Turkey Day SHOOTOUT Competition

Started by Govmnt_Lacky, September 15, 2012, 02:31:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LucifersTrip

Quote from: Govmnt_Lacky on October 04, 2012, 09:10:36 PM
Quote from: Mustachio on October 04, 2012, 08:58:09 PM
Ok I'm In now and paid.  :icon_biggrin:

I was reading thru the rules, I have a question. I was thinking about adding in a separate board for LED's will that cost me another 10 bucks ? It wont be another audio circuit just for visual so is that ok ?

Yes. You only need to pay 1 fee.

If it is not effecting the audio path then you are ok.

what if the LEDs are used for clipping...and they are the only thing on the board.
always think outside the box

oldschoolanalog

Glad I'm not one of the judges or rule deciders!   :icon_lol: :icon_lol: :icon_lol:
Mystery lounge. No tables, chairs or waiters here. In fact, we're all quite alone.

Mustachio

Haha ! For a great low rate you can get online!

Yup its not audio just visual. :D
"Hhhhhhhnnnnnnnnnnnnngggggggg"

haveyouseenhim

LOL   not the general :icon_lol:... This guy.

• SUPPORTER
http://www.youtube.com/haveyouseenhim89

I'm sorry sir, we only have the regular ohms.

Mustachio

"Hhhhhhhnnnnnnnnnnnnngggggggg"

Govmnt_Lacky

Quote from: LucifersTrip on October 04, 2012, 09:48:30 PM
Quote from: Govmnt_Lacky on October 04, 2012, 09:10:36 PM
Quote from: Mustachio on October 04, 2012, 08:58:09 PM
Ok I'm In now and paid.  :icon_biggrin:

I was reading thru the rules, I have a question. I was thinking about adding in a separate board for LED's will that cost me another 10 bucks ? It wont be another audio circuit just for visual so is that ok ?

Yes. You only need to pay 1 fee.

If it is not effecting the audio path then you are ok.

what if the LEDs are used for clipping...and they are the only thing on the board.

WOW!!

If some people put half the effort into an entry build as they did trying to figure out some obscure way to be pseudo-funny about the wording of the rules. This would be one hell of a competition!!  :icon_rolleyes:

In the desperate hopes that you are actually serious about your question...

If you decide that you have to implement SO MANY clipping options that you need to include a separate board just for em, then I am sure it will be ok with the judges.
A Veteran is someone who, at one point in his or her life, wrote a blank check made payable to The United States of America
for an amount of 'up to and including my life.'

digi2t

QuoteIf some people put half the effort into an entry build as they did trying to figure out some obscure way to be pseudo-funny about the wording of the rules. This would be one hell of a competition!! 

[Big sigh]... So much misguided energy... so little time. I wrote a whole big rant, only to delete it all when I was finished. Sober second thought I guess.

No, board containing only LED(s), whatever their purpose, is no extra fee.

Can't someone just slip on a banana peel anymore? It's a lot funnier.  :icon_rolleyes:
  • SUPPORTER
Dead End FX
http://www.deadendfx.com/

Asian Icemen rise again...
http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=903467

"My ears don't distinguish good from great.  It's a blessing, really." EBK

Jdansti

Quote from: digi2t on October 05, 2012, 10:30:30 AM

Can't someone just slip on a banana peel anymore? It's a lot funnier.  :icon_rolleyes:

Didn't have a banana slip for ya, but here's a pleasant video of a spine bent in the wrong direction.   :-\

EDIT:
Dang-No embedding. :(. Here's the URL: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6ZhMfzc9RbU&sns=em

Well, here's a replacement accident video.

• SUPPORTER
R.G. Keene: EXPECT there to be errors, and defeat them...

digi2t

Yup...  :icon_lol:

There's one for the ages; "Once you lock it, it's OK."

An all purpose catch phrase.  :icon_lol: Thanks for that one!
  • SUPPORTER
Dead End FX

garcho

Wow! What a buffoon! I just did a wax cylinder recording demonstration at the Edison museum this last summer. In doing my homework before, I found amazingly suggestive 'handling' technique instructions. Thought yous guys would appreciate it.
  • SUPPORTER
"...and weird on top!"

digi2t

Quote from: garcho on October 05, 2012, 01:30:17 PM
Wow! What a buffoon! I just did a wax cylinder recording demonstration at the Edison museum this last summer. In doing my homework before, I found amazingly suggestive 'handling' technique. Thought yous guys would appreciate it.

Once you lock it, it's OK!
:icon_mrgreen:
  • SUPPORTER
Dead End FX

garcho

• SUPPORTER
"...and weird on top!"

midwayfair

Hey, contest leaders, serious request:

A current, up-to-date post with the clarified rules and prizes in one place, with post number references to further clarifications. I've been spreading the word elsewhere and some people were turned off by some missing information in the original post (like the lack of perfboard being among the). I know that the forum software here makes it difficult to edit older posts.

I also wanted to say ... using Eagle has become a pretty major skill among the DIY-er community. It saddens me that I might not see some of my favorite designers/fellow hacks enter because they can't use a fabbed board that they created the layout for. I'm not asking for a rule to be changed at this stage (though you might get some more entries if you do ...), I'm just suggesting that future contests may want to take that development into consideration. I feel it's a little like DIYLC making it possible for me to do kind of complicated perf builds.
My band, Midway Fair: www.midwayfair.org. Myself's music and things I make: www.jonpattonmusic.com. DIY pedal demos: www.youtube.com/jonspatton. PCBs of my Bearhug Compressor and Cardinal Harmonic Tremolo are available from http://www.1776effects.com!

