Turkey Day SHOOTOUT Competition

Started by Govmnt_Lacky, September 15, 2012, 02:31:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

haveyouseenhim

• SUPPORTER
http://www.youtube.com/haveyouseenhim89

I'm sorry sir, we only have the regular ohms.

pinkjimiphoton

not an added rule, we can't add rules once the show's begun, this ain't american politics...  :icon_eek: :icon_evil: :icon_twisted: :icon_twisted: :icon_mrgreen:
  • SUPPORTER
"When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace."
Slava Ukraini!
"try whacking the bejesus outta it and see if it works again"....
~Jack Darr

garcho

American politics:

"I'm telling you, PIO is the only way to go. Nothing after `52."   "Fine, but without NOS Soviet-made gold connectors for your OS/360, why bother?"
  • SUPPORTER
"...and weird on top!"

pinkjimiphoton

my head hurts.

my tummy hurts.

and politicians make my butt hurt.

nuff said,....onwards and upwards...

i like glastnost.

i love cheap russian germanium!! ;)
  • SUPPORTER
"When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace."
Slava Ukraini!
"try whacking the bejesus outta it and see if it works again"....
~Jack Darr

oldschoolanalog

Still only 13 entries?  :icon_confused:
One more and you have a contest.  ;)
And more than half those entered will win something.  :o

And yes, my math is spot on.
Mystery lounge. No tables, chairs or waiters here. In fact, we're all quite alone.

Jdansti

We need two more don't we?

Does the 13 include those who have purchase additional entries?  For example, I paid $20, so that counts as 2 of the 13 entries, correct?
  • SUPPORTER
R.G. Keene: EXPECT there to be errors, and defeat them...

oldschoolanalog

Okay. Here goes. If we reach the last hour for entries and still only have 14 I will put up the last 10 bux so this happens.
And enter nothing.
My way of giving something back to The Forum and all the good folks I have learned so much from.
And probably because I'm a total moron too.  :P
Whatever. I really want to help make this happen...
Mystery lounge. No tables, chairs or waiters here. In fact, we're all quite alone.

Ronan

Very nice of you to offer that Dave.

death metal distortion, constipated delay, I got a good laugh out of that  :D

Regarding the braille fuzz pcb, here's the story. Having no access to a laser printer to do a toner transfer for my mate to etch, I went back to my old methods. I marked the holes in the pcb with some PC-drawn artwork (that would have been the toner transfer artwork).

Then I tried to draw some pads on top of the marked holes.

Next up I drew in the tracks with the dalo pen, using the artwork as a guide. The pen has a big tip making it really difficult and ugly. I found some remains of some FeCl hidden in the bathroom cupboard, made up a mix and etched.

I since read that a sharpie works well as an etch-resistant pen, and with a fine tip, it wouldn't be too hard to do a reasonably tidy job. Drilled the holes, mounted the components and it works fine. Unfortunately, on the artwork, I left out a couple of components that I thought I would not need, but I was wrong. I had to drill some more holes and squeeze in the extra parts...

I've basically finished the box but having trouble deciding on artwork/paint/finishing scheme. I polished the top to a mirror finish, sprayed it with clear acrylic and lost the shine. Applied inkjet waterslide and the black faded to dark grey with a mottled finish. Got the paint stripper out and took it back to bare metal and alodined it. Maybe I'll just leave it as is with minimal finishing, not sure.

Having never tried to build a nice-looking pedal before, I had no idea of the talent on this forum that is showcased in the pictures thread.
It ain't as easy as it looks!  :D

oldschoolanalog

Where did you get that cool enclosure?

Jdansti

Whoops!  Looks like you fixed the images at the same time that I reposted them. Thanks!
  • SUPPORTER

Ronan

Having a lot of trouble with the pics, photobucket is playing up. I made that box Dave, took me a long time, the 2 pieces are sanded and filed to fit each other. Got any cool ideas for finishing it? A relic'ed finish maybe?

Thanks John, I moved the pics from photobucket to dropbox. Dunno what was going on there...

Jdansti

Nice job on building the box. Don't feel bad.  I'm all thumbs when it comes to finishing enclosures.  :icon_neutral:
  • SUPPORTER

oldschoolanalog

Quote from: Ronan on October 11, 2012, 09:47:51 PMI made that box Dave, took me a long time, the 2 pieces are sanded and filed to fit each other. Got any cool ideas for finishing it? A relic'ed finish maybe?
DIY enclosure. Nice work! Be sure to mention that in your video. :icon_cool: Ideas for finishing? Have a look/see at the Pictures section. Lots of great and different styles and techniques on display there.

midwayfair

Wait, all we need is one more $10 entry, not necessarily a 15th contestant?

I "might" "end up with" a "second" board in that case, but it's not going in this enclosure!
My band, Midway Fair: www.midwayfair.org. Myself's music and things I make: www.jonpattonmusic.com. DIY pedal demos: www.youtube.com/jonspatton. PCBs of my Bearhug Compressor and Cardinal Harmonic Tremolo are available from http://www.1776effects.com!

pakrat

I just put in another 20 bucks. I hope this helps the forum, and this competition  ;D

garcho

what a school of gentlemen we have here, bravo y'all!
  • SUPPORTER
"...and weird on top!"

Jdansti

Thanks to everyone who entered, especially those who ponied up more than one entry fee.  A new tally should show that we've got enough entries. :)
  • SUPPORTER

Govmnt_Lacky

Be sure to enter a build for each and every entry fee that you paid  ;D

Looking forward to some phenomenal pedals!!!!  :o
A Veteran is someone who, at one point in his or her life, wrote a blank check made payable to The United States of America
for an amount of 'up to and including my life.'

oldschoolanalog

So..... we have a contest? It's official?
That was like getting the cat in the box to go to the vet!
Good luck to all. Some great stuff to be won.  :icon_cool:

pakrat

Quote from: oldschoolanalog on October 12, 2012, 09:48:24 AM
So..... we have a contest? It's official?

+1 Is it officially ummm....... official?