Turkey Day SHOOTOUT Competition

Started by Govmnt_Lacky, September 15, 2012, 02:31:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ronan

I made a start today, made up a cardboard mockup of the enclosure, and bent up some sheet aluminum. The circuit will be a simpler variation of an existing mild dirt box. I hope it will sound ok. I sense impending disaster, but will continue on regardless, as I usually do  :)

deadastronaut

making your own alooooooominum box... :icon_eek: :icon_cool:
https://www.youtube.com/user/100roberthenry
https://deadastronaut.wixsite.com/effects

chasm reverb/tremshifter/faze filter/abductor II delay/timestream reverb/dreamtime delay/skinwalker hi gain dist/black triangle OD/ nano drums/space patrol fuzz//

haveyouseenhim

I've been wanting to make my own enclosure for a lil while now but i went to the hardware store today and a 12'' x 24'' sheet of diamond plate cost 36 USD :o
  • SUPPORTER
http://www.youtube.com/haveyouseenhim89

I'm sorry sir, we only have the regular ohms.

Ronan

Don't worry, I'm not a sheet metal person, its just a radio shack type of box, cause Jimi the Judge said no loss of points for radioshack type enclosures, didn't ya Jimi. My biggest concern is etching a pcb, I don't like etching pcb's, wondering if the judges will let my mate etch the pcb for me perhaps, but I reckon I would have to forego some judging points for that. Still, I might be able to make it up in other areas....maybe... :)

DA, yes, aloooominum, you are such a stirrer, are ya going to put something in for this one, I am guessing yes? With a brilliantly etched enclosure to boot too I would guess.

digi2t

Just a little tip for those of you itching to bend up your own enclosures, but have never done so. Please do a bit of research on calculating offset (AKA bend allowance) when bending sheet metal. As haveyouseenhim points out, aluminium can be rather pricey, and there is nothing more fustrating than bending a piece, only to find that you've come up over/under, and it doesn't fit. Simple little calculator may be found here; http://www.engineersedge.com/calculators/bend_allowance_pop.htm , there are several others available on the net. Learn to do the math... or buy lots of metal.

Also, for the more serious amoung you, may I recommend a pair of Cleco pliers (5 - 6 dollars);

and few Cleco's (about .40$ each for 3/32");

These are the cat's a$$ where assembly is concerned, allow one to drill small holes to temporarily assemble a structure, and hold it together tightly before/during drilling the final holes. For an enclosure, the smallest Cleco (3/32") would be fine, allowing you to easily drill and tap for a 10/32 screw. Allows one to fine tune the fit and finish of the enclosure before final drilling as well. They're great for doing bodywork as well, anywhere where sheetmetal assembly is involved really.

A little aviation application, for the common man  :icon_wink:.
  • SUPPORTER
Dead End FX
http://www.deadendfx.com/

Asian Icemen rise again...
http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=903467

"My ears don't distinguish good from great.  It's a blessing, really." EBK

Govmnt_Lacky

Ok folks, I guess there is a bit of a problem with comprehension and understanding of the rules.

If you have a questions about them, by all means please post your question. In the mean time, the rules are the rules. They are set up ( once again) to enable this competition to be accessable to everyone.

We do not feel that they are overly complex or as restrictive as people are commenting about. They are there to help keep things on an even keel.

Bottom line, if you want to enter and have questions about the rules or need them clarified.... don't be afraid to ask. Otherwise, don't slam a competition that is in place for the sole purpose of promoting creativity and offering prizes ( solely out of the pocket of the prize providers) there is no hidden agenda here and we just want people to enjoy the competition.

I hope that clears up what we are trying to do!!!  ;D

NOW... Let's get some entries and get some great builds going!!!  ;)
A Veteran is someone who, at one point in his or her life, wrote a blank check made payable to The United States of America
for an amount of 'up to and including my life.'

digi2t

Quote from: Govmnt_Lacky on September 18, 2012, 09:30:15 AM
Ok folks, I guess there is a bit of a problem with comprehension and understanding of the rules.

If you have a questions about them, by all means please post your question. In the mean time, the rules are the rules. They are set up ( once again) to enable this competition to be accessable to everyone.

We do not feel that they are overly complex or as restrictive as people are commenting about. They are there to help keep things on an even keel.

Bottom line, if you want to enter and have questions about the rules or need them clarified.... don't be afraid to ask. Otherwise, don't slam a competition that is in place for the sole purpose of promoting creativity and offering prizes ( solely out of the pocket of the prize providers) there is no hidden agenda here and we just want people to enjoy the competition.

I hope that clears up what we are trying to do!!!  ;D

NOW... Let's get some entries and get some great builds going!!!  ;)

AMEN!!  :icon_cool:
  • SUPPORTER
Dead End FX
http://www.deadendfx.com/

Asian Icemen rise again...
http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=903467

"My ears don't distinguish good from great.  It's a blessing, really." EBK

deadastronaut

Quote from: Ronan on September 18, 2012, 06:20:13 AM

DA, yes, aloooominum, you are such a stirrer, are ya going to put something in for this one, I am guessing yes? With a brilliantly etched enclosure to boot too I would guess.