Govmnt_Lacky

Quote from: midwayfair on October 05, 2012, 01:53:58 PM
A current, up-to-date post with the clarified rules and prizes in one place, with post number references to further clarifications. I've been spreading the word elsewhere and some people were turned off by some missing information in the original post (like the lack of perfboard being among the). I know that the forum software here makes it difficult to edit older posts.

I find it very funny that none of these requests, rule clarifications, or the likes were ever mentioned in any other competition held on this forum.  ::) I am starting to realize why the competitons are few and far between!

The bottom line is this...

I have a full time job, part time job, wife, 3 kids, bills, house to take care of, and a multitude of other tasks that need to be done which ALL rank a bit higher than monitoring this competition. I am quite sure that the other judges are in the same situation as well. We all got together to put on this competition to benefit the forum, and its members. I truely feel that we (judges, aron, etc.) have gone more than out of our way to clarify rules, add prizes, and just make this as good of a competition as possible with little to no benefit to OURSELVES.

So.... in saying that, my response to this is that if people are interested in winning any of these prizes, then they can take the 10 minutes or so.... grab a pen and paper.... and read the whole thread. ALL of the pertinent info is here.

I also wanted to say ... using Eagle has become a pretty major skill among the DIY-er community. It saddens me that I might not see some of my favorite designers/fellow hacks enter because they can't use a fabbed board that they created the layout for. I'm not asking for a rule to be changed at this stage (though you might get some more entries if you do ...), I'm just suggesting that future contests may want to take that development into consideration. I feel it's a little like DIYLC making it possible for me to do kind of complicated perf builds.

I understand your position on this however, for this competition there are NO pre-fabbed boards allowed. We do however give bonus points to those who contribute an original layout!  ;D

If your fellow hacks need a board etched... tell them to PM me and I will be more than happy to do it for a small fee of course!  ;)
A Veteran is someone who, at one point in his or her life, wrote a blank check made payable to The United States of America
for an amount of 'up to and including my life.'

midwayfair

I'm sorry, I didn't mean to sound disrespectful of your time. I'll be happy to do it myself and pm the updated list for posting if you're okay with that.

Also, maybe I was being unclear, but regarding fabbed boards: I meant a situation where a guy designs a layout just for his contest pedal, then gets it made by Dokbot just for the contest, not just uses a board that he had made in the past and used. I understand the point and can understand why it might require policing or whatevs.

p.s. one of the rules is self-etched only, so contest winners, don't bribe da lackey. :P
My band, Midway Fair: www.midwayfair.org. Myself's music and things I make: www.jonpattonmusic.com. DIY pedal demos: www.youtube.com/jonspatton. PCBs of my Bearhug Compressor and Cardinal Harmonic Tremolo are available from http://www.1776effects.com!

garcho

dropped 20 bucks at the bar last night. just sayin'.
  • SUPPORTER
"...and weird on top!"

Jdansti

@Jon:  I appreciate your comments and concerns.  You probably already know the following, but I'll go ahead and say it for everyone's consumption. The way I look at this contest is it's a little like a card game. The dealer calls the rules for the hand he's dealing. You know, jokers and one-eyed jacks are wild, etc. This contest is being run and judged by three guys who had a certain vision for the rules of THIS contest. Now, if there are others who would like to have a contest that has different rules, then they might want to get together and start another contest that is more in line with their interests.  I think it would be great to have multiple contests going on where each one has different rules. Some contests would tailored toward more simple projects like this one, and others might have rules that would require a much higher level of knowledge and expertise. Personally, I would have no problem with a contest that was all digital, or all etched PCB (from any source), or all vero, or all perf, or anything goes but the enclosure must be etched. I wouldn't do a digital project or etched enclosure project at this point in my pedal building "career", but that's OK. I would just skip the contests that don't interest me.
  • SUPPORTER

Perrow

Quote from: Jdansti on October 05, 2012, 05:17:17 PM
... and others might have rules that would require a much higher level of knowledge and expertise.

No. I mean this contest have quite straight forward rules and we've had page after page of questions about the rules. Imagine a competition with a complex rule set, it'd take down the forum   :icon_eek:

That said, I have a question about the rules...

:icon_rolleyes:
My stompbox wiki -> http://rumbust.net

Keep this site live and ad free, donate a dollar or twenty (and add this link to your sig)

Jdansti

Quote from: Perrow on October 05, 2012, 05:33:45 PM
Quote from: Jdansti on October 05, 2012, 05:17:17 PM
... and others might have rules that would require a much higher level of knowledge and expertise.

No. I mean this contest have quite straight forward rules and we've had page after page of questions about the rules. Imagine a competition with a complex rule set, it'd take down the forum   :icon_eek:

That said, I have a question about the rules...

:icon_rolleyes:

No!!!  Sorry I wasn't clear. I meant more complex/harder builds- not more complex rules!

• SUPPORTER

LucifersTrip

you wanna know why there are so many questions?  because of one single rule that is not too common: $10 per board.

people simply don't know how much to pay when their project skirts the rules...
always think outside the box