Turkey Day SHOOTOUT Competition

Started by Govmnt_Lacky, September 15, 2012, 02:31:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Govmnt_Lacky

Quote from: LucifersTrip on October 05, 2012, 06:39:29 PM
you wanna know why there are so many questions?  because of one single rule that is not too common: $10 per board.

people simply don't know how much to pay when their project skirts the rules...

Not too common huh??

Far as I know... the last 2 competitions were at the expense of $10 per entry. Also, in both competitions, there were people that entered something as simple as a fuzz circuit ( wouldn't you fall under that Lucifer?) and other submitted like 4 or 5 separate circuits in one enclosure. This rule was put here to prevent that from happening again. We wanted it as level as possible for everyone ( how many times do we need to say that?!) we want to see everyone's best effort for 1 circuit. Sounds simple enough.

As for your other point.... The simple answer is this:

DON'T SKIRT THE RULES!!! If you have a question about your submission, PM one of the judges and they will make a decision on it.

If that wasn't clear before, now it should be.  ;D
A Veteran is someone who, at one point in his or her life, wrote a blank check made payable to The United States of America
for an amount of 'up to and including my life.'

Ronan

I had a look through the thread on rule clarifications and came up with this doc:

Rule clarifications - click here

Govmnt_Lacky

Quote from: Ronan on October 05, 2012, 10:01:22 PM
I had a look through the thread on rule clarifications and came up with this doc:

Rule clarifications - click here

Thanks for this Ian  ;D
A Veteran is someone who, at one point in his or her life, wrote a blank check made payable to The United States of America

oldschoolanalog

For a bunch of what I bet are going to be mostly fuzz & filter pedals entered there sure is a lot of nit picking. If it gets to the required 15 entries I bet 4; maybe 5 TOPS won't be dirt boxes or filter-y whatever.
Geez guys.  :P
Popcorn Time!!!  ;D

Re: Clipping diodes: Solder them to the switch and be done with it.
Mystery lounge. No tables, chairs or waiters here. In fact, we're all quite alone.

garcho

Aw man, you knockin' my Fuzz Filter already? I haven't even made it yet! :)

Don't filters and dirtiers make up at least 66% of pedals anyway?
  • SUPPORTER
"...and weird on top!"

oldschoolanalog

Quote from: garcho on October 05, 2012, 10:26:28 PM
Aw man, you knockin' my Fuzz Filter already? I haven't even made it yet! :)
Not knockin' anything. Except my head against the wall. I love well filtered dirt as much as the next guy.  :icon_cool:
QuoteDon't filters and dirtiers make up at least 66% of pedals anyway?
Probably more. LOL!  I just threw that out there to shake things up a bit...
Really; if it sounds good. It's probably gonna' be good. Like I said; just shakin' it up a bit and having some fun...
Mystery lounge. No tables, chairs or waiters here. In fact, we're all quite alone.

midwayfair

My band, Midway Fair: www.midwayfair.org. Myself's music and things I make: www.jonpattonmusic.com. DIY pedal demos: www.youtube.com/jonspatton. PCBs of my Bearhug Compressor and Cardinal Harmonic Tremolo are available from http://www.1776effects.com!

LucifersTrip

Quote from: Govmnt_Lacky on October 05, 2012, 07:02:17 PM
Quote from: LucifersTrip on October 05, 2012, 06:39:29 PM
you wanna know why there are so many questions?  because of one single rule that is not too common: $10 per board.

people simply don't know how much to pay when their project skirts the rules...

Not too common huh??

Far as I know... the last 2 competitions were at the expense of $10 per entry

That's correct...not per board. Don't get me wrong. I think the rule's very cool to even it out. I'm just pointing out the reason for the majority of the questions...

Also, in both competitions, there were people that entered something as simple as a fuzz circuit ( wouldn't you fall under that Lucifer?)

I don't know...I actually used the crucifix as an external second "board' with transistors and led mounted in it.  "Simple" is also misleading. I built an obscure fuzz that was hardly built by anyone on the board so there were no build reports, I heavily modded it and built it on an original perf layout. It would've been far simpler to purchase a PCB of a more complicated circuit & paint-by-numbers. I could do that in my sleep. That's why you're "no pcb" rule is great. It actually makes it harder...

