need tda7240 guitar amp schematic

Started by jogina111, September 14, 2012, 07:20:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jdansti

That doesn't sound too bad if it were in the US, but hopefully it didn't affect your budget too much.
  • SUPPORTER
R.G. Keene: EXPECT there to be errors, and defeat them...

jogina111

ok, I built the TG but  it sounded like an arriving ferry. It hums like a giant.. What could be wrong, Im sure the components are in correct places.

Jdansti

It could be your power supply. As a test, take the largest electrolytic cap you have and just hold it in your fingers and put the + lead on the +12v pad and the (-)lead on the negative pad and see if that helps. If it does, I'll tell you where you can solder it permanently.
  • SUPPORTER

jogina111

jogina111

it didnt helped a lot. The humming is still too loud and .. The 2200uf cap eases it like 10%

Jdansti

Can you temporarily hook the power up to a 12V car battery and see if the hum goes away?
  • SUPPORTER

jogina111

if a power supplx is noisy, could it be on the transformer or the filter? Im looking on building a power supply..

Jdansti

I'm not an expert on power supplies, but my guess is that you need more filtering.

The thing to watch out for, whether you add a filter to your current PSU, or you build one, is the TG could potentially draw 1-3 amps depending on the PSU voltage.  You need to make sure your caps, resistors, and diodes in your filter are rated properly to avoid frying them.

To reiterate what several of us have said, building a PSU from scratch is potentially a deadly act, especially for noobs. Hopefully someone can give you some guidance on filtering your factory-built PSU. It might be as simple as building a beefed up Huminator that can handle the current draw of the TG.
  • SUPPORTER

jogina111

I connected my guitar to the tg and the hum dissappeared and its really a good amp.. But when my guitar is removed, it hums loudly again...is that normal?

Jdansti

I believe that most amps hum when there isn't a complete circuit at the input (no instrument plugged in).  I know that my amps do.  This usually isn't a problem because there's no reason to crank up the amp when there's no instrument plugged in. ;)

Glad you got it going. Is it loud? :icon_eek:    If someone has told you to turn it down, it should be loud enough. :D
  • SUPPORTER

jogina111

yeah, its pretty loud...my brother and sister came shouting at me to turn it down...haha i thinks its done... I just need a better power supply and use some of the parts you  sent me to build an overdrive channel..

Jdansti

• SUPPORTER

jogina111

just cant decide on what to build next..

jogina111

just cant decide on what to build next..

Jdansti

• SUPPORTER

Jdansti

• SUPPORTER

jogina111

thats pretty complex...Im thinking of a booster, distortion, compressor and /or reverb.

jogina111

thats pretty complex...Im thinking of a booster, distortion, compressor and /or reverb.

Seljer

Quote from: Jdansti on October 25, 2012, 04:35:52 AM
I believe that most amps hum when there isn't a complete circuit at the input (no instrument plugged in).  I know that my amps do.  This usually isn't a problem because there's no reason to crank up the amp when there's no instrument plugged in. ;)

Glad you got it going. Is it loud? :icon_eek:    If someone has told you to turn it down, it should be loud enough. :D

Most commerical amps use switching jacks to ground the input if there isn't any 1/4" plug inserted (though the silence doesn't apply if a cable is plugged in without a gutiar at the other end)