Turkey Day SHOOTOUT Competition

Started by Govmnt_Lacky, September 15, 2012, 02:31:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jdansti

I'm working on my own design for a _____ pedal, inspired by a couple of other designs by others. It's funny how you think that you've got an original idea only to find that someone else had already thought of it. Anyway, I finished the breadboard work a few days ago, finally settling on a final configuration, and I got the schematic on the computer. I've also drawn about 90% of the enclosure artwork.  I finished the PCB design tonight and will to etch a couple of boards tomorrow if I can squeeze in some time between my "honey-do" chores.  Just taking it in steps.
  • SUPPORTER
R.G. Keene: EXPECT there to be errors, and defeat them...

Perrow

Mine is ready for the catwalk, just have to get the family out of the house and make away with the shame of being a noob on the guitar (although I've played a lot more than usual lately, knowing I've had this "gig" coming).
My stompbox wiki -> http://rumbust.net

Keep this site live and ad free, donate a dollar or twenty (and add this link to your sig)

garcho

Quotethe shame of being a noob on the guitar

Virtuosos make some of the worst musicians, don't worry!
  • SUPPORTER
"...and weird on top!"

pakrat

I hope I make it, we got hammered here by hurricane Sandy and I lost a prescious week of design time  :'(  Hopefully ordering parts today....

pinkjimiphoton

+1

dude...example.

i host an open mic every tuesday nite. we pride ourselves on accepting all instruments, all styles, all levels.
usually, every body gets 3 songs or 20 minutes, whatever comes first..if they're good, sometimes more.

anyways, this one guy shows up... a berkley school of music grad, and a triple threat to boot..guitar, keys, and bass.

and he couldn't play at ALL. no chops/no groove/no rhythm/no nothing.

he knows every aspect of theory etc, but cannot apply any of it...i mean, we're playing feelin' alright by dave mason, trying to dummy it down for this guy...2 chords, C7/F9.

the laws of probability would suggest that statistically, he'd be on the right chord 50% of the time, right? but nooooooooooooooooooooooooo

:icon_mrgreen:

i'll put it this way...

most first week guitar players would blow this virtuoso berkley guy off the face of the earth in the first 5 notes.

so don't sweat the petty stuff, just pet the sweaty stuff...or something...and remember, we ain't judging you or your chops, we're judging your creation and the tone it creates... and whether playing simple open chords, or yngwie-esque perfect syntactical lead guitar, that don't matter.

the circuit, and what it sounds like, and how it's presented matter. how well you play or don't doesn't enter the equation, thank god,
cuz i would sink like a bloody f'n stone compared to a lot of the guys out there, and reading this even.

rock on...and get them things working, the deadline is closing in!! ;)
  • SUPPORTER
"When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace."
Slava Ukraini!
"try whacking the bejesus outta it and see if it works again"....
~Jack Darr

Jdansti

Quote from: garcho on November 04, 2012, 12:51:59 PM
Quotethe shame of being a noob on the guitar

Virtuosos make some of the worst musicians, don't worry!

Just curious if anyone has tried talking the output from an MP3 player, tweak it to approximate the output amplitude of a guitar, and use it for testing pedals by playing a clean guitar recording. Would pedals behave the same or similar as a real guitar?
  • SUPPORTER

pinkjimiphoton

yah, john, charlie (mooseapotamus) shows that on his set up videos for the mxr flanger clone.

it works fine...tho not perfect, as there's usually a little more compression with a sound file, not as "peaky" as a guitar signal is likely to be.

but i do it...if i have to audio probe, i throw on a cd or something, and let it play...and then probe thru the circuit.

putting a loop thru a pedal is way easier imho than trying to play guitar whilst tweak-o-maticing.
  • SUPPORTER
Slava Ukraini!
~Jack Darr

Jdansti

Quote from: pakrat on November 04, 2012, 12:59:39 PM
I hope I make it, we got hammered here by hurricane Sandy and I lost a prescious week of design time  :'(  Hopefully ordering parts today....

