BLACK FOREST High Gain Preamp - Based on the Bogner Uberschall

Started by J0K3RX, September 01, 2012, 02:49:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

palobonilla

J0K3RX

So, your demo was on bread board then? What was your signal chain, hope you don't mind me asking...?
Doesn't matter what you did to get it... If it sounds good, then it is good!

palobonilla

hehehehe yes the thing were mounted on a bread board. The signal chain was guitar -> pedal -> audio interface -> revalver MKIII ( i used a peavey 6505 with flat settings and the default 2x12 cabinet). I already have the ting in a pcb but i designed it with PCB wizzard and is not so good.

J0K3RX

Quote from: palobonilla on August 07, 2013, 09:45:21 PM
I already have the ting in a pcb but i designed it with PCB wizzard and is not so good.

To me it doesn't matter... If it sounds good, then it is good! And, it sounds damn good!  :icon_wink:

palobonilla

QuoteTo me it doesn't matter... If it sounds good, then it is good! And, it sounds damn good!  icon_wink
well, here are the PCB i hope you get through taht mess  :icon_biggrin:. By the way you can see the values of the components if you doubleclick them. http://www.filehostfree.com/?d=520301831

J0K3RX

Quote from: palobonilla on August 07, 2013, 10:27:09 PM
QuoteTo me it doesn't matter... If it sounds good, then it is good! And, it sounds damn good!  icon_wink
well, here are the PCB i hope you get through taht mess  :icon_biggrin:. By the way you can see the values of the components if you doubleclick them. http://www.filehostfree.com/?d=520301831

mess ha ha... That ain't a bad layout at all!  :icon_wink: Hell, all my layouts look like Sha Ca Ca...  I'ma build me one! You ROCK!!!  :icon_twisted: Thank You Thank You!!

palobonilla

Quotemess ha ha... That ain't a bad layout at all!  :icon_wink: Hell, all my layouts look like Sha Ca Ca...  I'ma build me one! You ROCK!!!    :icon_twisted: Thank You Thank You!!
that´s nothing buddy enjoy it!!!!!

deadastronaut

bummer, my pc wont play soundcloud files for some reason... ::)

looks like a cool distortion man. :icon_twisted:
https://www.youtube.com/user/100roberthenry
https://deadastronaut.wixsite.com/effects

chasm reverb/tremshifter/faze filter/abductor II delay/timestream reverb/dreamtime delay/skinwalker hi gain dist/black triangle OD/ nano drums/space patrol fuzz//

ggedamed

Whoa, that's massive! I like the Twin-T switch, it's a cool ideea. You should make its own thread, it deserves it.

Man, I remember the days when I had time and no ideas, except changing the clipping diodes :icon_lol:. My to-do list is getting bigger and bigger. I wonder how many stages would be needed with 2SK117 or 2SK170.
Minds are like parachutes. They only function when they are open. (Sir James Dewar, Scientist, 1877-1925)

palobonilla

QuoteI wonder how many stages would be needed with 2SK117 or 2SK170

That's a good question, maybe two, who knows  ;D

QuoteI like the Twin-T switch, it's a cool ideea

Yeah, wellfor a good sounding pedal you need to kill some of the high-mid range that comes from the preamp sound but you first need to find the right frequency to notch, is not the same in evey case, i'm working on a twin - t for a dr. boogie i built long time ago   :icon_biggrin:

J0K3RX

Quote from: ggedamed on August 08, 2013, 02:06:11 PM
Whoa, that's massive! I like the Twin-T switch, it's a cool ideea. You should make its own thread, it deserves it.

Man, I remember the days when I had time and no ideas, except changing the clipping diodes :icon_lol:. My to-do list is getting bigger and bigger. I wonder how many stages would be needed with 2SK117 or 2SK170.

Totally agree, sounds MASSIVE as you say and really should make a thread just for this beast!!! And I gotta say the playing is excellent as well!!

