Turkey Day SHOOTOUT Competition

Started by Govmnt_Lacky, September 15, 2012, 02:31:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Govmnt_Lacky

Quote from: oldschoolanalog on September 26, 2012, 11:20:36 AM
Just a quick Q/note. Lets hypothetically say one  ::) were to make something similar to a Roland AP7 Jet Phaser. This is one effect however is two distinctly different circuits. All on one board. The distortion part and the phaser part. Now, while it cannot be used as a stand alone distortion, there are modes for just clean phaser as well as dist + phase. Two very different sounding f/x in one unit. This is a bit of a "grey area". Is this considered two circuits or one? One or two entry fees?  :icon_confused:

Hey Dave,

I will tell you this (and other judges... feel free to add or subtract from this)

What you are describing to ME is no different from someone entering anything from a TS with switchable clipping options -OR- even a Shin-Ei Fuzz/Wah clone.

Bottom Line = ALL ON ONE BOARD IS GOOD FOR ME!

Of course, if the judges MAJORITY decision is the other way, then what I just said is POOP!!!  ::)
A Veteran is someone who, at one point in his or her life, wrote a blank check made payable to The United States of America
for an amount of 'up to and including my life.'

Jdansti

Quote from: Govmnt_Lacky on September 26, 2012, 07:47:58 AM
Quote from: Jdansti on September 26, 2012, 01:28:33 AM
I want it!  What is it?

Custom Digitech XP ALL. The power of an XP100, XP200, XP300  :icon_eek:, and XP400 all in one pedal! AND...... you dont need to unplug it to switch programs  ;D

Hopefully... someone will get to win it!!!

STILL NEED MORE ENTRIES INTO THE COMPETITION!!!  :icon_mrgreen:
Dont hesitate any longer.... get in the game for a chance to win these lovely prizes!!!

I want it more now!   :D

Since we've had some new prizes added to the pot, I wonder if it might help get more conestants if you could combine all of the prizes on one post.  Use photos where available. Maybe repeat the prize pot post (say that five times fast!) every other day or so to advertise it.
  • SUPPORTER
R.G. Keene: EXPECT there to be errors, and defeat them...

digi2t

Quote from: Govmnt_Lacky on September 26, 2012, 11:27:10 AM
Quote from: oldschoolanalog on September 26, 2012, 11:20:36 AM
Just a quick Q/note. Lets hypothetically say one  ::) were to make something similar to a Roland AP7 Jet Phaser. This is one effect however is two distinctly different circuits. All on one board. The distortion part and the phaser part. Now, while it cannot be used as a stand alone distortion, there are modes for just clean phaser as well as dist + phase. Two very different sounding f/x in one unit. This is a bit of a "grey area". Is this considered two circuits or one? One or two entry fees?  :icon_confused:

Hey Dave,

I will tell you this (and other judges... feel free to add or subtract from this)

What you are describing to ME is no different from someone entering anything from a TS with switchable clipping options -OR- even a Shin-Ei Fuzz/Wah clone.

Bottom Line = ALL ON ONE BOARD IS GOOD FOR ME!

Of course, if the judges MAJORITY decision is the other way, then what I just said is POOP!!!  ::)

Dave,

You've brought up a valid point. In my opinion, the AP-7 is one effect. I understand your concern, seeing as how it combines different elements, but in this case, as Greg says, it's one effect.

Rule 4 states;
"4)   Multi-board builds MUST contribute an entry fee for EACH board. The ONLY exceptions to this are charge pumps, 3PDT boards, and millennium bypass circuits."

But, if memory serves me correctly, didn't the AP series pedals also incorporated a noise gate of sorts on a seperate board? If that's the case, then I personally would have to go out on a limb here, and make the following judgement concerning the AP7 (and others, read further on);

If you build an AP7, as per the original factory layout, then I would accept the second board. Since the original configuration is such, then I would lump it into the charge pump, 3pdt board, mill BP, category.
Another good example is the Gemini III dual fuzz, where the circuit is comprised of two boards, piggybacked. Again, if one wishes to emulate the two board setup, it still counts as one effect.

I would apply this exception to any analog effect that was originally produced by the manufacturer as such (like the AP7, or Gemini III), and the burden of proof rests with the entrant.

Just don't try selling us a fuzz circuit, and a delay, on two seperate boards, in one housing, as one effect. That won't fly, unless you can prove that it's a clone of a commercially available pedal (present or past) that has already existed in such a configuration. I reiterate, proof of such must be provided, or else we will insist on a fee per board.

That's my POV on the issue. If Jimi and Greg concur, then that should settle this issue.

Dino
  • SUPPORTER
Dead End FX
http://www.deadendfx.com/

Asian Icemen rise again...
http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=903467

"My ears don't distinguish good from great.  It's a blessing, really." EBK

oldschoolanalog

Mystery lounge. No tables, chairs or waiters here. In fact, we're all quite alone.

garcho

• SUPPORTER
"...and weird on top!"