;D ;)...if i ever get it off my breadboard i will.

@greg:  AMEN too.. ;)
https://www.youtube.com/user/100roberthenry
https://deadastronaut.wixsite.com/effects

chasm reverb/tremshifter/faze filter/abductor II delay/timestream reverb/dreamtime delay/skinwalker hi gain dist/black triangle OD/ nano drums/space patrol fuzz//

pinkjimiphoton

yes i did say simple enclosures are fine. but remember.,..aesthetics are still/always a part of the judgement.

the whole package...circuit, tone, appearance, mojo... those are all clues for we judges as to what's what.

that said, a friend etching a board isn't a big deal.

a commercial etching, however IS a big deal, so no, you can't use GGG/mammoth/guitarpcb/madbean/etc etc etc boards.

not this time out, sorry...and i mean no disrespect to any of the above mentioned vendors, who i do indeed buy boards from myself from time to time.

this is a DIY shootout.

as Greg and Dino have said, the rules are the rules.

instead of trying to pick them apart, and make our jobs harder, please work within the parameters provided.

if legitimate issues come up, by all means voice them to us so we can address them and try to find a fair solution within the rules of the game.

thanks guys...

now, c'mon, blow our minds...

i wanna see that vero'd synthi hi-flyer!!! ;) :icon_eek: :icon_eek: :icon_eek: :icon_eek: :icon_eek: :icon_eek: :icon_eek:
  • SUPPORTER
"When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace."
Slava Ukraini!
"try whacking the bejesus outta it and see if it works again"....
~Jack Darr

cloudscapes

no prefabbed boards makes it hard for those of us who want to use fine-pitch SMD and solder masks  :-[
the rule still applies if you're the one designing the board?
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
{DIY blog}
{www.dronecloud.org}

pinkjimiphoton

ALSO...

yesterday i built up the circuit board for the prize i will be giving, one point - to point fuzzface, the variant we call "the sterno face" here as it is created and tweaked
for local guitarist bob stern of the drivetime party band.

it will be an NPN silicon fuzzface, with true bypassing, higher output than normal (fuzz faces are generally slightly below unity gain) in a trusty rat shack box. it will accept normal center - wall warts.

• SUPPORTER
Slava Ukraini!
~Jack Darr

pinkjimiphoton

Quote from: cloudscapes on September 18, 2012, 11:17:51 AM
no prefabbed boards makes it hard for those of us who want to use fine-pitch SMD and solder masks  :-[
it was fine for the last one...

YOU NEED TO READ THE RULES. ;)

RULES:

1)   Builds do not need to be themed. Just good quality builds.
2)   NO pre-fabbed circuit boards allowed. Self-etched PCBs, Vero, or tag board only.
3)   Competition is open to hobby builders only. NO commercial or production builders.
4)   Multi-board builds MUST contribute an entry fee for EACH board. The ONLY exceptions to this are charge pumps, 3PDT boards, and millennium bypass circuits.
5)   Circuit layouts DO NOT have to be your own. You may use circuits that are already out there however, more consideration will be given to custom layouts. Bonus judging points given to those who provide their custom layouts WITH their submission. Builders who use a layout for their build MUST give credit to the original layout designer. (if known)
6)   Enclosures can be etched, painted, laser engraved, etc. More consideration will be given to more "creative" esthetic efforts. A "good" etch is not as good as a "great" paint job.
7)   Difficulty of the build as well as clean wiring will be judging criteria.
8]   This competition is for through-hole analog builds only. No DSP, SMD, or Tube builds. This makes the competition accessible and win-able to everyone!
9)   Entries WILL provide evidence of a WORKING pedal! Pictures and gut shots are MANDATORY! Must include a video of the pedal in action. Video submissions must show clean guitar through amp, followed by ONLY the built pedal (with NO delay, reverb, etc.) then followed by the built pedal with ANY other effect to make your build unique. We will be judging heavily on the finished product!!! This is your chance to make it stand out!! Be creative but, do it in the order stated please.
10)   Entries MUST BE completed builds. Incomplete or non-working builds will not be considered.
11)   This competition is for NEW or UNSEEN builds only! The whole idea behind this competition is to encourage creativity and to share ideas on the forum. Please do not enter other "competition winner" or previously entered or pictured builds. If you have a killer build that has not been revealed yet, then I guess it's your lucky day! Otherwise, please come up with something original for this competition.

smt/tubes etc are not valid entries. this is for thru-hole entries only.

this is NOT the last competition, and is designed to level the playing field for the beginners to have a chance too.

perhaps in another competition, but in this one, it clearly states in the rules, NO SMD.

did you read the rules?

and yes, no commercially produced boards. vero, perfboard, tagboard, or self etched are fine.  a friend etching for you will be fine.

commercially etched boards will not be accepted, and if we find someone using prohibited parts, they will be disqualified from this competition.