The simple answer is this:
DON'T SKIRT THE RULES!!!

If you think about it, that's almost the same thing as saying DON'T BE CREATIVE. A large part of DIY is to push things to the boundary and create pieces of visual and sound art not seen and/or heard before. You can be rest assured that my entry will skirt the rules.

I've only checked this thread rarely...near the beginning to ask when the deadline was for entering and yesterday to ask a simple question. Now that I skimmed thru the rest of the thread, I see that the promoters were slowly coming to a boil with the clarifications.
always think outside the box

digi2t

Quotethru the rest of the thread, I see that the promoters were slowly coming to a boil with the clarifications.

I can only speak for Jimi and myself. We've got kids. Teenagers actually, so trust us, the "nit-pickers" are still a LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOONG way off from our boiling point. Yup, long way off. With teenagers, "clarifications" are a way of life. Several times a day.

I think it should be a prerequisite for being a sponsor/judge of one of these adven, er... contests.  :icon_lol:
  • SUPPORTER
Dead End FX
http://www.deadendfx.com/

Asian Icemen rise again...
http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=903467

"My ears don't distinguish good from great.  It's a blessing, really." EBK

Jdansti

Quote from: digi2t on October 06, 2012, 09:45:23 AM
Quotethru the rest of the thread, I see that the promoters were slowly coming to a boil with the clarifications.

I can only speak for Jimi and myself. We've got kids. Teenagers actually, so trust us, the "nit-pickers" are still a LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOONG way off from our boiling point. Yup, long way off. With teenagers, "clarifications" are a way of life. Several times a day.

I think it should be a prerequisite for being a sponsor/judge of one of these adven, er... contests.  :icon_lol:

...but Mom said I could use SMD...  ;)
  • SUPPORTER
R.G. Keene: EXPECT there to be errors, and defeat them...

oldschoolanalog

Quote from: Jdansti on October 06, 2012, 02:10:32 PM...but Mom said I could...
Often heard by Dads everywhere....
To that we reply:
"I'm NOT your Mother!"

aron

garcho

• SUPPORTER
"...and weird on top!"

haveyouseenhim

Quote from: haveyouseenhim on September 27, 2012, 09:04:39 PM
Ive been thinking about doing a point to point and casting it in a block of resin. I better get it right because there's going to be no repairing it :icon_eek:

Someone beat me to it  :icon_mad:

EDIT     I searched and found this:  http://runawaybrainz.blogspot.com/2012/04/audio-crystal-cmoy-freeform-headphone.html
  • SUPPORTER
http://www.youtube.com/haveyouseenhim89

I'm sorry sir, we only have the regular ohms.

Perrow

Quote from: haveyouseenhim on October 08, 2012, 12:08:06 AM

A build like that has been on my to-do-list for a while now, I doubt mine will look that nice though  :(
My stompbox wiki -> http://rumbust.net

Keep this site live and ad free, donate a dollar or twenty (and add this link to your sig)

tuckster

• SUPPORTER

Perrow

My stompbox wiki -> http://rumbust.net

Keep this site live and ad free, donate a dollar or twenty (and add this link to your sig)

Govmnt_Lacky

Quote from: tuckster on October 08, 2012, 07:05:00 AM
Quote from: aron on October 07, 2012, 03:43:33 PM
13 entries.
Am I allowed to post my stuff? :'(

Although it was stated in the initial post that entries could be posted anytime, I would advise holding off until at least the 19th of October. That will be the day that we know that competition will be continuing.

tuckster

Ok...
How am I suppose to play and turn the knobs? I used a looper in front of the pedal...
And I just noticed that I have reverb on the video (stupid me filmed the amp knobs) but there is no fx on the mp3. Is this ok?
RULE 9 CLARIFICATION: "We don't care WHO demos your build. As long as it is in the manner stated above and you let us know it's your build."  WHO is a looper? :D
  • SUPPORTER

slacker