BLACK FOREST High Gain Preamp - Based on the Bogner Uberschall

Started by J0K3RX, September 01, 2012, 02:49:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

J0K3RX

Quote from: deadastronaut on August 22, 2013, 03:05:30 AM
@jim:  do you just build without breadboading first?....just curious.

depends... if I had more time and space I would breadboard more but for me it's quicker to just etch and populate.. If it's got a large number of components I usually don't breadboard. I get distracted and pulled away a lot and when I come back to a breadboard with a lot going on I have to remember where I left off which usually takes me a good bit of time. I have kids running all around and go to work then come home and stuff has been moved etc...
Doesn't matter what you did to get it... If it sounds good, then it is good!

J0K3RX

GSmith

Hi guys! No capacitor in parallel with 9v ? ???

Ice-9

Quote from: J0K3RX on August 22, 2013, 07:05:22 PM
Quote from: deadastronaut on August 22, 2013, 03:05:30 AM
@jim:  do you just build without breadboading first?....just curious.

depends... if I had more time and space I would breadboard more but for me it's quicker to just etch and populate.. If it's got a large number of components I usually don't breadboard. I get distracted and pulled away a lot and when I come back to a breadboard with a lot going on I have to remember where I left off which usually takes me a good bit of time. I have kids running all around and go to work then come home and stuff has been moved etc...

Sometimes I cad and etch a pcb instead of breadboarding, it can be quicker and more practical at times.
www.stanleyfx.co.uk

Sanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting the same result. Mick Taylor

Please at least have 1 forum post before sending me a PM demanding something.

jymaze

Quote from: GSmith on November 05, 2013, 03:09:06 PM
Hi guys! No condencator in parallel with 9v ? ???

There is a RC filter for each stage (R6/C7, R13/C13, R18/C19), so no need for a capacitor placed at Vdd for these to have clean power.

Would need one to filter for the rest of the circuit though, you are right.

GSmith

Hi Jymaze...Have you try? Does it help? Not at home this week but wanna look further with this circuit, think I'll put it on a protoboard this WE...
What´s wrong Jok3erx with your build? How Is the signal before the operational amps stages?
Not very usefull but... why put a 220p on Q2 & Q6 (between D & S) and not on Q4?

Pojo

Doesn't the signal going into the opamps need to connect to Vaa through a large resistor to keep the signal half-way between the power rails? Looks like the signal coming out of the last mu-stage goes right into the + input of the opamp.....I'm probably missing something though.

jymaze

I haven't tried it, too many other projects. The opamps are correctly biased as the muamp output should be at about 4.5V if the jfets are not too mismatched. This circuit should be perfectly functional. Actually the only caveat I would see is too much gain, hence noise and unstability!

J0K3RX

I tried it twice but no dice..  :-\ I tried the layout from the original poster palobonilla and another layout that Rcustoms made. I went over both layouts extensively with no luck so I shelved it and moved on to other stuff I was working on at the time. The sound demo lured me in and I am still drooling over it! I have found a few other schematics in various Russian forums that are similar to this one and I don't doubt that it will work. I may try to bread board it one stage at a time or I may try to make my own layout. At the moment I am working on some other stuff so it's still eating at me... I don't like to be defeated :icon_evil:

FYI - You better stock up on 1u caps if you're gonna build it... This is loaded with them!

jymaze

Maybe you should do some voltage readings around the semi-conductors and post them? This thing should work and have insane gain!

frankenfurter

Hi Jok3rx,
really awsome work!!! Which BF schematic would be the latest?
Cant wait to build this thing!

DEVASTATOR

j2sip

A newbie very late to the party..

Does the BOOGAZY layout contain/includes a clean channel? I'm very keen on a clean-crunch-more crunch pedal based on this very awesome design..

Thanks to JOK3RX!

J0K3RX

Quote from: j2sip on February 01, 2014, 05:11:19 AM

A newbie very late to the party..

Does the BOOGAZY layout contain/includes a clean channel? I'm very keen on a clean-crunch-more crunch pedal based on this very awesome design..

Thanks to JOK3RX!

Did I make a Boogazzy layout, I don't remember? :icon_rolleyes: Got a link?  :icon_lol:

J0K3RX

BTW - A very talented guy in Indonesia by the name of Arzone made a really nice 1590b layout for the BF5...  I may have to build it myself sometime! :icon_wink:

Schematic
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/11178619/BF5/BF5_sch.jpg

youtube
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3HjxeRFr2hI

pakrat

That's a nice compact layout. It's good to see this project is still alive, guess I need to give it another try  :icon_twisted:

selfdestroyer

J0K3RX,
DId Arzone make this layout available? I made your 1590B Triple Wreck and I would love to build this one also.

Cody

J0K3RX

Quote from: selfdestroyer on February 01, 2014, 11:10:08 PM
J0K3RX,
DId Arzone make this layout available? I made your 1590B Triple Wreck and I would love to build this one also.

Cody

Yup! I gots it... Ya want it? :icon_mrgreen:

selfdestroyer

Quote from: J0K3RX on February 01, 2014, 11:18:06 PM
J0K3RX,

Cody

Perty Please. I am itching to start a build tonight.

J0K3RX

Quote from: selfdestroyer on February 01, 2014, 11:23:15 PM
Quote from: J0K3RX on February 01, 2014, 11:18:06 PM
J0K3RX,

Cody

Perty Please. I am itching to start a build tonight.

Check yer email...  :icon_wink: Anybody else wants it PM me.. not gonna post it here

I doctored it up a bit, not much... Just tried to make more clearance on some of the traces. Watch out for shorts!