I know what you mean about your "to-do" list... mine is a thousand miles long and I only got my 1 mile walkin shoes on :icon_rolleyes:

J0K3RX

Quote from: palobonilla on August 07, 2013, 09:45:21 PM
hehehehe yes the thing were mounted on a bread board. The signal chain was guitar -> pedal -> audio interface -> revalver MKIII ( i used a peavey 6505 with flat settings and the default 2x12 cabinet). I already have the ting in a pcb but i designed it with PCB wizzard and is not so good.

palobonilla,

Please answer if you are still around...!

In looking at your signal chain it concerns me that you are running into the Peavey 6505 software amp modeling head! I am wondering if a lot of the monster tone and magic is coming from the 6505 especially since it is the last in line before the cab!? Can you just bypass the 6505 and go direct into the 2X12 combo? Or, use a power amp simulator instead of the 6505 if you really need to have some sort of buffer/amp before the cab. By the way, what was the gain setting on the 6505?? Maybe you can use some impulses made with power amp and cabs? Anything that will truly show the tone, gain and dynamics of this preamp...

Thanks,
Jim

J0K3RX

Well, I will know soon... almost done with my build.  :icon_lol:

deadastronaut

chasm reverb/tremshifter/faze filter/abductor II delay/timestream reverb/dreamtime delay/skinwalker hi gain dist/black triangle OD/ nano drums/space patrol fuzz//

J0K3RX

Quote from: deadastronaut on August 14, 2013, 01:32:54 PM
^ you talking to yourself again?... ;D

i often do too ::)

yeah... I should join the DIYSB forum a couple more times with different names for my other 2 personalities so I can get some damn support around here :icon_twisted:

J0K3RX  :icon_twisted: J0K3RY  :icon_evil: and J0K3RZ  :icon_cool:

J0K3RX

Got it built, this Aggression Mu and I have to say I am VERY disappointed! Looks like a beast and sounded like one in the demo? :icon_cry: But, it sounds nothing like the clip we heard??? No presence, average amount of gain about the same as a stock BSIAB... I think the sound demo was mostly software amp simulation...? I even tried it in ReValver III with 6505 amp and even the 6505 power amp with default cabs and not EVEN remotely like the sound we heard in the demo! WTF?? I will go over it again with the schematic but I was pretty damn thorough the first time around! Any ideas before I re-claim all these friggin J201's on this thing? And holy crow, there's a butt load of 1u caps as well....  :o  Muddy, muffled, bass heavy and not much gain... even a tube screamer in front of it doesn't get it chunkin? I would have waited for somebody else to build it first but I would have turned 80 years old by the time that happened... so I did it :icon_rolleyes: Please tell me I am not a fool ???

deadastronaut

@jim, jokerx,jokery,jokerz... ;D

yeah demo's should be 'pedal only' especially with distortions imho..no trimmings,sims ,EQ's  etc, it gives a false representation of what it really is...kinda pointless really.

you just want to hear the 'potential' of it... :icon_evil:

don't you do breadboarding?.

jymaze

Weird... 3 mu-amps in a row should have a truckload of gain! Each mu-amp must have like 10 times more gain than a simple jfet stage!

palobonilla

QuoteGot it built, this Aggression Mu and I have to say I am VERY disappointed! Looks like a beast and sounded like one in the demo? icon_cry But, it sounds nothing like the clip we heard??? No presence, average amount of gain about the same as a stock BSIAB... I think the sound demo was mostly software amp simulation...? I even tried it in ReValver III with 6505 amp and even the 6505 power amp with default cabs and not EVEN remotely like the sound we heard in the demo! WTF?? I will go over it again with the schematic but I was pretty damn thorough the first time around! Any ideas before I re-claim all these friggin J201's on this thing? And holy crow, there's a butt load of 1u caps as well....  Shocked  Muddy, muffled, bass heavy and not much gain... even a tube screamer in front of it doesn't get it chunkin? I would have waited for somebody else to build it first but I would have turned 80 years old by the time that happened... so I did it icon_rolleyes Please tell me I am not a fool Huh

:-\ uploading a only pedal in preamp mode clip, wait