Govmnt_Lacky

Quote from: digi2t on September 26, 2012, 12:17:20 PM
That's my POV on the issue. If Jimi and Greg concur, then that should settle this issue.

I agree!  ;D

Now, can we get some more entries and get this competition started?  ::)

Quote from: garcho on September 26, 2012, 01:21:53 PM
what about if i use wires?

Kind of a vague question.

Details?
A Veteran is someone who, at one point in his or her life, wrote a blank check made payable to The United States of America
for an amount of 'up to and including my life.'

oldschoolanalog

Quote from: garcho on September 26, 2012, 01:21:53 PM
what about if i use wires?
WTF? Lord have mercy, please tell me that's sarcasm...  :icon_eek:
Mystery lounge. No tables, chairs or waiters here. In fact, we're all quite alone.

pinkjimiphoton

hi dave...under MY interpretation as set forth (poot forth? ) by my brother judges and myself, if it is ONE CIRCUIT...ie the entire thing takes two boards, that's one thing... if it's TWO circuits, individual circuits to be combined into one pedal, that's different.

in the first circumstance, i would personally consider it to be one circuit.... in the latter, two.

i must defer to the decision of my brothers on this one. your question isn't about combining two effects, it's about reinterpreting ONE effect, if i read this right.

greg? dino?

dang, i knew i shouldn't have become a judge...i want that xpALL...lol

i gotta save the point-to - point ludwig on a 16 foot 2x4 with a home-made rocker treadle for another comp... WAAAAAHHH!!!! :'( :'( :'(
  • SUPPORTER
"When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace."
Slava Ukraini!
"try whacking the bejesus outta it and see if it works again"....
~Jack Darr

digi2t

Quotei must defer to the decision of my brothers on this one. your question isn't about combining two effects, it's about reinterpreting ONE effect, if i read this right.

That is correct brother Jimi.   :icon_mrgreen:

Quotedang, i knew i shouldn't have become a judge...i want that xpALL...lol

As we say in baseball... there's always next year.

Quotegotta save the point-to - point ludwig on a 16 foot 2x4 with a home-made rocker treadle for another comp... WAAAAAHHH!!!!

For our metric friends (Pelle included), translation;
" gotta save the point-to - point ludwig on a 4.9 meter, 48mm by 98mm, with a home-made rocker treadle for another comp... WAAAAAHHH!!!! "
  • SUPPORTER
Dead End FX
http://www.deadendfx.com/

Asian Icemen rise again...
http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=903467

"My ears don't distinguish good from great.  It's a blessing, really." EBK

pinkjimiphoton

lmffaorotff!!

yep...what dino said.

no worries...

i am sending greg my xp200...today.

it will get gender re-assignment surgery, and emerge like lee majors in the 6 million dollar man..
  • SUPPORTER
Slava Ukraini!
~Jack Darr

pinkjimiphoton

no garcho, wires not allowed. :icon_eek:

:icon_evil:

sarcasm.

:icon_mrgreen:

but only PURPLE wires...and ones with orange stripes. yah. i like stripes..
  • SUPPORTER
Slava Ukraini!
~Jack Darr

oldschoolanalog

My prize contribution. Here ya go. First, couldn't find my box of opto stuff anywhere in my quagmire apartment, so I subbed a few things.
Left to right: TL072, MN3007, MN3101, V3205, V3102. 2N5952 below. What you see is what you get. Not too shabby a package for you delay & modulation fans, IMHO.
Good luck to all!

Only ten bucks to enter folks. And this isn't even one of the better prizes!

pinkjimiphoton

dave,
:icon_eek:
that's an awesome prize, and enough to build a couple really cool boxes!  :icon_mrgreen:
  • SUPPORTER
Slava Ukraini!
~Jack Darr

garcho

Sorry, I was just riffin' on the point to point joking and the badgering with the sarcastic wire question. All I know is, I'm naming my contest entry Tryptophan. Don't know what it is yet, but that's what it's gonna be called. Any ideas? I thought a multi-FX unit with a lot of DSP stuff would be good. JUST KIDDING! Slow Gear rip-off?
  • SUPPORTER
"...and weird on top!"

pinkjimiphoton

all good. i survived the HCEF days, so... :icon_mrgreen:
  • SUPPORTER
Slava Ukraini!
~Jack Darr

garcho

• SUPPORTER
"...and weird on top!"

pinkjimiphoton

don't let ME stop ya bro, we need to rock out with our ...ummm...we need to have fun around here once in a while, take off our propellor beanies and kick our heels up... :icon_redface:

but seriously...point to point is fine, but no wires. neatness counts. :icon_eek:

:icon_mrgreen:
  • SUPPORTER
Slava Ukraini!
~Jack Darr

Jdansti

• SUPPORTER
R.G. Keene: EXPECT there to be errors, and defeat them...

pinkjimiphoton

• SUPPORTER
Slava Ukraini!
~Jack Darr

haveyouseenhim

• SUPPORTER
http://www.youtube.com/haveyouseenhim89

I'm sorry sir, we only have the regular ohms.