I hope you and your family are ok and can get back to normalcy soon. :)
  • SUPPORTER

Jdansti

Quote from: pinkjimiphoton on November 04, 2012, 01:05:27 PM
yah, john, charlie (mooseapotamus) shows that on his set up videos for the mxr flanger clone.

it works fine...tho not perfect, as there's usually a little more compression with a sound file, not as "peaky" as a guitar signal is likely to be.

but i do it...if i have to audio probe, i throw on a cd or something, and let it play...and then probe thru the circuit.

putting a loop thru a pedal is way easier imho than trying to play guitar whilst tweak-o-maticing.

Thanks Jimi. I'll have to take a look at Charlie's example.
  • SUPPORTER

pakrat

Thanks John. Everyone is ok here, but man did this ever suck lol!

pinkjimiphoton

Quote from: Jdansti on November 04, 2012, 01:06:19 PM
Quote from: pakrat on November 04, 2012, 12:59:39 PM

I hope you and your family are ok and can get back to normalcy soon. :)

+10,000,000,000,000,000,000

we were lucky here, this year...we got hammered last year, 8 days with no power or heat.
hope all afflicted make out alright.
  • SUPPORTER
Slava Ukraini!
~Jack Darr

pakrat

Glad to hear it missed you Jimi! This was the worst storm on record for our area. Last year we had no power for 9 days, this year only 5. I gotta tell ya, I'll take internet over power haha!

pinkjimiphoton

lol...i hear ya!! i was running my computer and modem off a generator sporadically for a few days, until the dang thing crapped out. i am an electricity junky. ;)

glad to hear ya made out a little better...we went 8 last year, this year i think the power blipped once. it's probably cuz last year all the trees that were gonna come down did, so it helped PREVENT the polyanna from the utility company this year, and what could have been a freshly epic fail.

edit: prevent, pink, not repeat, ya dumbschmuck hippie...
  • SUPPORTER
Slava Ukraini!
~Jack Darr

pakrat

We had a generator but it crapped out the second day. Luckily we were able to fix it, but my cable was out so I had to resort to the old laptop + dvds. I'm just glad it's over.... until that nor'easter hits us Wed. Oh happy day  >:(

Jdansti

The eye of Ike went over our area.  I was able to get a new 5KW generator a few days before the storm hit and I made up a 10-ga extension cord to run to the house to keep the frig, lights, fans, and computers going.  Turns out we were without power for only 12 hours while the folks on the block across the street went without power for about 10 days.  My generator got shuttled around to several homes over the next two weeks, so it was put to good use.  You never can be too prepared.
  • SUPPORTER

garcho

Glad to hear y'all are alright!

Chicago's lucky, our only severe weather is gang warfare.

Oh yeah, and traffic. It took me an hour to go 5 miles yesterday.

20 miles of flooded subway in NYC!
  • SUPPORTER
"...and weird on top!"

Jdansti

Quote from: garcho on November 04, 2012, 08:14:28 PM
Glad to hear y'all are alright!

Chicago's lucky, our only severe weather is gang warfare.

I heard it was raining bullets up there.  :o
  • SUPPORTER

haveyouseenhim

Quote from: Jdansti on November 04, 2012, 09:19:22 PM
I heard it was raining bullets up there.  :o

ba dum tssss
  • SUPPORTER
http://www.youtube.com/haveyouseenhim89

I'm sorry sir, we only have the regular ohms.

Ronan

I've been steadily working on Plan B, and I don't want you guys to think I'm loafing, so here's a pic of some progress.

digi2t

Quote from: Ronan on November 05, 2012, 04:50:01 AM
I've been steadily working on Plan B, and I don't want you guys to think I'm loafing, so here's a pic of some progress.

And when you're done that, I want you to braid your sisters hair, and then knit me a sweater.

:icon_lol:
  • SUPPORTER
Dead End FX
http://www.deadendfx.com/

Asian Icemen rise again...
http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=903467

"My ears don't distinguish good from great.  It's a blessing, really." EBK