat85 ?
3 Wide mean another switch (DPDT) ?

I hope it can beat Metalzone  :D

best regard
peace...

JebemMajke

Bat 41, 42, 43, 45.

Come on verify layout so that i can start making that thing as well :)

jymaze

2.2 instead of 2.4k should not hurt too much as it is barely a 10% deviation.

Any schottky will work there, and I am sure it would sound good without the schottky too.

For the layout verification... I am sure if you sit 5 to 10 minutes with the layout on your left and the schematic on your right you can verify it. It is a very clear and linearly oriented layout so it is easy to verify.

J0K3RX

Quote from: hari on April 11, 2013, 04:16:18 AM
my second post for this threat

I already etched Blacker Forest 4 stages PCB, and I have few questions:

1. can I use 2k2 instead of 2k4 ?
2. Any relpacement for bat85 ?
3 Wide mean another switch (DPDT) ?

I hope it can beat Metalzone  :D

best regard

1. can I use 2k2 instead of 2k4 ? - Yes
2. Any relpacement for bat85 ? - probably just about any schottky diodes will work
3 Wide mean another switch (DPDT) ? - optional...

jymaze - already explained...

beat Metalzone?? FYI - This is a preamp

stormbringer79

Metal Zone is the noisiest thing out there (although i like that you can emulate it by using a chainsaw and a pitch pedal ;)), and it's so intense on the highs, The black forest beats it both as a pedal and as a preamp with miles.

Was gonna build the 4-stage right now, and realized i'm out of schottkys (well, i do have some HUGE ones, about the same size as 1n5408, but no.. Will wait a few days for new to arrive :P)

J0K3RX

Quote from: stormbringer79 on April 11, 2013, 09:41:09 AM

Was gonna build the 4-stage right now, and realized i'm out of schottkys (well, i do have some HUGE ones, about the same size as 1n5408, but no.. Will wait a few days for new to arrive :P)

You can leave them out until they arrive... It will still work very well!

caspercody

I have not played any these amps you are emulating, would any of them get close to that tone (in the video)? Either the BF, or ENGL.

J0K3RX

Quote from: caspercody on April 11, 2013, 02:54:07 PM
I have not played any these amps you are emulating, would any of them get close to that tone (in the video)? Either the BF, or ENGL.

I don't see why not... Same type design. ENGL might be the closest match. Remember, it's not just the preamp itself making that tone but the combination of the SS30 and the Tube Cake 3 watt power amp pedal... And it helps a lot if your name is Sergey! :icon_wink:

JebemMajke

So I've started BF 4 fet version and Krank at the same time and I lack some parts. 2.7k and 2.4k resistors to name a few :)
Both plates are on my working table waiting for parts ...
Also I've etched Dr boogie pcb, just to try it out. Maybe I'll like it, who knows.
Ps I think that I'll finish BF 4 fet, Krank, Zvex Box of metal and boogie at the same time. And I'll do a test with these pedals and MT-2. Just for the sake of fun.

pakrat

I too have the Krank and BF 4 fet boards etched. Still waiting on some caps though. Arrrgh I HATE waiting!!

J0K3RX

Sh!t man, if I don't have the right value resistor I just find two in series that get it or close! Might not look as good but if I were in it to win a beauty contest I would never get anything built...

JebemMajke

Well i do the same in most cases. But i also need some electro's and 22n's and some pots.

Any way i've etched madbeans chunk chunk board ( boogie ) and already I;ve decided to remove presence pot. I'm not sure that I'll need it. My guess is that I just ignore holes for that pot and the cap?

J0K3RX

Quote from: JebemMajke on April 13, 2013, 06:30:38 AM
Well i do the same in most cases. But i also need some electro's and 22n's and some pots.

Any way i've etched madbeans chunk chunk board ( boogie ) and already I;ve decided to remove presence pot. I'm not sure that I'll need it. My guess is that I just ignore holes for that pot and the cap?

I am always in need of some pots... :icon_rolleyes:

Yeah, you can just leave the presence off of the chunk chunk... you can leave the cap in or take it out makes no difference since the pot sends it to ground and if not there then no connection to ground... will work either way.

Cap

Blacker Forest 4 gain stages

Build doc:
http://db.tt/Sr6COBTg

Pics:
http://i875.photobucket.com/albums/ab315/Cap_87/IMG096.jpg
http://i875.photobucket.com/albums/ab315/Cap_87/IMG095.jpg

There are two different sets of pot values of the tonestack..Jim?? Layout it's the same anyway
Feel free to ask questions or pm me ;)

pakrat

JebemMajke

Nice one Cap. Say, what's the size of that layout of yours.

PS
Build report
Finished BF 4 fet
Wow. Really nice, really chunky. I'll try 2sk117's tomorrow. J201's do tend to turn fet distortions into big muff :)
It's way different than E3, but that's a good thing :D. Pardon my French, but this one sounds bassy and low as @#$% :D, which is great. Great build, really recommended. Jim great job on this one. And i haven't even placed that eq sw. Haven't tried a bogner, but this thing ripps.

pakrat

That's great to hear Miša, I'm still waiting on some stuff to arrive while my unpopulated boards laugh at me  :icon_rolleyes:   Have you built the Krank yet? I have that one waiting as well..... it's gonna be a marathon of building this weekend.