Author Topic: Beginner project mods to reduce bass?  (Read 4233 times)

BobP

Beginner project mods to reduce bass?
« on: September 14, 2012, 04:20:22 PM »
I love my pedal but it is very muddy to my ears. Are there some component changes that would brighten it up?

aron

Re: Beginner project mods to reduce bass?
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2012, 04:39:45 PM »
Hmmm something's wrong. It should not affect the bass response. In fact, it should brighten up the pedal a bit.

Thecomedian

« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2012, 05:45:10 AM »
Is it a self made pedal? Are highs escaping to ground between guitar and Amp?
If I can solve the problem for someone else, I've learned valuable skill and information that pays me back for helping someone else.

Thecomedian

« Reply #3 on: December 25, 2012, 09:21:46 PM »
A good way to improve high end inside guitars themselves is to place a higher resistance Pot as volume control. for instance, 500k instead of 250, or even 1M. I imagine it might work like that for pedals too, if you have a spare pot of higher value you might try it.
If I can solve the problem for someone else, I've learned valuable skill and information that pays me back for helping someone else.

Thecomedian

« Reply #4 on: December 26, 2012, 11:38:42 PM »
Well I was looking at a fuzz pot article, and if you raise the decoupling caps, you can get more bass too, according to the article. however, it may not be just as simple as all that.

bass pedal http://www.muzique.com/schem/mole.gif

treble pedal http://www.muzique.com/schem/bird.gif

Note the caps. The reverse would be true. If you want less bass, lower caps.

The fuzz article also mentioned that apparently, for an output pot after the decoupling cap, A lower tone pot also lowers bass. Im not sure why, it sounds pretty opposite to a guitar inserted pot. Perhaps try both on a breadboard and see how the response is.
« Last Edit: December 26, 2012, 11:44:29 PM by Thecomedian »