heathkit ta 28 fuzz booster

Started by pinkjimiphoton, September 07, 2012, 09:06:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LucifersTrip

Quote from: Electron Tornado on March 14, 2013, 03:00:21 PM

Does anyone have any idea why it will cut out with a 0.1uf cap on the input?

Mine doesn't cut out, but it does sag when that 50K up front is jacked. That was my only complaint when I first built it, so I wound up putting a switch between the original and .033, which is the smallest cap I liked before the tone changed too much.

The explanation was given by PRR:

http://www.diystompboxes.com/smfforum/index.php?topic=90489.msg769424#msg769424
"I suspect it would handle chords better (not great) if C1 0.1uFd were much smaller, even 0.01uFd. This with the treble-loading would bandpass a narrow slice of guitar spectrum, so the wide spread of partials on guitar chords did not intermodulate all over the audio band."

...and you're in that thread, too
always think outside the box

Electron Tornado

Thanks for that link! I recall the discussion going over more than one thread, but when I searched, that one didn't come up. I still don't understand why it happens, though.
  • SUPPORTER
"Corn meal, gun powder, ham hocks, and guitar strings"

Who is John Galt?

LucifersTrip

Quote from: Electron Tornado on March 15, 2013, 09:01:18 AM
Thanks for that link! I recall the discussion going over more than one thread, but when I searched, that one didn't come up. I still don't understand why it happens, though.

I think you can get the answer by reversing the above, but I'm not good enough to explain it.

.1uF is not bandpassing a narrow slice of guitar spectrum, so the wide spread of partials on guitar chords will intermodulate all over the audio band
always think outside the box

Electron Tornado

I'm still not sure if that explains what's going on. It depends on what Paul meant by "handle chords". I took that to mean in the same way that a fuzz can sound bad when playing chords due to intermodulation distortion. The problem I'm having is that the signal will actually cut out briefly. Somehow the trons stop flowing for a millisecond.

Hmmm, come to think of it, I wonder if this is somehow an impedance issue, since impedance is frequency dependent.
  • SUPPORTER

Who is John Galt?

PRR

You are just playing too hard. The simple transistor circuit will rectify large signals and de-bias itself.
  • SUPPORTER

Electron Tornado

Quote from: PRR on March 16, 2013, 09:56:15 PM
You are just playing too hard. The simple transistor circuit will rectify large signals and de-bias itself.

I don't think I'm playing particularly hard. I can turn the drive control down quite a bit and still have it cut out. The fact that the pedal is OK with an input cap of 0.01uf and cuts out with a 0.1uf cap sounds like a frequency dependent issue. Still a bit of a mystery to me.
  • SUPPORTER

Who is John Galt?