THESE ARE THE RULES, IF YOU CANNOT WORK WITHIN THE PROVIDED PARAMETERS, PLEASE DO NOT ENTER THE CONTEST.
  • SUPPORTER
Slava Ukraini!
~Jack Darr

Jdansti

Quote from: pinkjimiphoton on September 18, 2012, 11:25:44 AM
Quote from: cloudscapes on September 18, 2012, 11:17:51 AM
it was fine for the last one...

YOU NEED TO READ THE RULES. ;)

RULES:

1)   Builds do not need to be themed. Just good quality builds.
2)   NO pre-fabbed circuit boards allowed. Self-etched PCBs, Vero, or tag board only.
3)   Competition is open to hobby builders only. NO commercial or production builders.
4)   Multi-board builds MUST contribute an entry fee for EACH board. The ONLY exceptions to this are charge pumps, 3PDT boards, and millennium bypass circuits.
5)   Circuit layouts DO NOT have to be your own. You may use circuits that are already out there however, more consideration will be given to custom layouts. Bonus judging points given to those who provide their custom layouts WITH their submission. Builders who use a layout for their build MUST give credit to the original layout designer. (if known)
6)   Enclosures can be etched, painted, laser engraved, etc. More consideration will be given to more "creative" esthetic efforts. A "good" etch is not as good as a "great" paint job.
7)   Difficulty of the build as well as clean wiring will be judging criteria.
8]   This competition is for through-hole analog builds only. No DSP, SMD, or Tube builds. This makes the competition accessible and win-able to everyone!
9)   Entries WILL provide evidence of a WORKING pedal! Pictures and gut shots are MANDATORY! Must include a video of the pedal in action. Video submissions must show clean guitar through amp, followed by ONLY the built pedal (with NO delay, reverb, etc.) then followed by the built pedal with ANY other effect to make your build unique. We will be judging heavily on the finished product!!! This is your chance to make it stand out!! Be creative but, do it in the order stated please.
10)   Entries MUST BE completed builds. Incomplete or non-working builds will not be considered.
11)   This competition is for NEW or UNSEEN builds only! The whole idea behind this competition is to encourage creativity and to share ideas on the forum. Please do not enter other "competition winner" or previously entered or pictured builds. If you have a killer build that has not been revealed yet, then I guess it's your lucky day! Otherwise, please come up with something original for this competition.

smt/tubes etc are not valid entries. this is for thru-hole entries only.

this is NOT the last competition, and is designed to level the playing field for the beginners to have a chance too.

perhaps in another competition, but in this one, it clearly states in the rules, NO SMD.

did you read the rules?

and yes, no commercially produced boards. vero, perfboard, tagboard, or self etched are fine.  a friend etching for you will be fine.

commercially etched boards will not be accepted, and if we find someone using prohibited parts, they will be disqualified from this competition.

THESE ARE THE RULES, IF YOU CANNOT WORK WITHIN THE PROVIDED PARAMETERS, PLEASE DO NOT ENTER THE CONTEST.

So I can enter a prefabbed SMD board if I'm a commercial builder and as long as its all digital? Will I be disqualified if I use through hole? ???  ;D

Are you still having fun, judges???  ;D
  • SUPPORTER
R.G. Keene: EXPECT there to be errors, and defeat them...

Jdansti

Quote from: pinkjimiphoton on September 18, 2012, 11:21:31 AM
ALSO...

yesterday i built up the circuit board for the prize i will be giving, one point - to point fuzzface, the variant we call "the sterno face" here as it is created and tweaked

it will be an NPN silicon fuzzface, with true bypassing, higher output than normal (fuzz faces are generally slightly below unity gain) in a trusty rat shack box. it will accept normal center - wall warts.

Are the toe nail clippings part of the prize? 
  • SUPPORTER

pinkjimiphoton

no, you can't, you will lose. ;)

are you having fun? ;)

by all means tho, feel free to submit your smd/tube/digital hybrid on a commercial board...after you submit your entry fee.
:icon_twisted:
  • SUPPORTER
Slava Ukraini!
~Jack Darr

pinkjimiphoton

Quote from: Jdansti on September 18, 2012, 11:38:34 AM
Quote from: pinkjimiphoton on September 18, 2012, 11:21:31 AM
ALSO...

Are the toe nail clippings part of the prize? 

only if you want 'em, jdantsi!!

:icon_mrgreen:
  • SUPPORTER
Slava Ukraini!
~Jack Darr

garcho

• SUPPORTER
"...and weird on top!"

Jdansti

• SUPPORTER

pinkjimiphoton

i don't recommend the gum that comes from the dispensers in the men's room at the bar, it tastes like rubber... :icon_twisted:
  • SUPPORTER
Slava Ukraini!
~Jack Darr

haveyouseenhim

I was at the gas station yesterday and in the bathroom it said don't buy the trojan gum, it taste like rubber.
  • SUPPORTER
http://www.youtube.com/haveyouseenhim89

I'm sorry sir, we only have the regular ohms.